Jets to hire Tony Sparano as Offensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Jan 10, 2012.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Eh I don't know with Jets fan. The first reaction would be to cut the holder no matter who it is and not look at the rest of the game. You know how reactionary we are.

Interesting fact, but not one needed I think.

2. jets2884

jets2884 Active Member

I was going to post this in the twitter thread but I figured I would put it here since everyone is debating the Sparano move in this thread. They just finished the conference call in which they introduced Sparano as the OC and these are the twitter feeds of the beat writers:

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta
    Sparano on Sanchez: "He has a lot of good qualities. Athletic. Good release. Can get out of trouble... and extend plays." #nyj

Sparano: "I like playing a physical style of offense. Doesn't mean you're going to run the ball 55 times a game." #nyj

RichCimini Rich Cimini
    Sparano on philosophy: Want physical offense. Doesn't mean run 55 x. It's protecting QB, attitude of WRs. We'll be explosive, get down fld

nyjets New York Jets
    Sparano on Sanchez: "Always difficult to prepare for. Athletic, good release, can make all the throws. I'm happy to be with him."

RichCimini Rich Cimini
    Sparano on teaching QBs: Says he can develop QBs. We'll be able to help Sanchez a lot of ways, start with basic fundamentals of pos. #Jets

RichCimini Rich Cimini
    Sparano on dissension: I'm a show-me guy. It'll be clean piece of paper. Change is good. Lot of good pieces in place, lot of weapons. #Jets

nyjets New York Jets
    Sparano: "This is a 'show-me' game. Once players get here, it'll be a blank piece of paper as far as I'm concerned."

Sparano says he preaches to all his QBs to "get to Square 1" and "bring him back fundamentally" in the offseason. #nyj

RichCimini Rich Cimini
    Sparano says he'll get back to fundamentals, game-management with Sanchez. We'll look at turnovers, everything. #Jets

RichCimini Rich Cimini
    Sparano on his system: Will be different than Schotty's. Says they have to form an identity. Believes in vertical plays, 20+ chunk plays.

Sparano on making changes to offensive system: "Certainly I come in with a little different system and style." #nyj

RichCimini Rich Cimini
    Sparano on Haley: Won't say which position he's being considered for. Good relationship, fun to meet with him. #Jets

nyjets New York Jets
    Sparano: "I'm thrilled to be a part of this team. This is home for me, and I'm looking forward to it."

There was more from Rex and Tanny but I decided to post just Sparanos answers. I dont know about you guys but I like what I hear.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Some good stuff in there: protecting the QB is a priority and he wants to take downfield shots are my two favorites. I want to see it in action, but it sounds good.

4. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Looks like we'll be running some playaction downfield passes, old school Raider ball, which Sanchez is suited for.

5. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

Sparano will be on the michael kay show at 330

6. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

said all the right things in his presser.

i'm excited.

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

Taking shots and protecting the QB. Love it.

8. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Yes, it is. We just need to get him a receiver who can get down the field.

9. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

I read the conference call article. He said the team is going to be physical. He said they are going to be a running team. What I like best is he said all the players are a blank peice of paper and to "show me". I take this as he will take the best players who work hard and play hard will play. If you don't produce, you don't play!

LOVE IT!!!!!

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I think if he focuses on one area of a football team then Sparano can do well.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

12. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

He talks a good talk, but I am far from excited. Just listen to the things he was saying before the Dolphins 2011 season:

Edit: I can't post the link, but you can look it up with the following

/2011/9/1/2397625/miami-dolphins-host-kickoff-lunch-head-coach-tony-sparano-sets

That team won 4 games with him as head coach and finished 7 spots lower than the Jets Offense did in points scored. In his 3.5 years with the Dolphins he has a 7-23 record against teams with a winning record, good for a .233 winning percentage. He also has never won a playoff game.

I honestly would rather have Shotty back. :sad:

#272 Testaverde, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  13. sg3

sg3 Banned

imagine how awful it could have been if we had hired Vinny Interceptaverde for the job

14. jets2884

jets2884 Active Member

Number one, stop drinking. You would rather have Schotty back? Your nuts. lol 2nd, he's coming in as an OC not a head coach so he can focus on offense and offense only. His head coaching record is irrelevant.

The more I hear from this guy the more excited I get. This team has talent and I think his philosophy will play to the strengths of this team, something Schotty was never able to do on a consistent basis.

15. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

If any one says Mark Sanchez doesn't have a good deep throw is nuts. And I think sparono will create a offense to everyone's strengths which is nice for a change

16. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

I think I am the only one that is not drinking since you guys are excited for Sparono being OC. If Haley comes in, I'll feel a little better but as is, this is a very disappointing hire. Shotty was not our biggest problem, and we replaced him with an unknown who I think will end up being worse than Shotty.

17. sg3

sg3 Banned

lets stick with the facts

FACT NUMBER ONE

the Jets just got rid of an offensive coordinator that has SUCKED for SIX FULL SEASONS

Hallelujah

18. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

His presser has me confident.

19. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

Fact, Sparono has never been a full time OC. He played a big part in the Dolphins offense which was actually worse than ours.

Funny, when people argue about how bad Sanchez is all I hear is we made it to back to back AFC Championship games. Shotty was the OC when we made those runs right? Now, we replace him with Morono. I just don't get this hire. Shotty wasn't great, but people will wish we had him back after a season with Sparono running this O.

20. sg3

sg3 Banned

you loved Schottenheimer and wanted him to stay

fortunately, the Jets didn't agree with you

thank GOD