I want to gauge where everyone stands on the real issue, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BadgerOnLSD, Nov 19, 2011.

?

Where do you fall?

1. I still believe in Schottenheimer

5.3%
  2. I gave up on him this year

29.9%
  3. I gave up on him in 2010

31.7%
  4. I gave up on him in 2009

13.7%
  5. I gave up on him in 2008

9.5%
  6. I gave up on him in 2007

9.9%
  1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

His offense seems like it could only succeed with a super-smart, super accurate QB like Drew Brees. Sanchez is not Drew Brees. But instead of playing to Mark's strengths (or Favre's, or Chad's), we keep throwing the same shit up against the wall. We're basically trying to fit a square peg into a circle hole over and over.

You'll see more plays where 2 or 3 guys do the same exact thing right near each other in 1 Jets game than you will in an entire season of watching a good team that knows how to get spacing and exploit weaknesses in the defense. When's the last time you watched the Packers or Saints play and do something like the GIF in this thread where 5 receivers run the same exact pattern SHORT of the marker? Or how many times do you see a team have 2 of their receivers run into each other because the patters are so close? It's pathetic.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

let me break this down in 2006 (schottys first year with the jets) the jets did more with less on offense. they had to depend on kevin barlow and a rookie leon washington, not to mention two young o linemen, average to below average recievers (justin mccarins, cothcery, and coles) and te chris baker.

the talent on that team wasn't great but the offense despite its lack of talent played solid football.

2007 was an injury hit season

2008 the offense looked good until brett got hurt.

2009 a rookie sanchez gets handcuffed and is asked to be a glorified game manager. he had weaknesses in his game that was being masked to protect him.

2010 sanchez gets the cuffs loosened a little but still shows why he isn't ready to really be allowed to do more.

2011 sanchez gets his chances to throw more due to our crappy running game, and even then he still is inaccurate, and a poor decision maker. hence why the playcalling doesn't have him throwing deep balls every other play.

sanchez has had more talent on this team than chad, and yet the offense looks horrible.

and if sanchez is as good as some of you guys claim then shouldn't sanchez be exceeding despite the so called "poor play calling"

3. The 1985er

what are mark's strengths? let me know.

4. NYRSkate

NYRSkate Guest

Saw the gif in the first post and it hit me where Schottenheimer got his football knowledge from.

[​IMG]

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

eh.....

2006: I agree, that was his best work with the JETS. made chicken salad from chicken shit. The team had no run game, so the trickery stuff was appropriate, and often worked. At least Coles & Cotch were a decent combo. Chad still had the most INTs of career that year

2007: agree. Injury riddled clusterfuck of a year. Hard to grade anything

2008: DISAGREE. This was Schotty's WORST season imo.... The Oak, KC, and SEA were his classic examples of not attacking a teams glaring weakness (their poor run defense) Throwing all day in the cold Monsoon vs DEN, wasn't genius either.... especially when Favre was clearly off. Next season Favre moves on and has a career year, and lowest INTs.

2009: Fair enough, they had to keep it simple for a GREEN rookie on a good team.

2010: Sanchez did show some improvements imo...... Schotty had plenty of his stupid playcalling moments though. His play calls / formations are questionable at best

2011: looks similar, but I'll admit, Sanchez doesn't look as sharp despite what stats may say. I guess getting pounded behind Wayne Hunter will do that. Even so, the actual plays are pretty bad. Take a few shots downfield, even if just to keep the safeties honest. These bunching of the WRs in one place is horrible. (and happened alot 2010 as well)

I don't think anyone is saying Sanchez is great (well, I know I'm not) He has ALOT that needs to improve. His happy feet, and staring down his primary target and not going through reads are my biggest concerns.
    The fact that he has shown flashes means that it's not time to give up on him yet.
    It's easier for a team to replace a competent-at-best OC than it is to groom a new young QB (something the JETS have not been able to with any success in a LOOOOONG time (Chad would be crippled by some of the beatings Mark has taken) so may as well replace the OC, especially given some of his repetitive flaws over the years and see if that works....... I didn't like him pre-Sanchez anyway

6. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

7. The 1985er

brett got hurt in the tennesee game and didn't look the same the rest of the season.

8. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

So why did Schotty continue to call 30+ pass plays every week?

2008 was not a good year for Schotty. The O was inconsistent out of the gate, got hot on our 5-game win streak and then crashed and burned.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

For the very same reasons he called passes after passes against Raiders when TJ was eating them alive? (and lose)

10. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

:rofl:

fillah

11. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

Is this real life?

Is this guy trolling or is he serious?

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

35 throws in the Seattle snow.

13. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

The ice should have made it easier for the wideouts to get separation!

14. The 1985er

Because Brett gave the impression that he was healthy enough to throw the football?

15. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Then Schotty obviously has a shitty read of a QB's abilities.

Also throwing more than you run it in the snow, against a team headed by Seneca Wallace doesn't sound like the best game plan to me.

16. The 1985er

What am I saying wrong please explain

It ain't like Brett never threw 30 plus passes on the frozen tundra in green bay.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Karma is over rated but luck is another thing altogther. I was suspect of the Shotteheimer name from day one.

Pleasantly surprised in 06 but the comming storm was obvious when Penny threw the lateral in the NE playoff game.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

You missed the point.

19. The_W

The_W Banned

The Raiders and Chiefs games were before the Tennesee game. Both of those teams had horrendous run D's at the moment but Schotty thought it would've been too obvious if we had ran at them at will... I for one remember the Oakland game as one of the biggest clusterfucks I've witnessed by this team. Schotty's idea to go five wide and have Brett fucked up all day by the quick blitz was asinine. As a matter of fact it has continued with Mark too.

And like others have said, if Brett was hurt after the game at Tennesee then why did we keep throwing the ball? Plus if I recall correctly Denver's run D was also at the bottom of the league when we faced them but we still decided to come out throwing against them.

And who could forget the great innovative double reverse which gave Denver its first points?

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Seriously?

Play Action, Rollouts, Pump fakes, elusive ability in the pocket, mobile when needed, 4th quarter and playoff ability.

Not bad for a 3rd year QB. Now if he was more consistent, I would add more.

He's not as terrible as the numbers indicate. Its laughable to think so.