Personal Feelings: 1 of 3 Worst Seasons Ever

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Jan 3, 2012.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I've followed this team since 1968 (age 6) but can say that I followed them religiously -- reading newspapers, getting Street & Smith, hitting the internet (post-1998), talk radio and ESPN and cable TV -- since the mid-1970's.

This to me was one of the 3 worst seasons ever, given the expectations and where we finished.

The other contenders: the 1983 season, when Joe Walton took over for Walt Michaels and wrecked the team that went to the AFC Championship Game. I would also put the 1999 team, but that comes with an asterisk given that Vinny went down in Game 1.

Dis-Honorable Mention: The 1986 team (overachieved early, fell apart late and choked in playoffs), 1987 (strike-shortened year but we started 2-0 and still flopped), 1993 (Coslet lost the team), 1994 (Fake Spike & Carrol lost the team), 1995 & 1996 (Kotitie never had the team), 1998 (we should have won the Super Bowl that year, $!%@%^@^#^# John Elway and all our fumbles in Denver), 2000 (Al Groh fooled the media into thinking the team was behind him), 2004 (Pittsburgh, playoffs, 'nuff said), 2008 (another collapse).

2. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

we are 8-8, there were much more forgettable seasons than this one.

Mark got another year of experience under his belt, 4th year is always the breakout year.

3. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

That's an insane thing to say. Any season during the 1970's and any season from 1987-1996 were worse than this. Herm's last season in 2005 was a complete circus, too.

You crazy.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

2008 was more disappointing than 2011 for me because in 08 we were the best team in the afc. Then we choked down the stretch and missed the playoffs.

5. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

My expectations were so low this year after losing the Championship game the last 2 years, I knew we would crap in our pants. What really hurt is the Giant loss and what it allowed them to accomplish. I hate them and their fans and I am taking major crap from them. I hate Rex and the Jets for losing to them, they were very beatable that day but my team sucks balls and the players did not really care which hurts. I hate life right now. Go Falcons

6. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Certainly the end was disappointing. But anytime the Jets are playing meaningful games in December and January I can't consider it that a bad year.

7. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

We never played well throughout the entire season so why were your expectations so high. 2008 was far more disappointing. Not to mention all of the losing seasons we have had in the past 2 decades.

8. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Nothing will EVER hurt worse than that double OT loss to Cleveland in the playoffs.

9. Jetrik

Jetrik Well-Known Member

Well said. I can think of far worse seasons since I started watching in the mid to late 90's than this one. This one reflected our 8-8 record: average.

10. Roger Vick

Roger Vick Banned

This season was painful, only because it was a slow, painful death.

The really bad teams of the '70s and late 80's-mid 90's at least had the decency to put us out of our misery quickly and relatively painlessly.

This season was also bad because at the end of it, we are left with the feeling that the whole team is spiraling out of control and tha management has no idea how to right the ship.

11. Jetrik

Jetrik Well-Known Member

You kinda got the feeling before it even started with how the off season went with losing so many guys. I know Braylon Edwards was injured this year, but I didn't want him to go. He was Sanchez's deep threat. Add to that Cotchery and Smith, and then the whole Asmougha (sp?) fiasco...it had the makings of a suspect season ahead and that's exactly what we got.

12. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Focusing only on football games and not the nonsense with Santonio that's so fresh still, a couple things about this season made it feel much worse than 8-8. First, when we lost to the Patriots for the second time in mid-November and fairly well assured that we wouldn't be able to take the division, that was a gut punch. It would have been nice to be competing for that until the end. Then, following that with a Tebow loss rubbed salt in it. But the kicker was the last three games. The only thing worse than losing to the Eagles, Giants and Dolphins three games in a row would be losing to the Eagles, Giants, Dolphins and Patriots four games in a row.

13. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Our only brightspot in a decade of mediocrity...

:sad:

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

This was a tough year but certainly not one of the worst for me. We still had hope and there were some exciting moments. What this season did for me was make the title game loss at Pitt hurt even more, knowing we won't have a shot this year and being so close. We had to come out flat.

15. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

Jeez, do the feelings we have this week suck? Hell yes.
    Putting this team down as one of the three worst seasons ever in Jet history? No fucking way.

Aren't there enough people who hate the Jets kicking them while they're down?

16. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was one of the worst. I'll always hate '99 for Vinny going down in such a random manner, and then Parcells not switching to Lucas until it was too late.

Once we lost to Denver I knew we were in trouble. I still thought we'd make the playoffs. Once we lost to the Eagles I was thinking it was "all over" but there was no way we were going to go 0-3 to close the season, right?

The frustrating part about this season is the AFC field is so weak. The Texans are a joke due to injuries, the Colts for once aren't in it, the Pats have a horrible secondary and the Steelers are banged up. This would have been a nice year to sneak in with a scrappy team.

In retrospect this team was much worse than I thought, and I didn't realize it until the loss to the Giants. Since Dallas finished 8-8 we never beat a winning team all season, even though we played many close.

That's not a good sign.

17. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

And the AFC field in the playoffs this year is just so ordinary. It wouldn't surprise me if any one of the six teams makes it to the Superbowl.

18. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Every season winning less than 6 or 7 games was worse than this one...by far. At least we had hope going into week 17. Nothing worse than watching meaningless football when there's 5 games left.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Richie Kotite. Nuff said.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This season doesn't even hit the top 10 for me all time in terms of disappointments. Then again I never thought the Jets were going to win it after I realized we were stuck with Wayne Hunter at RT. It was just horrible to go out against 3 top pass rushes with that reality though.

My worst all-time season was 1999.