Pennington Gets It !!!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #28Martin, Dec 30, 2011.

1. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

If you think Schottenheimer, for all his flaws (and there are a few, including in-game play-calling lapses), is the sole reason the Jets are 8-7 with only a scant chance of making it into the playoffs, you’re misinformed.

You obviously weren’t paying attention as general manager Mike Tannenbaum was tearing up the team’s chemistry in the offseason by not re-signing right tackle Damien Woody and dumping three receivers Sanchez with whom had great chemistry — Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery and Brad Smith.
    While Schottenheimer must take responsibility for an offense that’s ranked 27th in the NFL — and he did exactly that yesterday — he wasn’t exactly dealt a straight flush by team management.

Not far removed from wearing green and playing for Schottenheimer, former Jets quarterback Chad Pennington, a voice of reason with terrific perspective on the matter, weighed in during a conversation with The Post yesterday, calling for patience.

“I hope that the Jets organization understands the process of building a championship team for the long haul and not just for short-term success,’’ Pennington said. “When you look back at the whole body of work the last two years, if you’re asking for change I don’t see how that makes any sense. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the fence. “We’re not playing a Madden video game where you can just change computer images. Stability is important when developing a young quarterback.’’

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets...he_right_SW0EKGR2bkIWiisR6BpKYP#ixzz1i2IouGhZ

2. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

While I agree that Tanny made some stupid moves this offseason, I still think Schotty is the number 1 reason our offense is performing the way it is this year. Schotty has been here for what, 6 years now with multiple QBs with little success? Time to move on.

3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

i would lvoe to see Penny come back as a coach in the future, I always had so much time for Chad, if he had had a physique that was even half as good as his other intangibles and smarts he would have been incredible.

4. colleen74

colleen74 Member

SO true. I was thinking about it last night when I was watching Sound FX. Cam Newton and Co are having so much FUN. They looked like last years Jets who were a true TEAM and were having fun playing the game. This year there is no laughter, silly behavior, or booger wiping. They just look like they are there for the paycheck.

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

sadly true. players seem to have three priorities in life - 1. not getting injured, 2. getting paid, 3. winning.

for fans its just 1. win, 2. win, 3. win

a lot of our players this year just seem to want to get to the end of the season so that points 1 and 2 are taken care of.

i was reading about Rex's speech to the team about taking opportunities and so on but while I can see that sort of thing working well for guys in HS or college where its all about the game, i just cannot see that many professionals really giving too much of a crap provided that they are not players at risk of being cut.

6. #28Martin

You know why there is no fun? Cause the Jets screw players. Tanny and Rex got exposed as being phonies. They act like they are these big player guys. Then they offer all the team vets, on the second half of their careers, vet minimum deals. Don't underestimate that. At the end of the day, forget the guys the lost. The players they still have:

1) Revis - held out and wasn't happy with good guy Tannenbaum.
    2) Cromartie - was ignored as the Jets pursued another player at his position.
    3) LT - had to take the vets minimum after being a major reason they got to
    the AFC Championship game last season. Guy was an absolute stud vs.
    Colts in the playoffs. Scored a big TD vs. Pats. Jets repay him by cutting
    his salary in half.
    4) Moore- has been screwed for years.

Plus, they had a very good kicker in Feely. Good guy Tanny didn't deem that important and let him go. They had a very good OL in Woody, who gave so much to the team. Good guy Tanny reward him by cutting him. They had a vet DE, who was a major team leader in Ellis. Good guy Tanny insults the sh-t out of him by offering him the vets minimum, this after the guy was the major reason they beat NE in the playoffs. Not a dime more then the vets minimum, not even an extra mill or so, which prob at the time gets it done.

Cotchery got out of there cause he saw where this goes with the Jets. They pay the 4 or 5 team stars, from an age/production standpoint and slow screw anyone who becomes close to a veteran.

It's a joke and don't think the players don't know it... Then Rex BS's them that they are the greatest thing since the wheel.

7. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

dang, Chad had a noodle arm but he's got some good noggins upstairs

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Schotty isn't the sole reason this team is struggling. He's just the biggest reason.

9. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I agree with a few parts of this. Without all the venom. These are still professionals being paid decent money to play a game.

Jericho Cotchery was mishandled. We could have used him this season. But he also wanted to play a bigger role than the Jets saw for him, and apparently no other team saw him in more than a mere support role either. I DO think we put so much into trying to sign Nnamdi Asomugha that we were caught flat-footed on several levels when he signed with Philly. We also did Cromartie a HUGE favor by bailing him and his penis out when we originally acquired him and fronted a portion of his salary. Ought we not get credit for that? And I think there was a role on this team for Ellis - but he's been riding the pine most of the year in New England. His value WAS the veteran minimum for the Jets. And, finally, yes, it would be great to have Damien Woody around right now - a HEALTHY Damien Woody. It's a pretty fair assumption that his injury, much like Jenkins', was too much for an old and large body to recover from and play at the same level. Nobody was waving a cash box in front of his nose prior to his retirement. Except the cushy chairs at ESPN.

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

What chemistry did Brad Smith have with Sanchez? Like how many catches on the year? What a joke. Edwards wanted too much money and Cotchery wanted to leave, regardless. Pennington gets nothing except surgery and ice packs. We had no choice in any of those moves. Woody had a bad injury and probably wouldn't have even been close to last year's performance, if he even played the first half of the year.

1) Revis - held out and wasn't happy with good guy Tannenbaum.
    Who cares? Revis got well more than he deserved.

2) Cromartie - was ignored as the Jets pursued another player at his position.
    Who cares? We tried to find an upgrade for him. Can you really blame Tanny for going for the #1 free agent on defense? Look at all the stupid mistakes Cro made this year. I don't think we would have lost the raiders game with Nmandi playing instead of Cro. Just sayin.

3) LT - had to take the vets minimum after being a major reason they got to
    the AFC Championship game last season. Guy was an absolute stud vs.
    Colts in the playoffs. Scored a big TD vs. Pats. Jets repay him by cutting
    his salary in half.
    He's also happy with that role and has accepted that he is getting way less snaps, for less money.

#10 Barcs, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Was this article printed on two ply? I would like to know before I wipe my ass with it.

Chad, stick with calling regionally televised games.

Schotty is what made our offense suck since 2007. He is the only constant.

12. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Asked this question a few times.

How the hell do you plan on developing a young and inexperience QB in this league with a carousel of wide receivers. HOW!

13. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

agree. Should have kept the WR core and canned the OC.

14. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Cotchery was my favorite Jet.

Now it's Mangold.

Hope he stays

15. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

A couple of factors you overlook here: 1) The salary cap dictates what a team can spend. 2) Whether they like it or not , this is a young man's sport.

You can't just empty the wallet and pay every player what they want. Its a shame that guys like Ellis, Cotchery and most likely LT have to leave after being really good Jet players, but you can't saddle the team with overpaid Vets, just for the sake of it. Look what happened when Parcells did that with guys like Marvin Jones & Mo Lewis, it put the team in cap hell fro a few seasons.

Spin it anyway you like, this is a business and the moves you talk about may not have been popular , but ones every NFL must make as mandated by the hard cap limit.

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Tanny can balance a checkbook but he knows shit about locker room camaraderie.

17. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

I miss Chad.

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

When Edwards wants a Holmes-like contract and Cotchery won't stay, how the hell do you keep the same receivers? HOW!

19. #28Martin

I'm curious,, are they over the cap? No they're not... We aren't talking a tremendous amount of money here. They could have fit Woody in. And they could have fit Ellis and TRich in. Combined, what would have that been, an extra 5 mill total? That could have been done. They could have restructured Can't Wait Scott or something, wasn't a big deal... And i'm tellin ya, I heard that Tanny actually tried to sign a depth veteran OL and deep pockets Woody Johnson told him he wasn't putting another penny in the team cause of the poor PSL sales. I could definitely see him saying that. All three Jet top guys,,, Woody, Tanny and Rex are phonies in their own ways.

20. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Revis held the Jets up because he wanted to get paid more than the ridiculous contract the Raiders gave Aso before Aso's contract became history this year. He got what he wanted. Let's see how loyal Revis is when he can renegotiate after next season.

Cromartie also got his money. What is his gripe?

LT is paid what he should be paid for the limited role he has on the team and his now limited ability. He is a third down back and that's it. Why pay him more?

Thankfully, Moore did not get a big contract, because he is aging and injured and declining.

Woody was not physically able to play any more. It had nothing to do with the Jets cutting him. If he could play, he would be playing elsewhere.

Cotchery wanted a bigger role, but there wasn't one for him here or on any other NFL roster. The Jets offer to Ellis was more than fair. He made the money grab instead and earned a permanent seat on the bench with the evil empire up North. He will be out of the NFL next season. The Jets do not miss him one bit.

In fact, just about every player the Jets let go has not performed on his new team or is out of the league - Smith, Faneca, Washington, Ellis.........

Feely was let go because Tanny needed to free up money to sign a free agent under the strict limitation facing the top 4 teams in the uncapped year. It got us Jason Taylor, whose sack won the Steelers game last game. Folk has not cost the Jets a game until, possibly, this past week.

Kendall and Baker were jerks who did not deserve the money they were making. What impact did they make after they left? Is Baker still in the league?

Everybody brags about the "Patriot" way and how they do everything right up there. Is there a team that is more ruthless to their own vets than NE? Look at their history. They get rid of vets left and right. Yet you don't hear this complaint about them.

This argument is complete BS.