Don't give up on our rookie quarterback...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Oct 18, 2009.

1. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

The only thing that sucks worse than this season is seeing fellow Jets fans gloat about "being right."

I'm still betting you guys end up wrong when it's all said and done though and the years of bullshit will all be forgiven by one magical sentence. "I'm so glad I was wrong GO JETS!!!111!!!"

2. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

....Cmon Petro. I know you are probably just as aggravated as any Jets fan right now but to make a slight against our QB. I'm not saying something against you, so I hope you take no offense to my comments but jeeze ya gotta be patient with this kid. He has shown he can carry a team in the clutch, has made great strides in the playoffs , and has gotten better statistically at every level of his game. To give up on this kid now when our teams faulters were at many more positions than only QB is just unfair.

I get you don't like Mark and the fans who support him but I promise you he can prove his doubters wrong. Yeah my post maybe insignificant to this organization, some fans, and quiet possibly yourself but with time comes great things. We cant be so damn critical on a 3rd year QB who can only get better from here. I know its New York and I know at this day and age things must come quickly rather than blossoms but I'm just saying wait and see my man.

#162 JohnnyThaJet, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

JTJ- you are being myopic here.

I understand that Schottenheimer blows, Ryan is overrated and the offensive line blows. Sanchez is not good either.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

You are wrong. Aikman was good his 3rd year. Brees was playing high quality football his 3rd year as a starter (4th year overall). E. Manning was playing good before his 4th year. I have yet to see consistent quality football from Sanchez.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You can't throw off your back foot into triple coverage and have it picked by a lineman (and do it multiple times) and have anybody say you are good or can get it done. Yes, Schitty sucks but so does Sanchez. His mind is obviously not in the games anymore by virtue of his performance.

6. JohnnyThaJet

Sincerely, I am not acting blind towards the situation. Sanchez needs to improve mentally. I can admit that but to put it all on his shoulders this season just isnt right. We were a 9-7 10-6 team at best. 8-8 is never good of course but somehow maybe there is a silver lining, maybe this team needed a kick in the ass. Some motivation. Sanchez has his problems but gettig rid of him already takes this team a huge chunk of steps in the wrong direction.

7. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

I'm not wrong. Aikman had a decent third year. Decent. Eli's third year was literally almost a spitting image of Mark's. Brees was so good in his third year as a pro that the Chargers went and drafted Rivers. I'm not talking about these guys third years as a starter, I'm talking about their third year as pro's. Which is where the comparison should be because that's where Mark's at. You've yet to see consistent football? He's a third year quarterback Cakes. Ask Giant fans when they started getting consistent efforts from Eli because it didn't happen until he flipped the switch in the playoffs the year they won the super bowl.

Back to the Brees comparison, not only was he positively awful in his second year as a starter (3rd pro year), he was also a fully season college qb, not a junior that started 16 games. We knew when we drafted Mark the learning curve would be a little more steep, and it might take a little more time. Giving up after year three is short-sighted, especially when he's proven he can win games in the 4th quarter.

8. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Patient? For how long??? He's turnover prone, period! I understand about the OC, O-line, running game, etc., but he still was making dumb mistakes in his third year for god's sake. How many seasons does he have to play until you apologists finally realize that he's just average at best?

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

You sounds exactly like the Chargers fans in reguards to Brees...look how that turned out.

10. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

You are flat wrong about Aikman. He was good in his 3rd year. Don't get swayed by the low TD passes number. He never had a high TD pass total. Go to cowboyszone.com, create an account and ask Dallas fans if Aikman was decent in 1991.

Eli Manning helped take the Giants to the playoffs in 2005 and 2006. He played better football than did Sanchez in 2009 and 2010. That is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Your best comparison was the Brees one. Brees and Sanchez did not have comparable rookie seasons because one played and the other sat on the bench. Their second seasons were very comparable- mediocre stats and erratic play. Both regressed in their third seasons. Brees had a legit excuse. The Chargers were a putrid team that year.

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Brees didn't play for a Super Bowl contender during his one stinkbomb season.

12. njjet

njjet Member

Sanchise is a bust but we can't afford the cap hit if we go after another QB.

13. TheGreenCantona

I have very difficult time with the brees, Eli comparisons. Surely there are 30 other QBs that have had Sanchez numbers in their third year and never turned out to be anything special.
    We have heard for 2 yrs that Sanchez's 3rd year is when we can expect something from a qb, well didn't work out, now we are told it will be his 4th or 5th when we really can assess him.
    I think we all know reasonably well who will succeed and who will not after 3 years and the rest is wishful thinking.
    And for the record I do not think Sanchez is awful, just very average.

14. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I support the 12-year plan. I believe Sanchez should be given until 2020 to prove himself before the Jets pull the plug.

15. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

As I said before, I'd give him another year with a different OC...

16. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

Drafting a QB is cheap with the rookie salary cap... but I'm still behind Sanchez.

His mistakes are fixable. He's been getting better every year but still throws behind the receivers.

A lot of his bad throws were also not that bad. A lot of the "bad" throws were because Wayne Hunter gets pushed. So even when he doesn't let up on a guy he's still getting his ass kicked and throwing off the passing line.

Sanchez needs to work on throwing receivers open and his ball handling. Maybe playing with a glove like Kurt Warner after we played him and made him fumble over and over.

He's played fantastic in the redzone this year taking the team from one of the worst to first.

He is progressing. If we had the quality O-Line he had when he was a rook he'd be much better. I think we make these fixes and think everything is okay even when people leave.

17. JohnnyThaJet

Plain and simple its his third year. What QB is honestly expected to come to a team and cary them to a superbowl win in the first 3 season. Like I have said previously i do admit he has made some bad mental errors and sometimes its hard to believe what he is thinking but these expectations are just absurd. A kid thrown into the fire of NY and its media, a former one year starter, coming in and trying to meet these lofty expectations.

He needs to improve, its obvious, but no QB in his first 3 years is just lighting up the league. Teams who have benefited from QB play to carry their team all have been patient in there product, the Giants, the Packers, the 49ers with Young, etc , I can keep going. Patience brings perseverance.

18. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

I didn't expect him to take this team to the Super Bowl in his third year. After what Tanny and Rex did in the offseason, this wasn't the same team anymore. But I did expect him to at least lower the number of dumb mistakes that he'd been known for. Instead, he probably made more of those than in the first two seasons combined.

19. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

What makes you think we can get an above-average QB in the draft or FA ???

I think Sanchez -- despite better stats -- took a step back this year. At the same time, if I had told you that in a lockout-shortened year we were getting rid of Edwards, Smith, and Cotchery -- all 100% class-acts -- and replacing them with Edwards, MAson, and Burress....would you have said that Sanchez was poised to make major strides this year?????

Montana, Brady, and Manning wouldn't have done well with our WR's. The fact that Holmes -- after GETTING his $$$ !!!!! -- would act like he did shows you 100% why Pitt wanted him out.

20. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

I understand Aikman never had high td totals, but to say he was good in his third year is a stretch. Cowboy fans will tell you he was good that season because it was their first year in what would be their return to prominence but bear in mind he was working with Irvin and Smith. Sanchez has Greene and Santonio. Aikman had Norval. Sanchez has Schotty. I'd laugh at the talent disparity if it wasn't so pathetic. Aikman went from mediocre to slightly above average at best, and didn't last the season because of injury. His big jump to elite was 92.

Anytime a comparison between a qb like Aikman, Eli or any other QB to Sanchez is made, I keep feeling the need to stress how much more wet behind the ears Sanchez was when he came into the league. 16 college starts in total, and he was a junior when he came out. The learning curve is naturally more steep. But anytime a QB improves while working with a team that was worse then the year before, I still maintain it bodes well for said QB's future. Make no mistake this offensive cast was the worst for Sanchez to work with.