A reader's plea

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ulrich, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Ulrich

Ulrich Member

This site used to be a relaxing read after work. More and more, it has taken on the tone of a teenage girls' support group for victims of the New York Jets. Got it: a conspiratorial group of freaks of nature and pharmacology has deprived you of vicarious pleasures to which you felt yourself entitled. When you share your outrage with those who feel similarly wronged, it hurts less. It is also crashingly boring. So shut up.

Look at the talent on this team. Are we massively underperforming? Should we be dominating the AFC? Did we have some means of piling up probowlers in the offseason that we missed out on? Obviously not. So shut up.

It's not the criticism that's boring; quite the contrary. It's the "waaah I'm so unhappy the Jets are pathetic and mean to me because they don't win enough" bullshit. This is not a dominant team on paper; neither is it woeful. We might make the playoffs and make a run; we might shit our pants and go 7-9. A Jets team with a shot at the playoffs - it's mental cruelty! Who can stand the suspense! Where have you been the last 40 years? I've been around for 30. The last 2 years have been the most fun I've seen, and this one is still undecided. You're somehow unsatisfied? Shut up.

We just beat a division rival in a must-win game. I have a few hard weeks coming up; I'd love to get back to reading some vaguely intelligent discussion on who did what and why, with some perspective and analysis, rather than who sucks and how much they hurt my feelings by sucking so much. Nobody cares if you think someone sucks. Specifically, if you feel the need to make a pun on Brian Schottenheimer's name, Jesus Christ just please shut up.

I sometimes wonder if the Jets have been so awful so often due to a clever marketing strategy to satisfy their fan base. Some emoting after a tough loss or two is understandable, but I just can't keep up with all the innovative posts proclaiming that Suckchez and Suckenheimer suck.

2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Ok,great. We'll discuss jets football to your guidelines and feel about wins and losses exactly how you tell us to. Thanks for joining so recently and fixing us,and GFY.

I've been watching the Jets since i was old enough to understand football,which is nearly 30 years ago. I'm not gonna have you tell me how to discuss anything.

3. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

So instead of lurking why don't you contribute rather than complain?

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

It's been that way for 10 years. Just take Sanchez out of the posts and replace it with Pennington and you have this board circa 2003-2007.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No offense intended but this site is probably 50% long term darksiders so if you want a pep rally every game you're probably in the wrong place.

It's fine to hope that you'll get something different out of TGG. It's just unrealistic to base your enjoyment of the site on whether or not you'll get a heavy tinge of pessimism when things get fluxy as they usually do around the Jets.

Use the ignore function and lots of the problems you see in the population will go away.

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

What else is new?

Contribute and stir some new debate or don't read.

The way we have lost big games in our history still hangs over alot of people

7. colleen74

colleen74 Member

There is plenty of good stuff mixed in with the crap. You can usually tell the difference by the thread title (well... most people can).

Get over yourself. Did you really think you were going to make a difference here with this nonsense?

Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to TGG. If you want to read only through green-tinted glasses, go to newyorkjets.com, the grass is WAY greener over there.

8. typeOnegative13NY

I guess maybe a memo from you should be sent to the stadium to ban all boos and be happy about it when snachez throws into quadruple coverage for a pick.Seemed to be an awful lot of boos today,you have a lot of minds to change and fans to fix.

9. Odd Neck Stems

I somewhat sympathize - football is not my most knowledgeable sport, and I feel like I used to lurk here and get information that I couldn't in other places, with more detailed and informative analysis than in the media. Recently I feel like there are more people who are looking for quick fixes without contributing interesting analysis.

10. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

We can't do that. Everyone knows that booing players makes them play better.

11. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I agree that the idiocy is really annoying, but it is not going anywhere. Just ignore the stupid shit and post more if you want a better forum. Of course, that assumes that you are not an idiot.

12. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Nothing annoys me more when watching a game. No one should be booing any Jet at any time during a game. Do people really think that helps?? If you want the team to win, I think it's the worst thing you could do. If a guy screws up, it sucks, but there's nothing good that's going to come out of letting him know there's a whole stadium that thinks he's awful.

13. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

No, you got it wrong. They're saying "Boo-urns".

14. typeOnegative13NY

I disagree. Shit play calls and dunbass throws deserve a word or 2 from the people who pay over 100 dollars to see something better. They want the crowd to be loud for defense,cheer when something good happens,it works both ways. These overpayed people work all week on what TD celebrations they are going to do for the purpose of the crowd,youre damn right you desrve a boo or 2 if you fuck up.

15. NYJet87

NYJet87 Active Member

Yeah, sure. Spend at least 12 hours and at least $200 coming to the game but don't boo me, I can't deal with the added pressure. Give me a break, unless you're Brandon Jacobs, you know when you deserve to hear it from your own fans. Not trying to be an asshole but stop, we're not talking about Pop Warner kids getting booed by their parents.

16. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Ah, the good ole days.
    "Play Quincy Carter!"
    "Play Kellen Clemens!"
    "Give Brooks Bollinger A Chance!"
    "Put Vinny Back In!"
    "Now put Chad back!"
    Prime days for pathetic threads created on a whim.

17. typeOnegative13NY

And before the days of the message board,there were signs brought to the games,in every stadium,for every team at some point. It's how life works. Something good happens,people are happy. Something bad happens,people not happy. No self richeous internet douche is gonna change that.

18. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Gee,.......the last 2 years have been,.......FUN for me.
    I've had a FUN time with these last 2 years ---- particularly this season with all the guarantees and proclamations of "best this and best that" and a 6-5 record to show for it.

Go start your own website & I'll make sure to review it thoroughly before I join.

19. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

Interesting that you felt the need to tell someone this.

20. typeOnegative13NY

What's interesting about it?