Jets Playoff Chances

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Nov 23, 2011.

?

Do the Jets Make the Playoffs?

1. Yes

199 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. No

215 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

In addition to enjoying the win, particularly another great play by Holmes and the overall play by the OL, I was mildly encouraged that the win and some of the scores for other teams has the Jets still in the hunt. The odds of making it to the playoffs got somewhat better. Imo it's still a difficult road ahead, but we all have to feel better about it today.

2. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

I would not be surprised at all if the Jets get in. As long as they keep winning the rest of their contenders are hitting speed bumps.

I think the Bengals are plumetting fast. They have a rough schedule. That leaves Oakland and the Titans who are still hanging there but Oakland definitely needs McFadden back.

3. LWC611

LWC611 Member

Too many conference losses. They do not own any tiebrakers and they need other teams to really falter down the stretch. While I would love to see it happen, there is too much that is out of their control.

4. BookEndTackles 72&79

I'm not worried about OAK or DEN. All we need is one of those two to stumble so the odds look good there. OAK schedule is too tough so they will drop at least one or two. How Denver keeps winning I don't know but they are certainly very beatable. Odds are they win the division so that takes them out of the WC picture. Cincy I'm not so worried about right now. They aren't a great team, they have 2 tough AFC games left and we could still beat them on a tiebreaker depending on certain circumstances. I'm most worried about TEN since the Jets lose any tiebreaker to them and they have JAX and INDY left on their schedule. New Orleans NEEDS to beat them this week or it cold be a big blow to the Jets.

5. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I hate this. Seems like we're ALWAYS going through these mathematical gyrations about who needs to beat whom and how it helps us. Drives me nuts. I'm frankly more worried about our final three games. If this season comes down to beating Miami on New Years Day because we lost to either the Eagles or the Giants, it will be just about the worst blow-yourself-up scenario I could imagine.

6. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Week 17. NO. :lol:

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree, but if the stars align Denver and Oakland could both end up 10-6 since they don't play each other, but most likely 9-7 unless Oakland beats Detroit and Denver beats the Bears

8. BookEndTackles 72&79

It sucks not having your own destiny in your hands but it is what it is.

I feel good about a tiebreaker scenario with Cincy since they have two cracks at losing one game to either the Ravens or Texans to give the Jets the edge over them. The more important of the two is the Ravens game since that would give the Jets the edge in the common games tiebreaker. Jets would be 3-2, Bengals would be 2-3 vs. common opponents of BUF, BAL, DEN and JAX.

If it comes down to SOV tiebreaker vs the Bengals I like the Jets chances. Bengals are 28-55, Jets are 33-51. If the Chargers win tonight then Cincy goes to 28-56. 29-55 with a Jags win. Tonight won't effect the Jets since they beat both teams but it helps drop Cincy back a bit. With STL and ARIZ left on Cincy's sked their SOV won't be enough to pass the Jets as the Jets upcoming opponents have far better records.

The key to winning a tiebreaker vs Tennessee is for them to lose to Jacksonville at home. Not impossible since the Jags beat them already this year but probably unlikely. They beat the Jags then they have the common opponents tiebreaker as long as they win at least one vs INDY or HOU. They would be 4-1 vs. the Jets 3-2 in games vs. BAL, DEN, JAX, BUF. They lose to the Jags in it comes down to SOV which is currently tied up at 33-51. With INDY left on their sked it will worsen that record considerably giving the Jets a serious leg up and the tiebreaker advantage. New Orleans beating them next week is probably the Jets best chance to get ahead of them and stay there.

9. GangG

GangG New Member

I was reading somewhere that if the Jets win out.. they only have an 80% chance of making the playoffs

I can't post links yet to credit the source but I was reading this on a blog earlier.

10. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

titans are screwing with us pretty bad.

11. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Thats kind of scare. The good thing is those %s dont mean much. I know assumptions mean nothing but winning out you have to like our chances. I assume the Bengals will lose to either the Texans or Ravens if not both. I assume Oakland loses to the Packers and I assume Denver loses to the Patriots. Also the Titans have to play the Saints and at the Texans. I know assumptions mean nothing in this league but I like our chances of winning out over any of those teams. That said I think the Jets lose to either the Giants or Eagles. At 10-6 we really have to hope for other teams to fail.

12. Big Blocker

If the Jets have won their remaining games up to the Miami game, and it certainly looks like, if that happens, they may still need to win that game to get in, I know what you are saying, but let's face it, we should be philosophical about it. One alternative would be that the Jets are out of the race by that point, due to a loss somewhere along the road. That would hardly be preferable, would it?

While it is less desirable to be where the Jets are than, say, the Pats are, at least these games, like yesterday's, mean something in terms of the playoffs. I am all for that continuing as long as possible.

But... of course you are right that it would suck big time to play Miami and lose when a win would get the Jets into the playoffs. One thing I have not liked so much about Ryan's time here, maybe what I have disliked the most, is that Miami has taken a few wins while they are doing poorly for the most part against the rest of the league. Beating them earlier this year was satisfying, but yes, that week 17 game is starting to loom large.

13. avrus

avrus New Member

90%. There was a /r/nfl post about it and the Jets were 90% if they can go 4-0.

14. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

Using ESPN's power rankings to predict the next 4 games, we win all of our remaining games and make the playoffs. Granted, ESPN's power rankings are not notoriously good. However, even changing the game vs. NYG to a loss, we're still in. This gave me a little more hope than I had before that we will make the playoffs.

You can test it out here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

15. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

In my opinion the JETS need to win out. The problem with that is that its not going to be easy. Any of these games could result in a loss for us. We really needed a win at Denver. What's done is done, I hope we are able to win out.

16. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

I think we can win the rest of our games. I think it's also very possible we lose 1, or even 2 of them. Its really nerve-wracking, but I am going to try to not think about it, really, and just focus on enjoying the rest of this football season as much as I can. I am going to look forward to the next game only. If we win the rest, great. If not, there's nothing I can do.

17. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

I'm not sure the Jets can beat KC......

At least that would end our misery pretty much though....

I sit here today and try to think of the top few moments of this season and I stumped... Even the wins are blah, hard to enjoy squeeking out wins vs Wsh and Buf.

Team is 7-5 but Sheesh, has to be the most boring bottom of the barrel 7-5 in NFL history.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Current status is 9th place in the AFC. That's a pretty accurate assessment of our chances to make the playoffs.

I'm still in the win out to get in crowd. We might not get in at 11-5 but everything would have to break just wrong for us to get left out. At 10-6 everything has to break just right to get in.

19. Big Blocker

Beating Miami is always satisfying, but that's a history and AFC East thing. Aside from that, if I had to choose, I would probably call the win against SD most satisfying, not perhaps so much in hindsight, but at the time, for sure. They were 4-1 with the Jets in need of a win. For sure the Bolts played very badly after that, but right now, they are playing well again.

Anyway, I agree with your general sentiment about the Jets mostly not looking so great even in wins, but that would be my candidate for most satisfying, even if it was not hugely satisfying.

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Shitting the bed against Oak and Den (I saw that one coming) could really bite them in the ass....... :eek:hmy:

Do you really see Denver losing to a QB-less Bears team? The JETS need to win out, I don't see it working out otherwise, but Santa has been nice to Rex before :beer: