Braylon Edwards - Released by SF on 12/27

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #28Martin, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I thought all of that happened last offseason - but admittedly, I wasn't able to pay attention this summer like I usually do so I may have missed news on Braylon.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He actually went out and got toasted with his entourage of thugs and busted up a bar shortly after we signed Burress, that's why he ended up taking the short and small contract with San Fran. There were rumors about him possibly being the instigator. I'll have to look up some links when I have more time.

edit: NM, thanks for saving me the trouble

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I think it was before they signed Burress, no?

4. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Ugh what? Did I say anything about Tanny knowing something about Edwards? I just said not every thread has to be about Hunter or Eric Smith sucking.

5. Cynic

Cynic New Member

Bring him back!

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I could swear I remembered thinking about the timing when it happened, let me double check now that the busy part of my day is over.

Edit: no, I was wrong about the timing, Braylon went out the night before the Burress signing, that's when it happened. I guess that might have been a catalyst to sign Burress.

#27 abyzmul, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Yep. He provides a deep threat that Holmes and Burress just don't provide. He was never a #1 receiver, he doesn't run routes well enough for that. Hopefully one small deal will make him come cheap and humbled a little and possibly back to New York, where he definitely enjoyed it while he was here.

8. BookEndTackles 72&79

It was the right move to part ways with Braylon at the time and it might be the right time to bring him back next offseason. This off season was just too crazy with all that was happening in such a short time and higher priorities were in order. I'd prefer if they address WR in FA and focus on getting some athleticism and speed on D through the draft. Burress has done a pretty good job and would be worthy to bring back. I'd be OK with either on of them on the roster next year.

9. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

Braylon was a very good deep threat and a great blocker. I thought he always played hard and he definitely made some big catches for us.

Personally, I like Braylon and would be glad to have him back (and healthy). To us, he would have been worth the contract he got from the Niners. He has been ineffective there because he doesn't fit what they do and has been hurt.

10. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

How realistic is Braylon coming back

I've much talk this season over BRaylon coming back but his Ego may not let him

How realistic is this?

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree, but imo this is more an off season subject. It's too early to say what the Jets are going to want to do with the existing wideouts on the roster.

And ftr this constant dumping on Eric Smith seems to be the work of people who don't understand the game of football.

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

i was watching tape from last year ...Remeber that throw to Edwards to set us up to beat the Texans???great throw And then in the colts game this year ........theres so many highlights of deep throws to Edwards none for Buress and 1 or 2 to Holmes...Edwards was a key part of this team...his numbers arent good in SF because they dont run a regular offense they barlet throw it .....and when they do its to Crabtree...or Ginn or a TE or Gore ....Braylons barley a part of that team my guess is he will be back here next season maybe even Cotch to there both FA next year

13. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I think it's more a product of seeing Smith helplessly running 10 yards behind an open TE carrying the ball. But you are right that it isn't as simple as blaming one player. The fact is that TEs have exploited our D all season and that is something that our scheme needs to account for.

14. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

he didnt get a huge contract from the niners he got a 1 year deal

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The problem with Edwards here wasn't his play and I don't think it was that dependent on money as I'm sure something could have been worked out with Tanny. The issue here was Edwards not being able to handle the New York Nightlife. It was his off the field issues that got him exiled, not his play. I don't think Tanny, and to some extent Woody, wanted to deal with any more negative headlines as He and Rex were going head to head every week it seemed on the back pages.

16. stech

stech Member

The interesting thing here is that if Braylon was indeed a healthy scratch, then this is a mighty big piece of humble pie. I wonder what his lack of playing time and now being a healthy scratch will do to his ego??

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The constant dumping on Eric Smith is because the only place he really fits as anything close to a starter is in a 46 and the Jets just don't use that look any more.

He was good as a rotational player in 2009 when the Jets showed a lot of 46 with the corners right up on the receivers and Smith in the box and only Leonhard deep. They haven't used that front since they stopped all the blitzing and Smith is out of his depth right now in the coverage oriented scheme the Jets play most of the time.

Editing to say: Buddy's 46 was a big part of Rex's mix and the overall defense has gotten worse since the Jets stopped using it.

#38 Br4d, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  18. NYJet87

NYJet87 Active Member

I remember the rumor that Woody washed his hands of him after his second run-in (I guess that being his DUI on the West Side Highway), lost the interest in bringing him back. Not that Woody has been paying the boy scout types to come play for the Jets, but hopefully it doesn't squash him from coming back completely.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Jets haven't stopped using the 46, but I agree that is the only defensive role Eric Smith belongs on the field in.