I want to gauge where everyone stands on the real issue, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BadgerOnLSD, Nov 19, 2011.

?

Where do you fall?

1. I still believe in Schottenheimer

5.3%
  2. I gave up on him this year

29.9%
  3. I gave up on him in 2010

31.7%
  4. I gave up on him in 2009

13.7%
  5. I gave up on him in 2008

9.5%
  6. I gave up on him in 2007

9.9%
  1. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Does anyone give schotty credit for the good games Sanchez plays?

2. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Yea I know they had their tiff earlier but I could see them getting passed that. Ultimately both want to win and I could see them getting together. Also Schotty isnt going anywhere unless we have a great replacement and Norv would be a very attractive candidate.

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Yes. But it's not all about just Sanchez playing well. It's about how the offense looks.. how they come out, how prepared they are to attack a weakness, how he adjusts mid-game.

The problem is there are soooo few games like that. It's usually just the same old shitfest thrown together by Schitty.

4. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

just cause hes called a couple decent games doesnt excuse the absolute shit hes put out there and called his offense.

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

That GIF perfectly sums up why Schitty sucks. Are there any other comical GIF's like that to show Schitty's disastrous play designs?

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think it's clear that the explanation for the retardedness was that Schotty was afraid that if he did anything more than spread his receivers way out and sit them inside the first down marker that 2 or possibly more of them would run into each other and fall down.

Seriously, either Brian Schottenheimer is one of the worst play designers in NFL history or there are multiple receivers on this offense who have no learned it yet and have absolutely no clue where they are supposed to be on a given play. Not one receiver like that, multiple receivers like that.

Given that Keller ran into somebody last game I think it's pretty clear that inexperience is not the problem.

Luck is the residue of design.

Conversely, rotten luck is the afterbirth of bad design.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

No, it's all black and white. if the O plays well it's b/c of the players, if the O plays poorly it's all the fault of the OC(it will be this way w/ the next OC too). It's easy to blame the OC.

#107 nyjunc, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  8. The 1985er

Don't you think schotty adjusts? Really? I mean who sees something not working and still keeps on doing the same thing? The problem is that there are games (chargers, bills) where the offense clicked. Then there are times when the offense is flat (credit to the other teams defense)

9. The 1985er

Yeah I noticed that too, oc is a thankless job.

10. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Our track record in the 1st quarter is so abysmal that it's..um... abysmal. And it's not all on Sanchez...it's on the run game as well. How many times do I need to see a counter that takes 3 secs to develop go right up the middle and get stuffed for 1 yd?

Schotty rarely calls quick pitch sweeps or off tackle plays to stretch the defense. Believe it or not, plays like this improve the play action as the game goes along. Schotty rarely creates any offensive flow between runs and passes and for that he is 100% culpable.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Well, the key thing to remember with this dynamic, which I somewhat agree with, is that if the offense plays lots of good games the offensive coordinator is pretty invisible and not criticized a lot, but if the offense screws the pooch over and over again, well...

Brian Schottenheimer deserves every bit of criticism he is getting right now. His offense blows chunks and it does so in every phase of the game. His job is to make that better or step aside if he can't do that and make way for somebody who can.

12. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

The problem is we are consistently bad, specially in the 1st quarter and this has been over Schotty's entire career, not just this group of players.

13. The 1985er

So when the offense executes the plays then the oc is doing a good job? But when the offense is flat it's all on the oc?

That's what you're saying?

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I tend not to see Schotty existing in a vacuum, apart from the execution of the players and the rest of the CS. I have different criticisms of him than those who blame him for poor execution or the shortcomings of the players, like his presumed role in certain personnel related gaffs, like not replacing Turner with better OL depth when he went down in the pre-season, or the lack of apparent progress in some other players as well. THis does not mean I agree with the criticisms many have of him, but it does mean I have no great admiration for him. I think he's kind of average on average, if you will. Sometimes the Jets seem to have a good approach on Offense, like the Buffalo game, but other times Schotty is kind of mediocre.

The main point is at this juncture I have no reason to want him to stick around, since I would like to see if in fact a new OC can make a material improvement in the O. I'd like to be proven wrong about that, meaning I don't think that will happen, but it would be nice if it did. Since there's other reasons to think he's worn out his welcome here, I don't "believe" in him in the sense the OP implies.

I just don't think he's the basis for what we don't like about where the Jets are right now.

15. The 1985er

Even in the Pennington, Coles, cothcery, baker, Barlow days the offense wasn't this bad.

16. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

It's the same crap different year. I recall the same time last year and year before the offense had some major struggles and Schotty was on hot seat. Is he ever going to get it right? Seems he is who his track record says he is.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

6 years of mediocrity is supposed to reward you with praise because the offense could score on some piss poor defense?

Ok. Good game? When did Jets offense play a good game against a good defense? Name one! This offense never fared well against good defenses. Even during the win against the Pittsburgh last year, it was the starting kickoff that was returned for 6 that set the tone; the offense as a whole scored but 13 points.

So don't just throw out the hypothetical "Does anyone give schotty credit..." line when he hasn't called anything half mediocre against good defenses.

18. Craig Yeast

Craig Yeast New Member

schott is a horrendous OC who does not understand how to take advantage of his player's strengths..thats your ONE JOB as a coach...he sucks and needs to go..anyone who sees otherwise is either brain dead or related to him

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

junc, that's not true.

The O can play well in SPITE of the play calling.

And there have been a few games where he has called a good game.

(though few and far between)

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I for one do defend Sanchez, but only from those who are asking for him to have gaudy numbers that he wasn't going to attain. As for Schotty, it comes down to the offense as a whole improving, which it hasn't. But one aspect did.

That is the RZ offense.

It's gone from bottom 5 to top 5 in a lockout year with an embattled QB and a worse OL when the new personnel inserted coaching-wise is Tom Moore.

To me, that drastic improvement has to do with the consultant. It's pretty telling. And from what I've learned about consultants in the NFL, it usually means your job is in trouble. I can see Rex being loyal to Schitty this season, but without a new contract and being a bottom third offense, I don't see him returning.

As for blaming Schotty for all of Sanchez's issues - it's wrong, but this is not an OC that is known for maximizing the strengths of his personnel. I hope that the Jets version of John Hufnagel is removed and someone else can insert their philosophy. It's a bottom 3rd offense. Improvement is a little easier than hurting the offense more.