Sanchez: 32 TD's and 18 Interceptions...Regression?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Jan 3, 2012.

1. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Anytime you can renegotiate a contract early and get an extension; it's a good thing.

Banking your next contract on your performance next year is a roll of the dice.

Like I said in my original post, let's see how the Jets FO handles the situation.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The opening drive was over 9 minutes they ran the ball down our throats. We didn't go three and out we got 1 or 2 first downs punted and had them backed up on their own 13. They proceeded to drive the entire field and stalled on our 30+ when they chose to go for it instead of kicking a FG. The fact is our D couldn't get themselve off the field because Pittsburgh ran the ball down their throats.

Our team was built on running the ball and playing D and playing field position. Against one of the best defensive teams in football our D got smoked, put are game plan on the shelf.

Once we were behind it was tee off time for a great Pittsburgh D. We needed our d to keep us in the game and shorten the field, they failed totally and our O wasn't able to change on a dime against a very tough D on the road.

3. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Yes, the first drive had a few first downs, I mentioned that. I don't care how many yards they rushed for, they had just 10 points to show for their 180+ yards of offense.

Giving up rushing yards or being unable to get off the field doesn't impact the OFFENSE, which not only couldn't gain yards or score, but couldn't stay on the field long enough for the defense to catch its breath, or look into and make some coaching adjustments (which obviously they did successfully at the half).

Well before it was "pin your ears back and rush the QB" time for the Pit D, we had multiple failed drives.

And don't tell me they coasted in the second half. They couldn't run OR throw. We adjusted successfully, plus stormed right out and scored a TD when the half started. They weren't killing time while punching their ticket to the SB yet.

You can't say a defense that gave up 17 got smoked. No way. It was even nice enough to toss in a safety after a Pittsburgh goalline stand. If instead of Downs, Safety, TD it went TD, Punt, TD -- This game goes to overtime.

The defense merely didn't meet its standard of "elite" -- The offense didn't meet its standard of "average"

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'm not saying keller had a bad season at all, but there were times when the two wetre not on the same page.

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The entire Jets team run was based on keeping games manageble. Against the Steelers on the road the D let the game get out of hand. Against that D on the road our D put us in a hole that couldn't be climbed out of. That's a fact that you simply don't want to deal with.

The Jets team that went to the playoffs the last two years was built exactly that way. Our D blew that game in Pitt right out of the shoot. Sanchez and our O was put in a bad position by a defensive team that came out flat and was run all over.

The defense sucked it wasn't not elite they were flat and run over.

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I think that's where my "Keller being a dink" comment came from. Like when he didn't turn his head around and Sanchez hit him with the pass right to the side of his head.

7. akibud

akibud Active Member

our offense needed to accomplish something, anything!! the Steelers were not going to roll over for us at home. If Sanchez was able to engineer even one long scoring drive that gave the D a breather, things might turn out different. Inspiration, motivation. A sense that we are all in!!

8. Mantana Soss

At what point in the game was the team in a hole that couldn't be climbed out of?

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I watched that game with 5 long time Jets fans. We basically said game over after the first 1st down on Pittsburgh's second drive.

Sanchez was 20 for 33 in that game with 2TD's and no Int's. That game was done when our D let it get out of hand in the first drive. Pittsburgh had to do nothing but play prevent after the fumble TD and when it got close they walked over our D again.

The D played half a game. On the road against a defensive team road teams need the D to stabalize the game and get the crowd settled down. Our D failed. We established the formula against SD the year before and Pittsburgh punched us in the mouth and drew blood.

#149 Biggs, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  10. Mantana Soss

This is so absurd I don't even know how to respond.

Here's one attempt, though: Of our 8 wins this season, the opponent scored first in 5 of them. Who cares how long Pitt's drive took? It's just one score.

After the fumble TD, Sanchez was 3 for 9 for 24 yards and no TDs in four drives, other than the one he gave Pittsburgh.

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Sanchez has next to no leverage at this point to get even a half decent extension.

He has to hope/believe that things will be better next for him next year and so it makes much more sense for him to delay it until he has a few decent games under his belt, otherwise there is not a hope in hell that he will get an 80-90m extension (as much as a pats fan would love to see that happen).

12. Mantana Soss

He does have "who the heck else are we going to play at QB" leverage.

But we also have "who the heck else is gonna pay you that kind of money" leverage.

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

The worst part of Sanchez' game is his decision making.If he corrects that and we hire an OC that plays more to his strengths and rolls him out of the pocket,along with an improved offensive line, i'm confident he can turn things around.

14. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

This, a hundred times. His lack of leadership, which really showed itself in the last game, is disturbing. The QB is the leader of the team, period. If he can't be, then he has to go find another profession.

15. DeutschlandFan

DeutschlandFan New Member

Please say that this was a joke. Thanks to the inability of the offense to do ANYTHING it is a wonder that outcome of the game was still in question at the 2 minute warning. Seriously, with the awful, and I mean absolutely horrible, performance the offense provided there it is amazing that the game wasn't a blowout. The defense gave up just 17 points, on the road, despite being on the field forever. Not only that, but they even provided a safety to keep the game alive when it appeared all was lost.
    The Sanchez led offense? Gave away more points in the first half than it scored and couldn't gain 2 yards in 4 chances at the goalline when a TD would have been the difference. This was followed by the aforementioned safety to keep hope alive provided by the defense which you claim "blew the game".
    The bottom line is that the defense was the ONLY reason why the game was even close. Show me any team that could go into a championship game in Pittsburgh, gain only about 60 yards in the first half, give up a touchdown return on a turnover, and fail to score on four downs from the 2 yard line, yet still have a very real chance to win then tell us all how the reason why they didn't win was because the DEFENSE didn't do enough. Ridiculous.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mendenhall had 95 yards rushing and the Steelers were up 17-0 before the Sanchez fumble. The defense lost the game.

After the 2010 free agency period and draft I said that the thing that worried me the most about the Jet's chances in 2010 was that they had over-reacted to the loss to Indy and stocked up to beat Manning if they saw him again but they'd probably get run all over by Pittsburgh or Baltimore in the next AFC championship game because they weren't stout enough against the run.

17. portfolio1

portfolio1 New Member

Regress-shmegress

Who cares if he regressed or not? What matters is ONLY whether he is the sort of talent one wants as their QB.

Sanchez throws lots of check downs and a lot of short passes in part due to the play calling and in part due to the lack of good pass blocking. With this in mind his completion percentage should be above average at least due to the short passing game he oftens plays. But not only is not not average is it poor. Not so so... pooooooor. He is simply and flatly not an accurate QB (note that this does not mean he cannot throw a good pass but that his accuracy is woefully inconsistent in a league that requires much more). Regardless of whether it is better this year than last.

For Sanchez to be of value he must play for a team that has:
    (1) a superior running game
    (2) receivers (WRs, TEs and RBs) who are fairly consistent in catching the ball - especially to partially compensate for his flaws
    (3) good pass blocking
    (4) a truly superior D that is good in red zone, third down and points allowed

He needs to improve in:
    (1) his ability and speed reading Ds - no reason to think he cannot
    (2) his accuracy - he likely can only do this to a moderate extent which might not be enough
    (3) improve his deep game in order to make the short game a little more open
    (4) reduce his interceptions (percentage) and fumbles SIGNIFICANTLY.... to the point where he is in the top 5 in the league.

If he makes improvements it will not matter of the team he is on does not make the improvements above in very big ways

18. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I distinctly remember that.

19. cobrien

cobrien Member

Agreed he has not regressed but this simply proves he's a 3rd year starter and still playing like noob rookie, not acceptable in today's game or at today's talent/compensation expectations of a starting QB. Starters are supposed to be finely tuned professionals not high school science projects. Sit his ass on the bench next year playing behind a hardcore vet with a bionic neck, this will be better for him in the long run!

20. nym05

nym05 New Member

he had 26 turnovers 9 of which came in the last 3 games. he needs one more year with a new oc and if he still plays like a rookie he has to go. i had alot of faith in sanchez but its become really hard to defend this guy.