We need another all-purpose running-back for this new offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Jan 20, 2012.

1. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

what about a 2nd TE who can catch like Greg Olsen?
    is olsen a good blocking TE?

2. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

I think Carolina gave up a 3rd for him last year so they will def re-sign him but honestly there's only 4 FA's I wanna bring in

1. Mario Williams
    2. Reggie Nelson
    3. Braylon Edwards
    4. Robert Meachem

everything else through the draft

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

We would be lucky to get 2,3 and 4. Mario Williams will be the highest pursued and maybe paid FA this year (a healthy Manning could get more). With our cap situation, there’s no way that is happening, especially while adding other quality starters.

4. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

They're misguided. If you have a top guard, one who will hold down the spot for 5-7 years, you do it. RBs are moving parts, they have a very short shelf life. And for the most part, teams get away with 2 or 3 decent to good RBs, using them interchangably.

I agree that big-time FA running back deals don't make sense most of the time in today's NFL.

5. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Draft Trent Richardson.

6. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

1. RB have a short life span
    2. RB without OL means that you're running game sucks (unless you've got Barry Sanders).

There's so many other positions that need upgrades more than RB:

The Jets have a tremendous hole @ RT. They've also got a RG who will most likely be out of football in less than 3 years. They've got zero TE that block (assuming they cut Mulligan). Assuming Holmes comes back, now the only other decent WR left on the roster is Kerley who's only a 2nd year player.

Defensively, their inability to get to the edge was badly exposed this year. Their safety position also needs upgrading ... especially since the Pats (and their 2 TE attack) is in the same division.

#46 ajax, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  7. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

No offense, but I think drafting a RB in the 1st round would be like Kyle Brady > Warren Sapp. I don't care if it's the BPA. That RB will be splitting carries at best. I'll take the next best OLB, RT/G and Safety over a RB any day. Matter of fact, I don't want to see us draft a RB at all in this draft. As it's been said, it's a short life/plug and play position. If the OL opens holes any RB should be able to run through it.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Kyle Brady could block and was useful for a long time at least.

9. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

Its possible Meachem and Edwards wont cost much, the only team we'll compete with Nelson for is Cincinnati.

Mario Williams will be able to test the market. Houston wont franchise him at 21mil, if Rex can convince him to come here our defense will finally be elite

10. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

Folks, the Jets pockets will not be deep for this upcoming offseason F/A market, we do have a cap to contend with. Having said that, we have much bigger issues to address with the limited money that is available.

If we can get the offensive line back in order the R/B's we currently have on the roster should do the job quite nicely.

Greene
    can pound the rock with the best of them if the holes are there. I really believe with an upgrade to the O -line, Greene will be a monster for a few years

McKnight
    is the unknowen, this kld is super fast, I know he is small, but we really have not seen enough of him. I have a gut feeling this kid is something special, with a possible breakout year in front of him, now that LT will no longer be with us.

Powell,

I was very unimpressed with this year, but I will give him some play with no offseason program and very limited T/C. This coming season he will have had time to adjust to the speed of the pro game and gotten that rookie season out of the way. Might be the the surprise of the coming season, I did say MIGHT

So spend the monies in the areas that need more upgrade then RB's and by doing so you make what we have that much better....

#50 fltflo, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

It would be a mistake to spend money on a FA RB. I'd like to know what we have with Powell. I think we can model our RB by committee after what NO does.

12. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

if our focus is the ground and pound, then we need an elite back. a guy who can make something out of nothing, break off long runs. this isn't just about running through holes. yeah, anyone can run through holes but it's making a difference once you get to the second level. and that's something that greene does not do.

out of the top 15 rushing teams in 2011, 10 teams have an elite back. broncos are first but they don't really count. dwill/stewart, reggie bush, saints backfield and the chiefs are the other 4 teams.

greene is not even close to what we need. he's a north/south guy who doesn't break tackles and lacks speed. mcknight and powell haven't proven anything yet. he might get his numbers through sheer volume of carries but when was the last time greene did something impressive?

13. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Greene looked perfectly capable of being a top back when the line was opening holes for him. Unless you have AP or a similar guy will gain 5 yards with no blocking the run game is pretty reliant on the line.

Which brings me back to the only large investment in a RB that would be acceptable being Richardson falling to 16 which is unlikely. Nobody else is worth big money or a top draft pick.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I will agree with this 100%, one of the biggest issues that need to be resolved is the oline, we could have Dickerson and Curtis Martin in the backfield, but if you can't block for them it means nothing, lets fix the oline first and then worry about RB's.

I agree we need an explosive multi-purpose back but our priority is Oline first.:)

15. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

a few days ago, i read a blurb on greene that he averaged 2.0 yards after contact.. his longest run being 31 yards. 2.0 was good for 30th in the league. for a back of his build, that's pretty poor.

greene is just an average back. he'll run through holes that are there right in front of him but that's really all there is in his toolset. he can't cut back or break tackles. he takes what is given.

all of that being said.. i don't want the jets to throw all of their money at forte or another fa. but they should really be looking for someone in the draft even after drafting greene, mcknight and powell.

16. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

No doubt Greene wasn't anything more than average this past year, that isn't what I was saying. He was an above average back when he got carries behind a good line which makes me think the line is the more important factor in the running game being successful.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Broncos during their Superbowl days beg to differ. Having good OL made 6th rounder a hall of famer, and then churned out 1000+ yard rushers year in and year out. The other way around? If you get a quintessential RB in Barry Sanders, you can live without OL. So you are saying Jets should draw their lottery ticket in RB in the hope that they might find their Barry Sanders, when the clearly easier road is to build the strength up front in OL, right?

I knew you were brilliant. This is just one of such occasion.

18. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

As much as I would love to have Richardson on the team I just can't see how it could be justified when there are so many other big needs (OL, S, OLB). If he did unexpectedly drop to 16 I realize how tempting it would be - I guess it would depend on what other players were available at the other positions of need. I'd just hate to see the Oline neglected in favor of a big time RB who would then be hampered by a subpar line.

19. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Very very underrated, big bodied, good hands, and a deep threat. I'd love if we picked him up.

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

We have to create a offensive system with safety nets like Carolina did with Newton.

So two very good tight ends and a stellar running game helps