Jets Playoff Chances

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Nov 23, 2011.

?

Do the Jets Make the Playoffs?

1. Yes

199 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. No

215 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

I'm bullish on the Jets running the table from here. If you asked me even last week I would have said the chances were that they wouldn't make the playoffs, but that was when Schottenheimer had full control. Now that Moore is going to be reigning in that giant turd of an excuse for an OC, the offense should stabilize and they're just going to keep getting better.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sanchez does play better when he has some continuity with his receivers. That's one way to look at the last two seasons and his performance in the playoffs. He actually had 10+ games with his receivers entering the playoffs each season.

2009 - Braylon Edwards joins the team in mid-season, Jerrico Cotchery gets hurt and Sanchez throw 5 picks against the Bills. Who was his continuity receiver available for that game? Brad Smith.

2010 - Sanchez is off to a hot start, limiting his mistakes and then Santonio Holmes joins the Jets game 5. Sanchez immediately has 3 bad games in a row throwing 1 TD and 4 picks with a completion percentage of 48.2% for the 3 games.

One of the main reasons the Jets offense has stabilized at the end of each season is that the pieces have finally meshed after an in-season training camp.

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Eagles (with Vick back), Giants and Dolphins (with Moore) aren't really the easiest schedule in the world... I don't get people (not you) saying we have an easy schedule to close the season.

4. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Totally agree with this. We could lose any one of these games. The Dolphins are on fire and always give us a run for our money. The Giants are fighting for a playoff spot and I really do not want to play the Eagles run game, especially if Vick is back. Running after him will be problematic.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

They are all more than winnable, it's not like we are playing Pitt, Bal, NE or GB to close out the season.

6. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying they aren't winnable. Heck, we're a good team so every game is winnable...

I'm saying there are many much easier opponents than those 3 teams. Wins and losses don't tell the whole story.

#146 Mambo9, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  7. Br4d

The Dolphins are the one of the best teams in the AFC over the last 5 weeks. I don't care how weak the opposition is, outscoring them by 140-53 over a 5 game span is really impressive.

I think the Jets are going to be underdogs in Miami week 17 unless the Dolphins suffer a serious injury between now and then. The Eagles are always a tough win in Philadelphia. The Giant game could go either way.

My gut tells me the Jets will get 10 wins but the 11th is going to require a major effort because their last "easy" game is KC this weekend.

8. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

That's my prediction... 10-6. The problem is that many of our losses have come from AFC teams and ultimately that's what will keep us out of the play-offs barring miracles.

9. Br4d

If the loss is to the Eagles or Giants they'll still have a shot at 10-6. If it's one of the other 2 games then they'll be 6-6 in the conference and out of the playoffs.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think 10-6 will get us in bit we'll see. For now I just want to beat KC and stay alive.

11. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

What do people want the schedule to look like? @ Indy, Vs. Indy, @ St. Louis, Vs. St. Louis?? This is about as easy as it's going to be for any team trying to make a December playoff push.

Realistically, We should be favored in every one of these final four games.
    The only people who don't believe it are gloom-and-doom Jets fans.
    Point spreads aren't based on the small segment of the NY population wringing their hands in worry about facing the Dolphins. If a 4 or 5 win Miami team was posted as a favorite over a 9 or 10 win Jet team fighting for the playoffs, everyone in the country would be taking the Jets and the points. They don't want that.

I understand this is just gambling talk, and really doesn't have much to do with the game ... but I'm just pointing out how unrealistic it is to say we'd be an underdog to the Dolphins.

People have short memories. We'll be playing the same team who managed 2 FGs against us with their season on the line, and had a QB rating under 42. If we go down to that empty stadium of theirs in a win-and-in situation, and allow them beat us, we should be embarrassed. If you want to say it won't be "easy" ... that's fine ... but we should expect to win that game.

#151 truthbtold, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  12. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

I don't feel the chances are good. But I do think "style points" actually come into play this weekend. Of course a W is a W, but I truly feel if they win in plodding, ugly, and questionable fashion (mistakes, turnovers etc), then no, that cairries forward to an L against the more competitive teams (KC is the easiest game left of the 4). If however, buy some stroke of the unbeleivable, this team plays a complete game, is efficient and effective in all phases and wins in relatively easy, dominating fashion, that would do wonders for confidence heading into the final 3.

The Eagles Giants and Dolphins are jeckyl and hyde teams right now, the Jets are consistently mediocre. I think it's actuallly a benefit to play the Eagles on the road, The Giant and Dolphin games will be heart wrenching pain in the ass games to watch, that' for sure.

In the end I gotta say no, they're gonna come up painfully short in tie breakers.

13. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

11-5, believe it and it will be so.

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

TITANS: Saints, Colts, Jaguars, Texans (sans Schaub and maybe Johnson)

BENGALS: Texans (sans ...), Rams, Cardinals, Ravens

We have 1 "easy" game and 3 balanced ones... they have 2 easy and 2 hard.

15. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Think we have a decent shot at taking the 6 seed by Sunday night.

Jets beat chiefs
    Titans lose to Saints
    Raiders lose to Packers
    Broncos still have AFC west lead win or lose

16. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

maybe I'm crazy but it wouldn't even shock me a little to see SD win the AFC West @ 9-7. Both the Broncos and Raiders will be hard-pressed to win two more games. If SD can beat the Ravens at home, I think they have a shot.

17. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

I haven't really wanted to look at scenarios, but my stomach churns everytime I see our record, and who we lost to, and how we lost. We could easily be 9-3 right now. The losses we lost were and will be crucial down the stretch.

I'm not sure if we run the table. These last 4 games are in no way shape or form "easy."

18. Johnny "Lam" Jones

Johnny "Lam" Jones Active Member

edit for win

19. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

We are in control of our own destiny. Can't ask for more with 3 weeks left in the season.

20. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

When Packers clinch it (24-0 already) it will be.