Week 13 rooting guide

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjets2sb, Nov 29, 2011.

1. nyjets2sb

nyjets2sb Member

Its pretty obvious we want the Broncos to lose to the Vikings and Titans to lose to the Bills. The game I am questioning is pretty obvious, Bengals vs. Steelers.

Bengals are 7-4 while the Steelers are 8-3. If the Bengals win do we even have a shot to make the playoffs? It seems to me the only games they might lose in the remaining weeks are this one and the finale against the Ravens.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

We root for the Steelers then. It is settled.

3. FLorida-Jet

FLorida-Jet Banned

After the heartbreaking loss against the Broncos, I've given up all hope for the AFC East division. It's slim to none that NE loses 3 of their next 5 games against Indy, Washington, Denver, Miami and Buffalo. Because of that, I'm forced to pull for a wild card birth. With all that said, if the Bengals beat the Steelers, either the Bengals or Steelers would have to lose two more games from there on out (because of our awful AFC conference record); which may never happen. Therefore, I'll pull for a Steelers victory hopefully dropping the Bengals to 5 loses. The Bengals would still have to play the Texans and Ravens... So there's hope with a Bengals loss this week. Obviously another Jets loss and our season is over (because of our conference record). If we're to advance come postseason play, we'll have to do it as a 6th seed.

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It's possible Cincy lays an egg or two down the stretch like we did @DEN.

5. JIMsection323

JIMsection323 New Member

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you root for the Steelers you are basically going all in on the Bengals finishing 9-7 and eliminating themselves. Ideally we'd have two teams finish 10-6 in the North and eliminate one of them from wild card competition before the Jets factored in.

I think the Bengals could easily go 3-1 in their final four even if they lost to the Steelers on Sunday. They'd have Houston, @St Louis and Arizona left on the schedule alongside Baltimore on the final weekend.

If the Steelers drop to 8-4 then their final four is home and home against the Browns, @SF, StL. I think the Jets best chance to make the playoffs might actually come from the Browns finding a way to beat the team they really hate and the Steelers losing at SF on the way to 10-6 while the Bengals were also finishing 10-6.

I'm going to root for the Bengals to beat the Steelers I thnk.

7. rex'n'effects

rex'n'effects New Member

jets really don't need to win out...we basically have a "free" loss to burn vs. an NFC team because:

11-5 bengals win tiebreaker over 11-5 jets, but

10-6 jets win tiebreaker over 10-6 bengals IF jets beat mia, kc AND bengals lose 2 to pit, hou, bal

(this is obviously ignoring a 10-6 denver and weirdo scenarios like a 10-6 cincy that drops both games to crappy NFC opponents)

8. BookEndTackles 72&79

Bengals need to lose two of their three remaining AFC games to get to 5 conference losses. Must wins for the Jets are the Fish and KC so both teams are tied at 7-5 in the AFC. Cincy plays HOU, PIT and BAL in the AFC. STL and ARZ in the NFC. If the Jets tie them in conference record the Jets probably would own the strength of victory tiebreaker by a wide margin since one of Cincy's wins was vs. INDY who will finish with the worst record going away.

Cincy has had a very weak schedule. 2 wins over CLE, wins over INDY, SEA, TEN. Their JAX victory would wash with ours. Their BUF win would wash with ours. Cleveland MIGHT win one more game since they play both PIT and BAL twice so their SOV is bound to get worse. Philly over Seattle would help knock the Bengals SOV down and BUF over TEN helps out as well. MIA & DAL winning a couple down the stretch helps our SOV

9. rex'n'effects

rex'n'effects New Member

Br4dw4y - i'd be agreeing with you more if KC had found a way to upset pittsburgh but i really don't feel like they're losing 3 of 5. i kinda want to figure out how we're doing with tiebreakers vs. pittsburgh but i don't want to bother until we're just a game behind them.

bookend - i agree, i feel like we will crush them in SoV - those NFC west teams plus indy and jax are killing them

10. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Wake me up when we win our next 2. For now just root for every AFC team with a winning record to lose. The AFC north is our clusterf*ck right now. 3 of them will likely go if we don't take care of our own business anyway.

11. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

Rooting guide (IMO)

Jets over Washington (no shit)
    Pitt over Cincy
    Oakland over Miami (want them to win division bc of tie-breaker over Jets)
    Minnesota over Denver
    Houston over Atlanta (it would be nice if they can hold onto the division with no QB)
    Buffalo over Tennessee
    Baltimore over Cleveland (want them to win the division bc of tie-breaker over Jets)

all those things along with a Jets win make for an ideal week 13 IMO. argue as you wish, but thats how i see it benefiting the Jets the best

12. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

What the deal with BALT and PIT and the afc north 1st place. Does Baltimore automaticly get it because they swept the Steelers? If Baltimore rests their starters on the last game of the regular season that could allow Cinci to get a win.

13. FLorida-Jet

FLorida-Jet Banned

Hopefully the Jets win our next two against both Washington and KC. If we're sitting at 8-5 heading into our Eagles matchup, chances are, we'll be in much stronger position for a playoff birth. I always catch myself looking at the playoff picture, but as of right now, while sitting at only 6-5 overall... The only game that truly matters is our Jets vs Redskins matchup. Lose that game, and our playoff hopes go down the drain. Beat the Redskins, live for another game, and see how the AFC plays out this week. If the Jets were to win out, yes, we'll need some help but chances are... We'll make the playoffs at 11-5.

14. BookEndTackles 72&79

Jets don't match up well with tiebreakers vs. the Steelers. Cincy is the more realistic target so gotta root for Pittsburgh this week. If Cincy wins then CLE has to pull off TWO wins vs. Pittsburgh which is unlikely. The Jets would have to have a better conference record than the Steelers and not be tied with them in conference record since they lose the next tiebreaker after conference record which is common games. Common opponents are NE, KC, BAL and JAX. Pittsburgh would be 3-2 in those games, Jets would be 2-3

If Cincy loses to Baltimore in Week 17 and loses to either PIT or HOU and the Jets take care of KC and MIA and finish tied with them in conference record the Jets win the common games tiebreaker and it won't come down to strength of victory. Common opponents are BUF, JAX, DEN and BAL. Jets are a combined 3-2 while Cincy would be 2-3.

15. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

Need pitt to win and need the vikings to come up huge.

16. FLorida-Jet

FLorida-Jet Banned

Strong in depth post by BookEndTackles72&79. Now that our division hopes are over and done with, it's more than obvious we pull for Pittsburgh to beat the Bengals this week. We'll have 4 other weeks to root against the Steelers, but this week isn't one of them.

17. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Sorry, this week none of this really helps.

Every time Pitt, Cincy, or Baltimore loses it helps us. the AFCW and AFCS are irrelevant because it would take an act of god for them to be involved in the wildcard race.

Miami is out of it, and it is best for us if they finish middle of the pack for draft positioning.

Any NFC losing to an AFC contender is bad at the moment.

Buff over Tenn doesn't really help anything. Tenn and Houston, whoever ends up going, will be one and done.

Balt over Cleveland? Again, any AFCN team losing works for us at the moment.

The idea is for the Jets to win, and every other possible AFC contender to lose. At least for a couple more weeks. The closer everyone comes back to .500 the better our chances.

18. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

i don't get it. Shouldn't we just be rooting for Cincy and Denver and Tennessee to lose every week.

19. FLorida-Jet

FLorida-Jet Banned

Losing to Denver was heartbreaking, that loss still hurts two weeks later, but I'm not worried about Tebow and the 6-5 Broncos. Yes, they're on I believe a 4 game win streak, but they still have the Bears and Patriots after the Vikings this week. If Adrian Peterson can return from injury, I like the Vikings at home this week. Even the Bills and Chiefs are teams who can beat the Broncos.

20. FLorida-Jet

FLorida-Jet Banned

Yes.

Our biggest concern is Cincy. We need these guys to lose games, or even if we win out, we'll have no chance of the postseason at 11-5 overall. Not only is it important for the Jets to win out, but it's a must that Cincy loses another two games.