Jets to hire Tony Sparano as Offensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Eh, Denver is doing jsut fine with power running and deep playaction passing. This will help get us back to the idenity Rex wants, Power offense and strong defense. Still a long way to go to fix some of the problems, but I'm all for the new start and new direction.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Are you really going to use Denver as your example? Prior to last week that offense was a complete fucking joke. I don't think they have much of a chance at keeping up with NE either.

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Your devious plan made me do some more work. Good job there, Br4d.

In 2008, (the Pennington year) Miami had pretty good protection, with 26 sacks during 496 drop backs, good for 10th in the entire league. (5.26%)

In 2009, they did slightly worse, with 34 sacks during 545 drop backs (6.23%, 15th in the league)

In 2010, again the protection regressed slightly - 38 sacks/557 drop backs (6.82%, 19th)

Last year was a killer year - the protection broke down completely, yielding 52 sacks during 469 drop backs. (11.1%, 30th)

As you can see, the regress in protection somehow fits pretty well with the regress in QB play too. All in all, we should expect to see Sanchez struggling for years to come.

==================================================

Sanchez haters do have some merit in this protection analysis, since the usual suspects with top protection are also the usual suspects with top QB plays (New Orleans, Indianapolis Colts with Manning, and Patriots with Brady.) It can work both ways: if the OL gives up 30+ sacks every year, the QB is not likely to have top notch QB play (unless, otherwise the QB is named Aaron Rodgers) and then again, you can also claim that, if your QB can't get his head out of his ass, the OL can protect the QB only for so long.

===========================================================================

That said, Sparano's team never ranked below 10 in rushing average during his watch, ranking within top 5 twice in that span. Like you said, Br4d, this does bode very well with what Rex wants to do, which is smashmouth football. Now, if Jets can beef up on the OL and replenish the depth along, it could work very well.

P.S. Sparano's Cowboys during 2006 was pretty good in terms of performance, 26.6 points a game. (4th in the league - that's good enough for me. That alone is better than Schottenheimer!) They still gave up 37 sacks that year - which worries me somewhat, but then I realized the sack stat was skewed because Cowboys played Giants and Eagles (Jim Johnson) twice - but if the offense scores almost 4 TDs a game, with a rushing attack that averages 4.1 yards a carry, I'd say that's still very fine job as an OC. His play calling was pretty much balanced as well - Dallas logged 31.6 passes a game while logging 29.5 rushes a game. That is, by average 121 yards on the ground per game - which I have no problem with.

#63 Zach, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  4. mute

mute Well-Known Member

we still need a WR.

5. jerseyjet0912

jerseyjet0912 Banned

Talk about the cure being worse than the disease

Tony fuckin Sparano. are you shittin me?

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

LOL...this team is going to lead me to an early grave. Sparano??? WTF!

7. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

so far the only guy sourcing news that Sparano is getting hired is this asshole:

[​IMG]

8. legler82

Sparano or Schotty won't matter; if we dont improve protection and get some speed on the outside, there will be no stretching of the field.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Yeah, fuck Mortensen. Schefter or GTFO with these rumors.

/blind faith

10. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Incarcerated Bob redux

11. MiamiDolphin

MiamiDolphin Active Member

12. legler82

Tanny and Rex have certainly hitched their wagon to this signing. If Sparano is a dud at OC, they might be fired.

13. mute

mute Well-Known Member

14. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Manish also confirmed it.

15. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

16. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Some funny lines:

"Get ready for some field goals New York!"

"Can you fist-pump a false start? I guess we'll find out."

"I have a feeling that a lot of the Schotty haters in NYC are throwing up in their mouths right now!"

"Just what the doctor ordered to help the Jet's struggling young QB and offense.....if you're a Dolphin fan."

Fuck the Fish fans, but these made me laugh.

17. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

This is true, but look at the QBs that are doing it: Brees, Brady, and the guys that got close: Stafford, Manning, Rodgers. Those guys have multiple weapons (or in Stafford's case, the BEST weapon) and are elite QBs - something Sanchez will never be. He can be very good, but he won't be in the class of any of those guys.

18. jerseyjet0912

jerseyjet0912 Banned

paul hackett all over again

19. FinFan4Ever

FinFan4Ever Member

This is why most Fin fans did not like Sparano, he was sold to us by freakin' Parcells as this OL guru and every year that unit went backwards and it drove the fans nuts.

20. Gang Greener

Gang Greener Member

Forget those stupid dolfag fans