Sanchez: 32 TD's and 18 Interceptions...Regression?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Four years is long enough to evaluate whether or not Sanchez is the guy. Realistically Schotty should have been gone this season, to give the Jets the best chance to really evaluate Sanchez, but the lockout screwed that opportunity for them.

I do know that if Sanchez is given a good chance he'll make the most of it as he eventually did in his first two seasons when he knew a lot less about the NFL than he does now.

If it turns out that what he gets again next year is what he was given this year then he'll move on and probably catch on with another team and wait for a chance.

Guys who can win tight games late on the road are few and far between. Like the Jets haven't had since at least Vinny and probably not since Namath.

2. Mr. Green Pants

That's my feeling, too. As erratic as he's been, Sanchez has done things you just won't see from guys who can't play.

3. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Tanny singled out the turn-overs and footwork on Francessa tonight. Those can be fixed

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Yes they can and I'm hopeful.

The thing that scares me is some games he seems to be in comand and in others he completely wilts in the situation. I want to belive the lack of protection combined with the loocker room discord caused some of that problem.

5. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Lack of protection for sure

He went into funk around the time of the Ravens game, where he got pounded, and never really came out of it

6. AlbanyJets

AlbanyJets New Member

Sanchez can play, he simply isn't dynamic enough to be an impact player and he's too shaky in his decision-making to be a high-level game manager.

Currently, he's an athletic backyard scramble type of quarterback. He's neither structured in his approach nor a big-play guy.

7. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

The Giants got rid of their Pro Bowl TE because he was a PITA to Eli Manning, a 5th-year QB with a SB ring.

Now....what do you think a 3rd-year QB like Sanchez was feeling, having to balance the team's needs with the 3 pre-Madonnas: Mason, Burress, and Holmes ? Think MAYBE the poor kid was a bit frazzled at times ? Think maybe he might not have been worrying about the Cover-2 on Thursdays but on how he could get Holmes 5 or 6 catches, and Burress 4 or 5, and Mason at least 3 ???

What is Mike Tannenbaum going to do for an encore -- tell Sanchez he wants him to 'settle down' and arrange a blind date with Lindsay Lohan ???

Good Grief......

8. VernonGholston

VernonGholston New Member

Sanchez is JP Losman on a better team. Trust me, Losman would make a beautiful throw and would look like a stud. Then, he couldn't hit a 2 yard pass. The 2 biggest qualities a QB needs to have is decision making and accuary. Sanchez lacks both of them.

Every fan makes excuses for their players. The fact is the previous 2 years, you had SB caliber teams and dragged Sanchez to an AFC Championship game. Every other fanbase knows he single handedly holds you back. His 4 touchdown game against the Bills was the worst 4 td game in NFL history.

We have Fitzpatrick, who is very limited physically. But I'd take him all day over Sanchez. Keller should be a top 10 tight end. Holmes was a breakout star playing with Big Ben. Fitz' highest drafted receiver is Stevie Johnson, who was a 7th rounder.

The Jets would be crazy not to look to upgrade the position. If the team is good enough around him, perhaps they can carry him to the playoffs. But the guy runs play action on 3rd and longs.

One day, like Bills' fans did with Losman, you'll realize that it wasn't everyone else fault. The QB just wasn't good enough. Congrats on another sweep though. :breakdance:

9. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

What an obscene comparison. Losman was a statue, Sanchez is mobile in the pocket and can create plays.

10. VernonGholston

VernonGholston New Member

Losman was very mobile. He was just an idiot. His 3rd year was his breakout year. The league wasn't in the juice ball era like it is now, so the tds aren't as high.

I'm telling you. Sanchez is Losman on a much, much better team. The Jets will always be limited with him as their QB.

11. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Interesting comment by Kordell Stewart on SportNation today.

There was a discussion about the Jets getting Manning. Cowherd said if the Jets get Manning then Sanchez is done.

Stewart: "Sanchez is already done. He's fragile in the mind."

Not saying I agree at all, just found it curious that 2 ex NFL QB's (Boomer and Stewart were BRUTAL in their comments on Mark today).

12. JetsKickAss

How about 4 road playoff wins ? And he didn't play bad in any of them.

How about his 2 losses in AFC CG's ???? 490 passing yards.....4 TD's.....1 INT......HE'S the one who got dragged ????????

13. JetsKickAss

Kordell Stewart being one of the great passing QB's of all time......how did he do for those GREAT Pitt teams in the playoffs ? Right....CHOKE CITY.

Lots of others very positive. Have some perspective.

14. KWJetsFan

In fairness, he's supposed to play his best in big games, right? What about the final 3 games down the stretch this year when the Jets were fighting for a playoff spot? He STUNK in all of them.

Just playing devils advocate.

15. KWJetsFan

Which ex QB's had good things to say about Mark at the end of this year?

16. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

He threw 18 picks but the D probably dropped another 10-15 picks. He still makes horrible throws but the thing that scares me is his attitude. He doesn't seem to have that fire that the best QBs have. He seems to just go with the flow. Holmes would have pulled that crap with Brady or Peyton there would have been a fight.

17. Br4d

I think the thing that made him wilt this year from mid-season on was the knowledge that he had no protection at all on the right edge and he took some hard blindside hits also.

Last year he had excellent composure under pressure and frequently just lay down when somebody was going to drive into him, minimizing the chance of a fumble or injury.

This year he didn't have the time to do even that because the hits were coming quickly and from odd angles. The play where Babin went from defensive left end all the way across the front and then just blew by Slauson on the other side of the line and straight to Sanchez must have blown his mind. That was like a scene right out of Alien only Sanchez didn't even have a rigged flamethrower in his hand to wave at the thing as it came at him.

18. Br4d

Randy Moss quit on Tom Brady. Seriously, the days when a QB could control a prima donna receiver are over if they ever existed. Bad behaviour in one place doesn't get you exiled to the CFL or the local car wash, it gets you sent to another team to be somebody else's headache.

19. Mr. Green Pants

I hate when people use nonsense stats like this to make an argument. I could just as easily say, "He would have had ten less interceptions if receivers didn't run bad routes and let balls bounce off their hands." Means nothing.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The last bit made me lol.

I agree the protection was crap and I think that had a ton to do with the lack of deep throwing game this year. Part of it Mark being unwilling to wait due to the big hits and shotty not calling them cause of the big hits.

Even when we did call plays like the slant and go they often did not have time to develop due to the pass protection.