Braylon Edwards - Released by SF on 12/27

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #28Martin, Dec 20, 2011.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Please see my post in the other thread where you tell people to learn the game. The Jets weren't even in man coverage in the middle of the field where that 73 yarder was caught, and it wasn't against Harris. Don't tell me to learn the game when you can't even decipher the difference between man and zone coverage.

If Harris took the blame, I guess I am wrong, but looking at the play it seems clear that he's sitting in zone underneath while smith is in zone over the top of him.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Since I think it inevitable that the Jets go one more year with Sanchez, at least, and McElroy deserves another look, that means the Jets will not go first round for a Qb, pretty much for certain.

Having said that, even if I were more unhappy with Sanchez, I think the first round pick this coming draft will be best spent on an offensive lineman, preferably a tackle. I say that not so much because I am down as much as some here on Hunter, since I am not - yeah, he's weak, but imo the CS shold have given him more help against the Philly pass rush, but in the three games before that, he was showing progress.

It's really more that I have given up on VD as a medium term prospect for ever making a contribution, so even with Turner coming back next year (and Turner in any event is more the backup on the interior of hte line) they need big time help on the OL. Logically that means pick a tackle with your first round pick.

3. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

To be fair, Braylon was hurt a good portion of a year and plays in an offense that does not pass very much. Alex Smith is 30th in the league in attempts and has a grand total of 965 yards a game (197 per game average). I'm sure he's not going to get "paid" based on this year, but it also could be written off as an injury plagued season on a bad pass offense.

I don't think talent or production is a problem with Braylon if he stays healthy.

I think your latter point is a more important one, there is a reason Rexy and Tanny ditched him for Plax, who is an older WR who had just come out of prison. Whatever the reason is, it's probably not football related.

I'd still love to see him back at the right price.

4. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

We do not get our multiple wide recievers the ball on a consistant basis anyways ..no need to bring in another person that will be under utilized.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He was utilized well here.

6. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

Featured on Yahoo today:

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I still think they need a vet at RT. They don't have 3 seasons to wait for a late round tackle to learn the Jets' offense to the point where he isn't getting Sanchez killed. I would prefer they spend that first rounder on a player that can produce immediately at either S, OLB, DE, TE or WR. Or maybe even ILB.

8. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Thats exactly how I feel. I dont want to draft a RT unless it is a late round depth pick. I want to pick up someone who is ready to go in right away. I don't know too much about the upcoming draft but from waht I understand its very thin at safety but a lot of talent at wr. I wouldnt mind going round 1 on a wr but if there is a good one available Id go OLB or safety.

9. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

My former #2 knucklehead Wide Receiver.

10. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

If he's available to sign for a bargain, I'd say let's do it next year. That would really be an awesome situation.

Next year I really hope we let Plaxico walk. He's been decent this season but there's so many more dynamic players available.

11. patfanken

patfanken Banned

I have to say, that although I was hoping the Pats would take a long look at Edwards this off season, the Jets would make more sense, I'm sorry to say. He would seem tp be the perfect combination of a big body'field stretcher that the Pats sorely lack, Plus his lackluster 2011 season would put him in a reasonable pay bracket.

However, I wonder how he'd fit into an offense that requires the WRs to run so many option routes and be on the same page as Brady. Ocho who is a quality veteran WR, has had a lot of trouble with fitting in, while a journeyman like Jabar Gaffney seemed to pick up right away. Hard to figure until they get here/ Though judging from the comments here route running wasn't one of his best traits even in the simplified Jets offense, so that's not a good sign for him to pick up the more complex Pats offense.

Just one comment in the defense of Eric Smith. Jet fans should be aware that there are a lot of very good TE targets out there these days. Guys that are very tough match ups for ANY safety. Gronk might be the best of them, but right off the top of my head, Graham, Gresham, Keller, Hernandez, Celek, Cooley, the TE from Detroit, Witten, Heath, Gates, etc.

All of these guys are nighmares defenses to cover. When you add in the emphasis on calling defensive holding and illegal contact, along with protecting the receivers from big hits over the middle, there are a lot of TEs who are having impact years in the league......AND after the success the Pats have had with their TEs, that strategy will only increase. Its not a great time to be a SS in the NFL Eric Smith is not alone. :wink:

#71 patfanken, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  12. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

^ouch! :wink:

[YOUTUBE]ERyHYF8xlWU[/YOUTUBE]

13. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Amen. Preach it. Tannenbaum deserves as much blame as anybody if this goes down as a lost season.

14. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I totally agree, drafting a right tackle won't really improve much next season and our window is closing fast. I'd rather target a safety or an OLB.

15. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

That's nice. But I graduated from an Ivy League school, and it doesn't make me a smart football player.

Look, Big Blocker, if you want to excuse Smith for the Celek play fine. That doesn't change the fact that he's been intentionally targeted and burned repeatedly, all season. It doesn't change the fact that he's a huge part of our inability to cover the middle of the field ever. The guy is not a starting caliber safety, and everyone knows it (including Eric Smith, if he's as smart as that article claims.)

16. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Wouldn't mind bringing Braylon back, I was sad to see him go in the first place. He's had a bad year but if we could get him on an incentive/behavior based contract with a cap friendly option the year after, and both sides can swallow their pride, that is one less thing to worry about towards building a complete team.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

What is being targeted is the middle of the field. With Revis and Cro on the outside, it is the most promising area to attack.

And it has been primarily TE's doing the damage. Are you one of the posters here who seem to think one of the two safeties has consistent responsibility to guard the TE from the line of scrimmage?

If so, you don't know much about football.

The fact is yes, Smith is not fast. But neither are any of the linebackers in pass coverage, and neither is Leonhard. Pool is quicker but in every other respect is worse than Smith.

If the Jets are in a four linebacker set and the opponent throws the ball to the TE, neither safety will have primary responsiiblity to cover the TE.

18. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I want him back in the worst way

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

How someone can repeatedly insult other people by saying they don't understand football while at the same time defending Eric Smith as a safety is incomprehensible to me. Smith has given up more pass yards when targeted than any safety in the league other than Antrel Rolle who has played more than 100 more snaps. Smith has given up more YAC than any safety in the league. Smith has given up an opposing QB rating of 96 when targeted. He is towards the bottom of the rankings in nearly every passing category imaginable yet you continue to defend him as if he doesn't suck. Not only that but you tell people who disagree that they don't understand football. :rolleyes:

We need to do better than Eric Smith at safety.

20. Johnny_Lam _Jones

Johnny_Lam _Jones New Member

I'd like to see the Jets draft Mohammed Sanu from Rutgers if he is available when they pick. He has great hands/speed and can run the wildcat for them. Braylon is a headcase and the only OTs that could step in a start right away will be gone by the time the Jets pick