Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

The Jets should have fired Schotty after 2008. Otherwise, I agree with this post.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

First of all I would hardly say it is impossible that a better OC could get better results with this group. But aside from not knowing who the Jets could get in there to perform that task, I think the limitations in the O are partly his fault, to be sure. But I also think the overall approach and philosophy reflects what Ryan wants out of the O, which in turn is partly the way he sees it fitting with the approach on D, but also reflecting Ryan's assessment of the limitations presented by the roster of players on O. Meaning in particular Sanchez.

In other words I think the system DOES reflect the players, and also Ryan's overall strategy. Ryan clearly wants a run first O. Any thought to going significantly more toward a pass oriented O was doomed in the first quarter of this season and the woeful performances in a couple of those games.

Some Schotty Haters here such as yourself acknowledge that Sanchez has problems, but you think they are mostly attributable to the OC. I am skeptical of that, to be sure. Does it mean I think it impossible that Sanchez could be better utilized? Of course not. I just don't think it is all that obvious how to go about doing that.

3. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Too many Championship game appearances or too many wins out of a QB in his first 3 seasons?

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Brad,

Favre succeeded best not because he had pull. He succeeded best because he had the most talent. Or maybe you disagree, and think that Sanchez is just as good a Qb as Brett Favre.

Heh.

5. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

you guys realize you are trying to use favre to prove schottys success, a guy who would just as soon draw every route on his hand in the huddle if he thought the play would work...

favre succeeded because he was good enough and smart enough to make the changes on the field for the ball to move. a rigid coach like schotty doesnt coach players to do this effectively at all, and would rather they failed running the play correctly than adjust their route and make a play. favre is one of the few players who would be able to stand up to this without fearing losing playing time.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Favre didn't succeed for us, he failed. he sabotaged our season when we had a creampuff sched and no Brady to deal w/. he was outplayed by matt Cassell in cassell's first career start, he was slo outplayed by Tyler Thigpen, Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Shaun Hill and Seneca Wallace.

Favre had a really good 4 game stretch and the cards game against a team that was humiliated every time they came East dueing that reg season.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Favre had more pull than Schotty and it wasn't even close.

Favre didn't even have to go to the Jets. He waited until August 7th to sign with them, ensuring that he would miss all the off-season workouts and the first week of camp, this further ensuring that Favre would be the primary decision-maker on what was run.

The Jets said repeatedly that they were running a modified version of their offense to accommodate Favre's late arrival. There was no question at the time that they were doing this.

Favre did exactly the same things with the Jets that he had done with Green Bay, right down to looking at Coles or Cotchery and whacking his wrist with his other hand to tell them they were going to be the hot read when a blitz unexpectedly showed up at the line on the other side while he was in his cadence.

The reason the Jets in 2008 looked so different from how they've looked every other season is that they were not running the same late developing plays with all the motion crap at the start. Favre knew that if he snapped the ball under 5 seconds on every play he was giving the defense an advantage and he got up to the line and got the ball snapped faster than any of the other guys before or since. If Sanchez was snapping the ball at 12-15 seconds most plays without asking for the adjustments that he's supposed too Schotty would be all over him.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

One of the primary reasons that Sanchez snaps the ball under 5 seconds on just about every play is that he is supposed to read the defense and THEN call for motion to unmask coverages.

You see this all the time when he kicks his foot and the flanker or second TE goes in motion. He will do this twice on a play and two players will go in motion, with one of them going and setting and then the next one going.

Schotty's scheme relies on a QB to read the defense and then to set things in motion that let him know where the safeties are likely to be and whether it is man or zone (if a defender follows the motion man the odds are it's a man defense and if nobody moves it's probably zone).

The scheme is much too complex to be run by a young QB and much too complex to be run with a changing cast of receivers every year and much too complex to be run when the QB does not have 2.5 seconds after the snap to make his reads.

It's just much too complex.

Sanchez is good in the playoffs because the Jets have been firmly in Ground and Pound by playoff time both seasons. He's much better at the end of the game because the offense just lines up and shoots from the hip. There's no time to motion and do all that crap when the clock is running and the Jets are down points.

Favre also ignored most of that stuff. He didn't do the kick to move people. He didn't do anything other than his normal routine: read the defense at the line, keep the play or audible to a better one, identify his hot receiver and make sure the two of them made eye contact before the snap so there was no question. That's why the Jets did well under him at the start: their personnel was not being held back by an overly complex scheme that was hard for a smart vet like Chad to run and has been damn near impossible for Sanchez (and Clemens.)

I have to edit this to say: there is no evidence at this point that Sanchez can run Schotty's system. All of his success has been in the hurry-up and the Ground and Pound. The Jets are going to need to break the two of them up if they want to see real progression to the next level out of Sanchez. Right now he's just incrementally improving as he slowly learns the "OMG can't do that's" of the system. He says it's all his fault because he won't throw anybody else under the bus for an error that might be his and he also knows that he's not getting the system the way it's written up. What he doesn't know is that nobody else has either.

#4148 Br4d, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  9. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

yeh the motion stuff is supposed to let mark know what kind of coverage the defense is going to run, and with that he will audible to the play he is told to for the situation. it takes so long to break the huddle because he calls plays in bunches for this reason. i think he would have much more success if he worked on a couple of bread and butter audibles that the team can use on any snap. also, if the offense was less worried with what the defense was doing and more about executing plays that will work against any scheme. such a huge part of the problem is always needing to outsmart the other team, even when it is not the smart decision on the field. i just dont like anything schotty brings to the table.

10. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

That is the part that disappoints me so much. Our schedule was a cake walk. No Brady on the Pats. He destroyed our season. The only time I was actually high on him was our performance against the Titans and second Patriots game. Then he just completely fell apart.

11. nyjunc

It sucked at the time but w/o that collpase we don't have Rex or Sanchez so in the end it worked out.

12. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yup. And like Meat Loaf sings..2 out of 3 Ain't bad. lol

13. JetsFan56

JetsFan56 New Member

because he injured his shoulder during the 2008 season which required surgery in early 2009...

14. nyjunc

He injured his elbow I believe and he did so in october then played his best football in November. The injury was nothing more than an excuse like sending out photos of his bruised leg after his choke in the '09 title game. he always has an excuse.

15. JetsFan56

JetsFan56 New Member

Report: Favre has surgery on shoulder

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/47168417.html

16. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

holy ball of a fuck i wish i could package bradwaysucks and whip him out everytime i encounter a schotty apologist in real life.

17. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Even if he is injured it doesn't take away from the fact that he ruined our season. There was also no excuse for the coaching staff of hiding his injury.

18. nyjunc

Don't you think that "report" would have been substantiated by now?

It was actual his biceps tendon not his elbow. Either way he played well w/ it in November- his best football of the year. I don't buy his excuses.

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I too thought he called one of this better games. I saw a couple of screens and an actual design roll-out though it was done only once. Maybe Schitty finally realized after Mark's game-winning TD last week that Mark is pretty good at throwing the ball on the move and maybe that should be incorporated in the game plan.

In general I don't like the Wildcat but with B. Smith I couldn't argue with using it because as it was very effective. Like you said everyone would know what was coming but 9 out of 10 times we would get the first down especially when Smith kept it for himself. Kerley is no B. Smith; Schitty needs to understand that. I'm also very fearful of Kerley or Greene mishandling the ball when we run it.

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Ditto on that:beer: