I want to gauge where everyone stands on the real issue, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BadgerOnLSD, Nov 19, 2011.

?

Where do you fall?

1. I still believe in Schottenheimer

5.3%
  2. I gave up on him this year

29.9%
  3. I gave up on him in 2010

31.7%
  4. I gave up on him in 2009

13.7%
  5. I gave up on him in 2008

9.5%
  6. I gave up on him in 2007

9.9%
  1. Coach K

Coach K New Member

actually if sanchez makes the read and throws the ball as mcknights turning around he makes the catch and the first down.

I see what your saying but a play was there.

I havent read any of this thread yet but I will say people are starting to make all the excuses for Sanchez they can.

the things I cant hold against him are the musical chairs at WR since he got here.

and the OL performance this year pales in comparison to the last 3 years even mangini's last year.

Schottenheimer has some bad play calls thats a given.

Sanchez though, misses reads, critical reads, at least 3-5 times a game. If we run the ball the way we do those plays HAVE to be made.

Combine that with his penchant to throws INT's most notably pick 6's at THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME. That is getting old fast.

If were going for a new OC he has to be an obvious upgrade, and I fail to see one. Callahan is great with the OL but he also rode Grudens offense into the SB and got spanked. Then flamed out in quite an ugly way at Nebraska.

Everyone thinks there is a fast solution to making Sanchez look better. If anything it would be getting a top young prospect at WR to pair with Holmes.

Burress cant take the top off a defense and his route tree seems to be limited at this point in his career. Teams are doubling Holmes all the time. Braylon stopped that. He's not here and I think that has exposed and limited our passing game.

Thats just based off the talent or lack theirof on the roster. Throw in erratic playcalling from Schottenheimer that teeters on genius only to later border on retarded and you have a mixed bags of issues that affect this offense and Sanchez development.

We need a new starting RT and more depth at G (Moore will be done soon and Slauson is a C+/B- player this early in his career.

Throw in WR, OLB, and S and the Jets have some work to do. If anything this year has shown me we are truly a couple good players away from making this happen.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Having a crappy OC is not an excuse for Sanchez. They are 2 seperate issues.

3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I am an original Schotty hater. The dude has been insanely predictable.

4. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

no.

they're not. they're the definition of interrelated and to imply different is absurd.

5. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Schotty & Rex philosophies are the total opposites.

Rex wants a run first, do what you know best, occasional bomb offense.
    Schotty wants a 3 WR, let's outsmart the opponent with shifts and trick plays offense.

I think Rex will have to establish his style of football in the selection of the next HC.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

A great QB might be able to cover up for Shotty but he has had great QB's without great results. Sanchez may well be a poor QB but Shotty hasn't demonstrated that any QB will excell under him. Sorry the fact that the teams performance is interrelated doesn't mean you can't objectively look at the scheme the QB progression, the lack of excellent production out of the TE or the wr and not look at both independently.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Really? It's a classic 3-on-2 on the right side. Two guys were locked into man coverage and one was a zone. If Sanchez threw to McKnight's way, either the zone guy (the guy in between) might have jumped in front for a pick, (yeah. this is the absolute worst) or McKnight would have been mauled by two guys. I don't see how the play was there when there was none.

8. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

How do I feel about Brian MF Schottenheimer?

my signature quote says it all...

9. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Sarcasm implied right?

10. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

If it were up to me I'd maybe, just maybe have WR run 12yd post, TE run an out along the sideline. Send WR guy way long, and have the RB delay through the middle. That probably ups our chances of a 1st down completion by 500%. But what do I know? Schotty is smarter than everyone right?

11. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

The issue is honestly not with Schotty. It's Sanchez. He needs a running game to be even just a decent QB. If we have no running game, we cannot rely on his arm to do ANYTHING. He should be a backup at best

12. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

If Sanchez is dropping back and getting destroyed within 2 seconds of every pass play..how is that his fault? If Schotty can't design pass plays that actually work.. (note animated gif above) how are Sanchez and his WR's supposed to overcome that?

13. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

That career backup won more playoff games than every Jet QB combined. And dont tell me he didn't perform well in those games. There are 2 QB's in entire league that can overcome bad OL play and bad coaching..and both will be in HOF.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Roethlisberger and who?

And I'm not sure Roethlisberger could overcome bad coaching. He manages to keep things under control when his OL is having issues but he doesn't shine there, just keeps things under control.

Neither Peyton Manning nor Tom Brady can do anything with bad line play and neither ever could either. They've both been fortunate to have competent OL play throughout their careers.

Aaron Rodgers comes closest to Roethlisberger but his teams didn't win when they had the weak offensive line configurations either. He looked pretty good but his teams still lost a lot.

15. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Anyone who is defending Shotty at this point either doesn't know a thing about football or is getting a paycheck from the Jets.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you.

17. ROCaMOB

ROCaMOB New Member

I gave up in 2007. I began to really hate him as a person in 2009 when we lost to Buffalo in OT. It's actually sad we were even still in this one. Going up against the absolute worst run defense in the NFL. TJ had well over 200 yards including 2 70 yard runs. Sanchez threw 5 picks along with 1 from the punter. Still wondering Why a rookie Sanchez was throwing the ball more than 5 times AT ALL agaisnt that team.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That's the execution problem. Not Schottenheimer's fault.

19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

you guys need to pick a side and stay on it.

1. brett was hurt worse than anyone realized and wanted to tough it out. dont you remember the whole fiasco after brett was on the vikings?

2. you guys on one hand say brett made the offense look potent because "he's an hall of famer" yet when brett struggled it was schottys fault?

thomas jones ran the ball 24 times in that game against the raiders, leon washington ran it 3 times. so to say they didn't run the ball that much is silly.

i'll give you the chiefs game.

the bold are stuff i see every qb do. i'm not trying to discredit him but still.

20. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

When Brett struggled Schotty continued to call 30+ pass plays every week. You still haven't offered an explanation for this other than "Brett didn't want to admit he was hurt." Hurt or not, if your QB is shitting the bed like that you don't call that many pass plays.