Jets reportedly unsure if franchise QB is on their roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mute, Dec 25, 2011.

1. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Giants were not a 6th seed.

2. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Mark Sanchez Passing Touchdowns:

2009-24th in the league
    2010-19th in the league
    2011-8th in the league.

Last time I checked, 8th is pretty far above the bottom 1/3rd of the league.

Want to throw in his rushing touchdowns? Because then he's up around 6th.

The bottom third of the league would be the QB's in the 22-32 range. What stat is he in the bottom third of the league in?

Sanchez has improved every year despite the team around him getting worse every year.

3. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Passer rating (22), completion percentage (27), yards per attempt (28), and if you understand advanced stats DVOA (27). He also has the 7th most picks so he's bottom third in that.

He's 21 in yards a game and DYAR.

Other than yards and touchdowns he's bottom third or close to it in almost every measure you can think of.

4. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Listen I'm unsure we have the franchise QB on the roster. Sanchez hasn't performed at a level to make anyone sure he will our QB for the next 8 years. That said I still think he has shown in flashes that he can be that guy and it's still too early to rule it out.

5. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Love the phrase "other than yards and touchdowns", so versatile.

Other than yards and touchdowns, our QB stinks.

6. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

i agree with this right here.

the individual stats argument for sanchez just doesn't work. you can pick a few that make it look like he's in the top 10. you can pick a few others that make it look like he's in the bottom 10. then it just becomes a matter of which stats support your side of the case. "my stats are more important than yours!" it's pointless.

but just watching him play, there is no way i can say i'm 100% sure he's a franchise qb right now. there are glimpses of him being great. but they seem to be overshadowed by times where he is just not very good.

i just want to have fun watching the offense. it hasn't been fun for a long time.

7. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Yards don't mean a lot if you throw it a ton of times to get them. He's also 15th in yards so he's average in that regard.

He's 8th in TDs at 24 which is nice, but when the league leaders have 45/41/36/36 he's not to close to the top of the league in that stat either.

But if you want to think that yards and touchdowns (without regards to passing attempts, picks, or pass rating) show he's good, knock yourself out.

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

The problem with Chez this year has been the lack of deep completions. Whether that's scheme or execution or the WR fault, that's gotta change next year. More deep throws are needed.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Mah bad. 5th seed is a galaxy ahead of the 6th seed. Anyway, they rode that impressive 5th seed into the loving arms of destiny!

10. MyFavoriteMartin

MyFavoriteMartin New Member

Why hasn't Sanchez thrown the ball with any zip lately? It's something I started noticing specifically the last half of this season. Did he do this last season? I feel like he's been throwing meatballs in the air, and it's frustrating as hell to watch.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He has put some spin on it, but maybe that stinger he had from that hit by Babin wasn't a new development? I seem to remember him holding that throwing arm against his side a number of times this season before that game.

12. MyFavoriteMartin

MyFavoriteMartin New Member

I think something is wrong, the ball looks to me like it's coming out differently than earlier in the season/past seasons

13. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

It's only year 3 blah blah blah. QBs are not supposed to steadily regress,either. It's not all Schottenheimer either. How can it be with the "kill kill kill" to every play called? Brian also isnt the one hrrying illadvised throws and running from the pocket that hasnt even collapsed. Sanchez fucking sucks

14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I always find this an interesting site - http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?pos=QB

If you look at the WPA (win probability added) stat then its clear just how much Sanchez does not do to help this team win - he is ranked 37th out of the 40 QBs list with only Painter, Gabbert and Bradford (having a horrible season) doing worse.

Sanchez has actually attempted an average number of deep passes (he is ranked 18 out of the 40 listed) but its clear from his low average yards per attempt that he is completing very few of them.

15. Barcs

Barcs Banned

If Sanchez leaves the Jets, he'll be twice the QB on any other team in the NFL. Getting rid of him now would be a huge mistake, especially when our biggest problems on offense are the offensive line and playcalling. Not saying Sanchez is completely innocent, but it's documented that with good protection and receivers not dropping the passes, Mark excels, plus you need to take Schotty into account. Plus many people neglect that he's improved in almost every category this season.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

How exactly are they calculating this so called "win probability added" stat?

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The only stat I care about is wins.

Guess what?...we're average.

18. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Yeah, his stats have pretty much fallen off in the past two or three weeks. He was 15th in passer rating a few weeks ago. His completion percentage has always been below average, but has improved the past few years.

As for DVOA, it's horse shit. Remember a few weeks ago when it had the Jets as the number one team in football? I'm not sure why anyone puts any stock in DOVA other than to look like they know something when they say "ADVANCED STATS". About the only thing I find FO good for is tracking stats the NFL refuses to track for some reason (ie, Dropped ints).

The reality is there based on anecdotal evidence (We can argue stats all day). Sanchez still isn't a top 10 QB, but he's surely not as bad as the bottom third of NFL starting Quarterbacks. You can pretty easily name 10 QB's who started last week that are worse than Sanchez.

On top of that, we can add in just how bad the offensive line, offensive coordinator and WRs are this season.

The reality is Sanchez is a middle of the pack QB right now. After a loss like the Giants loss, everyone wants to throw him under the bus, and after he wins people start talking about how he might be an "elite" quarterback and "all he does is win".

19. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

rex said yesterday that sanchez is the guy and its not even a thought.

saw it yesterday on the espn ticker.

keep feeding into the media hype. i cant wait for sanchez to prove the media and even jets fans wrong next year.

20. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Other than being fat and ugly, my brother in law looks just like Brad Pitt.