Jets reportedly unsure if franchise QB is on their roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mute, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I like how you constantly assume I'm "Just a jet fan" and don't watch any other NFL games if I don't agree with every little point you make.

I actually DO follow just about every team, so I have watched full games of the Tyler Palko's of the world this season, and yes Sanchez is better than the bottom third of QBs in this league.

2. Organized Chaos

Lets play this game, name me 22 QBs better than Mark Sanchez that might start next year. Lets not include college QBs, but it's totally fair to include starters that missed the season due to injury (Peyton Manning). I'll even start it off so you don't have to do the work. Anyone else can feel free to play.

The Obvious in no particular order

1. Rodgers
    2. Brees
    3. Vick
    4. Rivers
    5. Brady
    6. Romo
    7. Roethlisberger
    8. Stafford
    9. Eli Manning
    10. Peyton Manning
    11. Cam Newton

It's Close, but these guys are probably better.

12. Matt Ryan
    13. Fitzpatrick
    14. Dalton
    15. Cutler

I'd put Sanchez right around here at 15. You could make Arguments for Flacco, Tebow, Hasselbeck, Orton, Freeman being above Sanchez, but I think if all things were equal (ie Sanchez had the same supporting cast/coaching staff) he'd be better than those guys.

A good example of this is Alex Smith. If you want to say Smith is having a better year than Sanchez, that is fine. But I strongly suspect that Sanchez would do just fine in an offense like the 49ers, and in fact would be better than Smith.

Feel free to give me your 16-22, and let me know if I forgot someone.

3. jetsown22

jetsown22 New Member

16.Shaub
    17.alex smith
    18.Matt Moore
    19.Dalton
    20. Ryan Fitzpatrick

So Sanchez is lets say #21 in Qb. Are you saying we can't get that production cheaper or should settle for crap if theres upgrades available?

4. skeleton_frames

While I don't agree with everyone on the list, that's not the point. I agree with your last sentence: even if he is 16th (at best), Jets are paying way to much for little production.

Sanchez is the highest paid caretaker in America.

And let's not start quoting his playoff record. Sanchez didn't win 4 playoff games. He just didn't lose 4 playoff games.

5. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I did this earlier but the powers that be deleted it (and a bunch of other posts about this topic) so I think it's best/most productive if we just move on.

6. jetsown22

jetsown22 New Member

Also Cutler And Ryan are in their sleep better then Sanchez how is it even close lol? Your saying you rather have Mark pick 6 Sanchez over Jay Cutler and Matt Ryan? Want to talk about weapons? Cutler does not have 1 weapon besides Forte. Bottom line Sanchez was drafted like a "elite Qb", has played mediocre and has shown no signs whatsoever that he will develop into a elite Qb. Is it Shottys fault, who knows? But he sucks right now.

#266 jetsown22, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  7. Organized Chaos

Schuab - ok. I'll grant you that, I might even bump him up into the top list.

Moore? Dalton? Fitz? It's all very arguable that if Sanchez had the same tools and the same Coaching he could be as good if not better than those guys. Both Brandon Marshall and AJ Green are beasts.

I'm just pointing out that Sanchez isn't in the bottom third of QBs. That's about it. He is around average. If you break it down further, he is above average in TDs, below average in completion percentage and ypc.

He might end up being better, there is no reason he can't develop further. As many people have pointed out in the past, his numbers are similar to Eli's from Eli's third year.

If we ditch him, what exactly are we going to get? The only elite QB on the market next year might be Peyton Manning coming off a neck surgery. Excluding him, who else is going to be on the Market? Is Orton better at this point in his career? How much will he cost? We have a lot of other spots to fix that are probably a higher priority than Quarterback.

8. Organized Chaos

Ok, but private message them to me, I'd like to see. :)

9. jetsown22

jetsown22 New Member

Quarterback is the most important position on a team by far, do you think we have a better chance to win at qb with Peyton Manning or Sanchez ask yourself that? Peyton won't cost us much granted the roster bonus and his age and injury. People in their 30's have been all traded for 4th round picks look at Randy Moss. Also if we don't want to go the Peyton route "average" qb's as you say are easy to find. Release Sanchez save the cap space, draft a Qb and let him sit on the bench and develop him properly.

10. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

11. jetsown22

jetsown22 New Member

What a bunch of crap, the Jets will never bench Sanchez at this point. Either Manning comes here and Sanchez is released or Sanchez stays and starts next year. Even is Sanchez has 15 interceptions and 3 td's at the start off the season he won't be benched. Jets hate admitting failure, look at Gholtson.

12. Organized Chaos

Cutler had the one huge year in Denver (4526 yards 27 TDs 20 turnovers) with Brandon Marshall. Other than that, his recent years with the bears have been somewhat close to Mark's numbers this year. He's been better, but not that much better.

Cutler the past 3 years in CHI :

Yardage TD(pass and rush)/Int+fumble lost
    3666 28/27
    3274 24/19 (6 fumbles lost!)
    2319 14/10 (injured week 10)

Sanchez this year:

3267 24/23 (15 int, 8 fumbles)

Is there a huge difference there? It's all perception because Cutler had one huge season in yardage while playing with a great WR. I agree that Cutler doesn't have much in the way of WR's in Chicago, but that really goes to show how much a good WR can skew the numbers.

I agree he is mediocre, average, whatever you want to call it. He's about in the middle. People have this perception though that he's as bad as the worst QB's in the league, and he really isn't (at least not statistically).

13. Organized Chaos

Moss had issues other than just his age, he was coming off a horrible stint with the Raiders if I recall correctly.

Manning, if healthy will command a great deal of compensation. He'd obviously be a huge upgrade over Sanchez if he's healthy, hell he'd be an upgrade over almost any QB in the league. I'd just be unsure if the Jets should commit so much to a Quarterback when there are so many other pressing needs.

#273 Organized Chaos, Dec 29, 2011
  14. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

This is really good point. Sanchez is playing like a middle of the pack QB. He certainly isn't garbage which seems to be insinuated here a lot. It may be the fact that he was drafted so high and expected to be "elite" quickly. His draft position may be skewing perception and reality.

15. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Flat out wrong. If you're looking at QB rating he is middle of the pack, pick almost any other stat and he is near the bottom of the league. The Jets RZ efficiency this year is the only thing keeping Sanchez's stats from looking even worse than they do now.

16. jetsown22

jetsown22 New Member

Ya and he is in the bottom of the pack in completion % in Shottys 2 yard offense, How can anyone justify that. Even if you say he is a "average" Qb, are average qb's so hard to find in this league?

17. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

Comparing individual players in a an ultimate team sport like football is fruitless. For example how can you compare Ryan & Sanchez without looking at their supporting teams, division they play in, coaching staffs, Where they play ( ie dome - no wind) , the teams overall offensive philospohies. Swap Sanchez with Cutler Ryan or any other flavor of the day QB and your likely having the same conversations only in reverse.

18. jetsown22

jetsown22 New Member

You don't need to swap shit, just forget the stats and watch them play and you see they make smart qb nfl capable decisions while Sanchez just doesn't get it. Also at people saying that Cutler had one good year in Denever, Brandon Marshall might be the most overrated Wr in the Nfl. He drops more passes then anyone I can think off. Also how is it fruitless? Good Qb's make bad wide receivers good, bad Qb's make good wr's bad. Give Brady a twig and he can develop him into a 900 yard receiver.

#278 jetsown22, Dec 29, 2011
  19. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

He is also right in the middle in yards (15th) and he's pretty solid with TD passes (8th), also six rushing TD's is good.

I definitely get what you are saying though, and you are correct. I looked up his stats and he is lower than I expected in a lot of categories.

I just never get the feeling he's garbage when I'm watching him. He just feels average. Definitely a game manager as opposed to a playmaker.

20. jetsown22

jetsown22 New Member

22nd in qb rating, 29 in ypa, 28th in completion %, 21st in yards per game, 4th best at getting sacked, tied for 7th in interceptions. Every other # indicates that he is mediocre- average at best.

#280 jetsown22, Dec 29, 2011