Jets to hire Tony Sparano as Offensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Jan 10, 2012.

1. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

well said, Sparano's style smacks of Rex's sensibilites

2. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Ands that why i like it! We need someone to input some energy and discipline

3. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

for a team that seems hell bent on making headlines, the oc interview process was strangely secretive.

i didn't read anything about the jets bringing in candidates but bam, 20 minutes after schotty resigns, sparano is in. very weird.

the jets bringing in haley makes me feel a bit uneasy about sparano. if they want haley to take over the passing game.. why didn't we just look at a guy who can control the whole offense? is there another team in the league with this setup?

i don't know much about hue jackson but it seemed like he was a popular choice on this board. why didn't we at least bring him in for an interview..

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sparano has been available for the last month and the Jets could plan around him as a potential replacement for Schotty. Hue only got fired a week ago. Until that point it looked for all the world like he was Raiders HC next season.

The point on Sparano being there almost immediately after Schotty left seems to suggest the Jets had been talking to Sparano for quite a while before that moment. Conspiracy theorists would have a strong case that the Sparano hire was actually done on a hand shake a week or more before it actually happened and then everybody sat and waited to see what happened in Jacksonville.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I promise you if we lost in the same way the board would criticize Brian Schottenheimer. They failed to win, he's never been part of a playoff win.

They lost 21-20 and gave up a safety, if they don't allow the safety the botched FG is irrelevant, right? at the very least the game gets to OT. Dallas also scored on a KR so that's a -9 from the points the offense scored but clearly Sparano coached his side of the ball to win.

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Well now is the safety the fault of the oline? You argue Schotty bashers didn't watch games and just blamed everything on him instead of execution. Now it seems like you are blaming everything on Sparano like fans did with Schotty. You can't criticize people for blaming everything on Schotty and then turnaround and blame everything on Sparano.

I also promise you every single person would get on Mark Brunnell for botching the snap.

And wasn't Schotty 0-1 in his first playoff game?

#246 displacedfan, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't consider myself a conspiracy theorist at all, but all signs point to something like that almost certainly being the case here.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Please don't try and talk logically to him, for your own sake. You're wasting your time.

9. nyjunc

I am NOT blaming Sparano, I don't know the circumstances. I simply pointed out that if it happened to us the OC would get the blame for the O not scoring enough points.

This comes from pointing out an interesting fact that Tony Sparano has never been part of a playoff win- whether a HC, assistant or whatever.

10. nyjunc

I love posters that hide behind others and make things up that I never wrote.

By the way way, how did Tony and the O do their job when they gave up 2 pts on a safty and had a KR TD? So that means they were responsible for a net of 11 pts- you aren't winning many playoff games scoring 11 pts.

11. BroadwayAaron

No one needs to hide behind anybody when it comes to you. You dig your own grave with the shit you say. The problem is you expect people to take you seriously. You shoot down anyone who says a negative word about Schotty, but then you bring up the same thing about Sparano and play the "oh I'm just pointing it out" card. God forbid anyone pointed anything out about Schotty and you'd rag on the players instead.

12. nyjunc

The difference is I never blamed Sparano for the loss, people like you would blame Schottenheimer if we had a simialr loss.

You pull out this quote:

"Sparano coached his side of the ball to a win"

gave up a safety and had a KR TD, their O scored 13 and gave up 2 so the net was 11 and you are talking about credibility?

I have stated over and over again Brian deserved his share of the blame but he was being blamed for EVERYTHING b/c we always need a scapegoat. It's the easy thing to do for the average fan.

13. BroadwayAaron

You want to talk about bringing up things people never said? Who blamed Schotty for EVERYTHING? And don't give a shitty blanket answer and say "omg look at the Schotty thread" because most of that thread is people responding to your blind homerism. Find me where people totally discount any mistakes Mark, the o-line or the people catching/running the ball made. Please.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You need to read more posts and threads around here. There's a good 25% base that throws everyone and everthing else having to do with the Jets under the bus before they would even think of saying anything bad about Sanchez.

15. BroadwayAaron

Not the point. I'm saying there is no one that blames SOLELY Schotty for offensive failures without acknowleding some other facet of the game failing. Not necessarily just Mark.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

And another 25% that did the same for Schotty. :wink:

17. nyjunc

I'm not sure if anyone did that, 'm pretty sure I was one of the few vocal supporters of the OC but I never absolved him from blame. He deserved his sahre as did everyone else associated w/ that offense. The problem I had was everyone blaming him every time something went wrong and never giving him credit when things went well.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I gave him credit after the playoff wins. So did the Schotty supporters, although not too many of them mentioned execution from what I remember.

19. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Looks like if Jeff Fisher takes the Miami job he'll want Shotty as his OC.

20. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Usually that's about continuity, which is a big plus if you can keep it instead of people learning a new offense all the time. Not saying it's right or wrong in this case, but it is what I thought they would do if Schotty got another job. Evidently not.