Sanchez: 32 TD's and 18 Interceptions...Regression?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Except those stats don't prove what you want them to.
    He is significantly worse in Rating, Completion percentage, TD/INT ratio and YPA.
    This despite playing in a year where the average Qb put up much better stats than every before.
    In any normalized statistic he trails well behind, despite the average of those stats being higher. If you really wanted to do the math and adjust for year to year inflation as well the already large difference would be even more severe.

2. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Wait, what? He is nowhere near! It's not even close...

Sanchez - 16 GS, 543 PaAtt, 308 PaComp, 56.7%, 3474 PaYds, 103 RuYds, 26 PaTDs, 6 RuTDs, 18 INTs, 8 FL

Brees - 15 GS, 400 PaAtt, 262 PaComp, 65.5%, 3159 PaYds, 85 RuYds, 27 PaTDs, 2 RuTDs, 7 INTs, 2 FL

Rodgers - 15 GS, 475 PaAtt, 312 PaComp, 65.7%, 3922 PaYds, 356 RuYds, 28 PaTDs, 4 RuTDs, 11 INTs, 1 FL

Brady - 16 GS, 527 PaAtt, 317 PaComp, 60.2%, 3620 PaYds, 63 RuYds, 23 PaTDs, 1 RuTD, 12 PaINTs, 5 FL

I really don't see ANY comparison there in any stat! Look at the pass attempts that kept Brees' numbers down. It should be noted that Brady put up a slightly better year the year before (really year 2 for him). I just don't get how anyone can make that argument that it's even close. The guy makes way too many stupid mistakes.

#322 MikeSLTJ23, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  3. avrus

avrus New Member

You and I have already had several go arounds on this.

If you take Tom Brady's stats, 3.5% completion difference is not 'significant'. He has 3 less fumbles, more rushing TDs and 3 more passing TDs.
    Again, this is Tom Brady. The fact that he's even in the same ballpark in stats should be enough to quiet the detractors.
    You've already made your opinion clear about Sanchez, my comment was in reply as to whether I was comparing their actual 3rd year, or the 3rd season in a row they were playing.

4. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

Brady has 16 less attempts, 9 more completions, 3.5% better completion percetnage, 146 more yards, .5 more yards per attempt, 3 fewer touchdowns, and 9 fewer turnovers.

3 more passing touchdowns make it close?

This was actually a down year for Brady too, his previous season he performed better, although he had many more passing attempts, and the following season was also statistically better, this time with many less passing attempts.

5. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

You can't use Bree's 3rd season to compare to Sanchez' 3rd season since Brees only played in 1 game his rookie year. If you want to compare fairly, find all of the QBs that started the majority of the games in their first 3 seasons, and then you can compare their stats in the 3rd season. Take a look at Joe Flacco, and Matt Ryan. Both were significantly better in their 3rd season than Sanchez.

6. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

The problem is that it really means nothing when evaluating QBs, either way. Here's one for the other side:

John Joseph Harrington

56.0% Comp%, 6.2 YPA, 3.9 TD%, 2.5 INT%, 77.5 QBR

Mark Sanchez

56.7% Comp%, 6.4 YPA, 4.8 TD%, 3.3 INT%, 78.2 QBR

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Wait a second. So you're saying that because Brees got to sit and watch the NFL game his first season and get some perspective on it that he was somehow handicapped in his second full season playing?

You're saying that because Sanchez got thrown into the fire in a playoff race in NYC his rookie season that he derived some additional benefit from that? By being able to throw 20 interceptions as a rookie for example?

BTW, I don't disagree with you on the notion that Flacco and Ryan are better comparisons in some ways than the other guys. Josh Freeman is a really good comparison. Eli Manning was a really good comparison. Ben Roethlisberger was a really good comparison.

I just don't think that you can throw Drew Brees results out the window when you look at Sanchez. Brees clearly had a worse season.

#327 Br4d, Jan 5, 2012
  8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I fucking hate you lol

9. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

JP Losman
    62.5% Comp% 7.1 YPA 4.4 TD% 3.3 INT% 84.9 rating

I hear he's available.

10. avrus

avrus New Member

The chart is Bree's 4th, Brady's 4th and Rodgers' 6th.

11. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

I am saying you can't compare two different QBs 3rd seasons when one of them didn't start his rookie year. Actual playing experience makes a huge difference. I'm not saying one is better than the other as Rodgers and Peyton make good arguments for both ways. I just don't think it is fair to compare a qb who played in only 1 game his rookie year to a guy who played 16. Brees 4th season in the NFL is really his 3rd with actual playing experience. However, comparing Brees 4th season to Sanchez 3rd season is not really fair either as Brees had a season to watch as you said. Either way is not a fair comparison.

I think the only fair way to compare is to take the Qbs who played in 16 games as a rookie and then you can compare apples to apples. Guys like Flacco, Ryan, Peyton, and any other QB that had been a rookie starter and remained the starter for 3 seasons.

I wasn't talking about your chart. I was talking about him comparing Brees 3rd season in the NFL to Sanchez stat wise when Brees sat his first year, and Sanchez played in all 16 games.

I could take that to an extreme and say Rodgers threw for 26 less TDs than Sanchez did in his 3rd season.

#331 Testaverde, Jan 5, 2012
  12. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

did you watch the games?

I remember there were numbers that showed JaMarcus Russell could throw a ball 86 yards....how did that work out?

13. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Sanchez could have easily had about a dozen interceptions in the last two games alone. There were about six or seven ducks he threw in the Giants game which could have easily been picked off. He was a QB who completely lost his composure and was becoming more desperate by the minute. One step forward and two steps back sums up his season.

14. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Screaming about dropped interceptions is a fools errand. Then we have to subtract in tipped balls too.

15. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

I raise you...

Byron Leftwich

57.9% Comp%, 7.0 YPA, 5.0 TD%, 1.7 INT%, 89.3 QBR

tbf, that ankle ruined his career.

EDIT: And I forgot Kyle Orton:

58.5% Comp%, 6.4 YPA, 3.9 TD%, 2.6 INT%, 79.6 QBR

#335 DisgruntledLionFan, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i think they show the lack of decision making ability. the tipped balls also are a very bad thing, whether they are a big thing on the stat line is irrelevant.

17. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

While I do agree that his decision making skills and composure were shot towards the end of the season I wouldn't really count dropped picks against him. Every QB in the league is going to throw something that could have been picked off but wasn't, wouldn't hold that against them.

This season was definitely a step or two back but not solely for Sanchez. It was the team in general. The offensive line, running game, special teams and wide receivers all took a step back in mind. Obviously the QB takes the most heat as they are the centre of attention but, win or lose, this is a team sport so you can't pin all the glory or all of the pain on one guy.

18. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

After his 3rd season, Tom Brady had 2 Super Bowl rings.

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Okay go on and talk about dropped picks. Come back with dropped passes, dropped touchdowns, successful passes called backed because of penalties, and wrong routes run. Factor those in and then we can also look at dropped picks.

In that same Giants game Dustin Keller dropped 4-5 passes. Not including those also? Dropped picks happen across the league and so do dropped passes. Everyone last year said Sanchez's interceptions are going to double because he "led" the league in "dropped" interception. Mind you, nobody explained what qualified as a "dropped" pick. This year his interceptions did not double and his stats gradually improved.

20. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Thanks because we didn't know that? People are trying to show that QB's don't jump into the great/elite status right away. Rings are a team accomplishment also which people so quickly forget.