DeAngelo Hall: "Sanchez Middle Pack QB"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Burnz, Dec 1, 2011.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was thinking when I read that statement

2. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

just out of curiosity, was the Tone TD on Hall? that would be awesome.

3. Trifco

Trifco New Member

Brady, Rodgers, Brees and Manning are so good that they should be counted at least for 3 QBs each.

That's twelve QBs right there.

4. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

pretty sure it was not. I was thinking the same right after the TD catch, and it wasn't #23.

5. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Well Sanchez is in the bottom 1/3 or bottom 1/4 of just about every QB statistic. I know statistic's arent' everything but...at the moment Sanchez is at best a middle of the road QB and on the lower end of that.

completion Percentage 28th
    24th in the league in yards per attempt
    The one main catagory he's doing well in is his redzone with 18 TD's being tied for 8th in the league, so this is one area he's improved in.
    He's tied for the 9th highest number of Pickoffs.

to compare to last year when he was
    29th in the lague in Completion percentage
    26th in the league in Yards per attempt
    19th in the lague in TD's (Like I said red zone his one area of substantial improvement)
    and tied for the 13th highest interception total.

6. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Good argument if that was what I was contesting.

7. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

The Jets had 168 total yards after 3 quarters and trailed 16-13 with less than 5 minutes left.

Why do people think Sanchez had a "good" game?

Granted, he did what he had to do to win, but how about playing solid for 4 quarters? Hell, even 3 of them? His 4th quarter comebacks are blinding people to the fact that he is THOROUGHLY mediocre for 3 1/2 quarters most games.

I want him to succeed, but a win doesn't mean he played well.

8. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

He was 9/11 in the first half. He was on the money in the fourth quarter. Which QBs are you watching that are perfect from start to finish? Brady and Manning are two of the best of all time, it's unfair to use them as any kind of measuring stick.

9. bobby2times

bobby2times Member

Its called the Tim Tebow effect.

10. KWJetsFan

9 of 11 with how many yards? How many TD's? What does that mean? Pennington used to have a good completion percentage with very few yards as well.

You think he played well for the first 55 minutes? He didn't!! He won, and unlike a lot of people here, I give him credit for being a big 4th quarter QB, but it would be cool if he was big for the whole game. Again.....we were losing 16-13 to the Redskins with 5 minutes left? Is that a big Sanchez game?

Seriously...a win is a win, but don't make him out to be more than he is.

11. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

Amazing! He leads them to a win and this clown says he didn't play well. Non-believers are pathetic.

12. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

thats bullshit. Mark Sanchez has been doing this for 2+ years. His defenders have been arguing his late game heroics and playoff performances are keys to understanding the real Mark for the same amount of time. Tebow has been playing for 7 weeks.

13. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I'm not. He's good and he played well. We won a road game by 15, that's good at any time. Who cares what the score was at some arbitrary point before the end of the game?

14. KWJetsFan

You are right. He was Rodgers like. (Idiot)

Read my posts. I gave him credit for winning. If you think he had a good overall game, than your standards are very, VERY low.

15. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

how about 9/11 in three drives, having put up 10 points. Not bad at all.

His 3rd quarter was atrocious, but he came back strong in the 4th and did what he had to do.

16. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

When he was 9 of 11 he threw for a fair amount of yards and Greene just got the TD from the 1 after the Plax first down. He played great for the first few drives when he had the ball. He struggled in the 2nd half until the 4th quarter.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Here's what I'm starting to think at this point about the clutchness: I don't think clutchness actually exists (the concept not the word which probably also doesn't exist.)

I think what we see as clutchness comes down to a couple of possibilities.

First it could just be random, the result of a small sample compared to the overall population, which just happens to be points at which Sanchez is randomly performing better than he does the rest of the time. I mean we're talking just a few games in the playoffs and just a few 4th quarter comebacks at this point over the last two seasons. That could easily be just a few sequences where Mark got lucky and the Jets won as a result. After all, there is a lot more evidence that he is a mediocre QB over the majority of his actual play time in the NFL.

So, that's one possibility that I see.

Then the other possibility is that the rules change for the Jets on offense in playoff games and at the end of games they are losing. Somehow the plays are called differently, the options used are different, the actual player configurations are different in those situations and Sanchez works better than he does under the Jets normal offensive scheme. This resulting in much more effective play, points, and wins.

Ok, so how do we sort out the two situations to see if they are different from each other? What do we look for? Do we look for run-pass percentage? Do we look for the types of routes that are run in the passing game? Do we look for how Sanchez is protected or moved around in the scheme to make things more effective?

I'm not sure I know the answers to how to figure out what exactly is different between the typical first 3 quarters the Jets play and the 4th quarter. Checking run-pass percentage actually probably won't tell us much because teams pass more when they are behind and run more when ahead. Checking play calls, which plays are called, is going to be impossible based on the info readily available. Player configurations are a different story but still hard to get without having the game on DVR.

All I know is somebody should try to figure this out because the odds that Sanchez is actually clutch are fairly low. It's either random or the result of differences in the offensive schemes and personnel. Whether we're seeing Lucky Sanchez or Throttled Schotty/Rex at the end is the question.

Just to explain a little better on the Throttled Schotty/Rex possibility: you can't run elaborate slow developing plays with lots of options and personnel changes in a 2 minute drill and you can't spend 15 seconds picking your play either, you can't go ground and pound when you need points now and the goal line is 60 yards away. Both of the Jets primary schemes are disabled by default in comeback attempts.

#117 Br4d, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  18. KWJetsFan

Again....no doubt. A win is a win. I give Mark all the credit in the world for being a big 4th quarter QB. I'm just saying, it was ABSOLUTELY NOT a solid 4 quarter performance. Just like last week. In fact, he was straight up bad for long stretches.

People are blinded by wins. Just like last week. "Oh, he threw for 4 TD's. It was a good game." No, it wasn't. Again, he won, and that's huge, but I want steady improvements. Against "good" teams, this shit doesn't work.

19. KWJetsFan

Again, I agree for the most part. I know it seems like I'm being argumentative and I don't mean to be. I'm just saying.......he was awful for long stretches and the Jets had 13 points against the fucking Redskins with 5 minutes to play. That won't cut it against good teams.

20. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

We'll see what he does against other teams when we play them.

First half we had three drives: TD, 3 and out, FG. Sanchez played well in that time. You can't seriously be disappointed that he doesn't lead the team to scores on every single drive?

He had a slight lull in the third quarter (including a missed Folk FG that would have given us a lead at that stage), but came back and finished strong.

He's not an elite quarterback, so to hold him to elite standards is just asking for disappointment. He is a winning quarterback with three years of results to back up that view.