Jets reportedly unsure if franchise QB is on their roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mute, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Thank you.

2. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Just to set the record straight.

After two years of having Drew Brees starting and throwing for more picks than TDs and winding up with worst record in the NFL, the Chargers wound up with Rivers after the Manning swap. Then Rivers sat for 2 years while Brees improved his numbers greatly in the 2 years he played ahead of Rivers. However in his last game as a Charger, in his contract year, Brees had a horrid shoulder injury.

So with Rivers ready to play, and Brees' shoulder in question it wasn't an illogical decision to let him go. And at the point of his Career when Rivers became available in the draft, few questioned SD's decision to go with a QB, since at that point Brees hadn't done much. In fact Brees only got that chance in the next year because Rivers held out in a contract dispute. He then played well enough over the next 2 years to keep Rivers on the bench. What killed him in SD was the shoulder injury.

BTW- I'm not sure he was the OC in SD at that ime, but Bryan Shottenheimer was definitely on the Charger staff.

3. Mason

Mason New Member

You surround him with Santonio Holmes and a 34 year old Plaxico out of prison, you have no right to complain. Jets FO hasn't done their job. Replacing Sanchez will accomplish exactly nothing.

4. jetsown22

jetsown22 New Member

Hmm Big Ben didn't mind Santonio Holmes, espicially when they were winning superbowls. Not Holmes fault he has a qb who can't get rid of the ball in time. Then again Sanchez sucked with Braylon and Holmes both coming off pretty good seasons to. Bet hed turn Larry Fitgerald into crap to. If I had a qb who was consistently throwing high to me and trying to get me killed and I was already making alot of money I would think of my family before going for that ball. Give Holmes a competent Qb and see what happens.

#64 jetsown22, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  5. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I don't want to hear about the receiving corps. Outside of head-case Brandon Marshall, Matty Moore is getting it done with Bess, Hartline, Fasano and Clive Gates.

In 2001 when the Pats won it all Brady's top targets were Troy Brown and David Patten.

#65 al_toon_88, Dec 25, 2011
  6. june19

june19 Active Member

Sorry guys but sanchez has to go,he just dont have it to play with the jets.and im tired of those damm short passes.

#66 june19, Dec 25, 2011
  7. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Mark Brunelleschi isn't the future?

8. Mason

Mason New Member

Outside of having a top 6 WR? What are you talking about? Brandon Marshall has 5 straight 1000 yard seasons and 3 100 reception seasons on his resume. He's one of the most physically dominating receivers in the game. Why would you just ignore that guy? You don't want to hear about receivers because you aren't thinking rationally. Matt Moore has one of the best receivers in the game, we don't have anything close to that. If you took Marshall away from the Dolphins, do you honestly think Moore would "get it done"?

Name me 1 QB in the league that's doing good with a receiving corps as bad as ours.

Sanchez isn't Tom Brady, what an amazing thought!

#68 Mason, Dec 25, 2011
  9. Mason

Mason New Member

Santonio was Pittsburgh's #2 receiver, behind a 95 reception, 1200 yard Hines Ward in his prime. That was Santonio's only good season in his career. He's not a #1 receiver and never has been, and we've plugged him into a spot that he shouldn't be in.

It's Holmes fault that he doesn't get open, doesn't consistently get separation and has questionable hands.

Reggie Wayne with Kerry Collins, Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky is more productive than Holmes.

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I think this article is a bunch of B.S.

11. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

i think there are three potential main culprits responsible for the jets poor offense. one, the quarterback. two, the o-line. three, the offensive coordinator. i think the most likely culprit is the offensive coord. and i think its more practical to hope that sanchez has it in him. schotty has had a long-enough try. also, it's easier to get rid of the coord than it is to find a definitely-better franchise qb. i think it's also critical to beef-up the o-line.
    so, i'd give sanchez another shot, first, with a new o-c and an improved o-line. the investment demands it and it's easier. my two cents...

12. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

We can't give Sanchez the boot or a free ride. Look at Rivers and the Chargers this year. Four months ago Rivers was a top 5 QB, a bad game doesn't make a bad year, just as a bad year doesn't mean he is through at the age of 25.

I say bring in a new OC with a new #2 QB to push him and if he doesn't improve his first contract will have been his last with the Jets.

13. NyCrAzY

NyCrAzY New Member

Here is my opinion on the NY Jets since I can't make my own thread until I reach 50 posts ... SMH.

1.) GET RID OF MARK SANCHEZ! I'm totally sick of this guy. He reminds me of Vinny Testaverde (heck, he looks like him too!). As a die hard Jets fan, we have every tool any QB can ask for (Keller, Holmes, Plaxico, O-line), yet he still can't execute!

This guy can't make deep passes, always STARES down one receiver. Uhmm, hello? Too obvious for the opposing defense to read your eyes!

He also holds on to the ball for soooooooooooooo long. Learn to throw the ball away if you're outside the pocket and nobody is open.

You guys can blame Shotty all you want, but Sanchez is also a reason we're sucking on offense.

2.) Can we not tackle???

Is it just me or can the Jets not TACKLE?? Especially in the AFC Championship game last year @ Steelers.

3.) Can you please shut up Rex Ryan?

I had no problem with Rex Ryan trash talking in his first two years as NY Jets head coach because he brought swag to the team and made the Jets popular and relevant again. Heck, that's why we got a lot of prime time games on national tv/spotlight.

But now, he's taking it too far in his 3rd season.

Give QB Greg McElroy a chance in preseason, he has potential. Mark Sanchez needs competition in the preseason because he knows Brunell is no threat. Thank god he's retiring after this year.

Just my 2 cents out there...

14. jetsown22

jetsown22 New Member

15. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Sanchez can't hit the deep pass? Are you serious or joking?

16. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

We have to give Sanchez a fair shot. I think he can be good. If we get rid of Schotty, get a receiver (even bring Bray back) and fix the line and he doesn't make all of your wildest dreams come true, then I will be willing to give up on Sanchez.

As of right now, I am still a big believer in Mark.

17. NyCrAzY

NyCrAzY New Member

Nothing against Vinny Testaverde, just saying how he looks like him and the INT's.

I know the defense isn't the issue, but when it really matters, they seem to collapse. Maybe it's just the safeties.

And yes, Sanchez can't hit the deep passes. I know he has the arm strength and whatnot. Been watching his highlights back at USC. When is the last time he made a legit 35+ yard pass this year. And it doesn't count if he did it in garbage time or if it was a catch and run. From this year at least ...

Thought a 3rd year for a QB was supposed to be their breakout year, thats not the case with him. Maybe it's because of Shotty. Maybe it's because of our QB coach. Maybe it's because of Rex Ryan. Who knows? Or maybe it's him himself.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The 2 biggest complaints on TGG.....

Complaint 1: Shotty SUCKS! He needs to develop game plans around Mark's strenghts and weakness. He needs to game plan around our slow receivers and our bad o-line that gives Mark 1.1 seconds to throw. Shotty needs to kill the 7-step drop with a 40 yrd pass when our receivers can't get there and Mark is running for his life!!!! FIRE SHOTTY!!!! FIRE MARK!!!

Complaint 2: Shotty SUCKS! Our game plans are nothing more than 2-3 step drops with short passes, slants, and screens! Open it the fuck up! Throw it deep! FIRE SHOTTY!!!! FIRE MARK!!!

Sheeeeesh.

19. Mr. Green Pants

They're not drafting a "top quarterback." More sensible to sign a viable back-up, one who isn't 400 years old, to push Sanchez a bit.

20. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Sanchez has my support, but less so than a month ago. He hasn't had any help at all, but he's repeating mistakes, which is a big no-no for me.