I want to gauge where everyone stands on the real issue, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BadgerOnLSD, Nov 19, 2011.

?

Where do you fall?

1. I still believe in Schottenheimer

5.3%
  2. I gave up on him this year

29.9%
  3. I gave up on him in 2010

31.7%
  4. I gave up on him in 2009

13.7%
  5. I gave up on him in 2008

9.5%
  6. I gave up on him in 2007

9.9%
  1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The choice if many here to focus on Schotty clearly indicates a preference for seeing him as the main problem facing the Jets. I go so far as to assert that there is a sizeable group here who thinks this team would be solidly in the playoff hunt were it not for Schotty. I think that position is a fairy tale. Nice to fantasize about, but bears no relation to reality.

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I think a combination of a regressing O-line, poor running back production, and shottys horrible passing scheme all contribute to the mess that has become our offense this year.

Here's the thing, you can't over haul 11 or even 5 starters in one season easily. The biggest thign we can do to change our fortunes is get Shotty the hell out.

Rebuild the right side of the line through Draft or FA (RT being the key). Add solid blocking TE's not cumberland, not mulligan, Keller does not count here as well. Find a back who runs hard and stays healthy. Powell may be it, Greene is looking more like the next Thomas Jones, a fall down on contact guy not a tackle breaking power back. McKnight is looking ready to take over LT's current role. LT is looking ready to to prepare his canton speech.

If one of the big monster WR's in this years draft falls down to us it would be hard not to take one. OL and OLB are options there as well. I'll continue to say the biggest thing we can do for this team is get rid of shotty though. his O scheme is too vanilla and far too predictable.

3. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Seriously,at the end of the Jesus Tebow game, the Jets handed the ball to MS with less than a minute to go and the CS said - go make something happen kid. Then he throws a fucking laser to Keller for 25 yards down the center. If shit like that doesn't make you think Sanchez is a capable QB, then I don't know what to tell you.

To think MS is the problem and not the playcalling is lunacy.

Yes there are other issues on the team, but with an OC that can have a 3 step drop and fast release on a pass play that bypasses the QB getting drilled every drop back, that would a big improvement in the offense over what is going on now.

#83 fozzi58, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  4. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

I'm going to take a guess at the 4 people saying they still support schottenheimer...

Marty Schottenheimer
    Mrs. marty Schottenheimer
    Fatfuck Francessa
    Bill Belichick

what do i win?

5. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Some of us knew we were coming into the season with an undoubtedly less talented roster than last year and knew nothing less than a huge leap forward by Sanchez would cover that up.
    That position is a fairy tale, because it's a straw man. Look around. Nobody thinks that. If you look at the results of the poll, most people gave up on Schotty before this season.

6. Big Blocker

Unlike many Schotty haters here, I at least give you credit for recognizing that the fact that he reports to Ryan creates an issue of responsiblity, meaning that Ryan is responsible for Schotty on at least some significant level.

I agree with you this does not mean that Ryan is directly the cause for everything Schotty does. I supervise people in my job, and understand I can't be or shouldn't be blamed for unexpected screw ups they might do. But overall, I do think that Ryan either likes the job Schotty is doing or is a pretty lousy supervisor.

Fwiw about the shotgun on third and goal, they're probably hoping with some reason to get the ball to Burress.

7. Big Blocker

BFD the Broncos were in prevent D at that point. How did hte game end?

8. Big Blocker

I don't disagree with anything you said here, and you effectively acknowledge that getting rid of Schotty would only be the start of a makeover. I just think there are some here who think getting rid of him is all that it would take.

9. Big Blocker

It is not a straw man. Look at the Sanchez defenders. They in effect think Schotty is to blame for his shortcomings, for the most part. If that were true, it would also follow that replacing Schotty with someone else would mean Sanchez would dramatically improve. You don't think some here think that?

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. That was to Patrick Turner, not Keller, on a 3rd and 19 situation nonetheless.

2. Like I said in other threads, Jets had same situation twice: at the end of regulation, with about a minute to go, with the ball at around 20 yard line, and with 2 time outs. First it happened at the end of 1st half, and 2nd one came at the end of regulation.

If Brady and Co. were in charge there, what would you think the outcome should have been? With Sanchez and Jets, both drives resulted in flat 0. Of course, 0 coming out of the 1st half drive hurt more - that would have given a lot more cushion later on.

So... what's clear by now is that, Jets two minute offense is extremely bad. It cannot even score 3 with 2 time outs. And where do you think the blame should go to in this situation?

11. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I said this year, because I have not seen the progress in Sanchez that we needed for this team. That falls on both Sanchez and shotty. I am unhappy with both of them but Sanchez may be able to get better if he got a new mentor.

12. Mr3rdDown80

Mr3rdDown80 Member

i remember this when it happened and there hasn't been a play since that has frustrated me more...

this no explanation for this retardedness... get him OUTTT!

13. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

This is an awkward argument because you're pushing me to defend a position that I don't necessarily hold.

The bottom line for me is that I don't think Schottenheimer deserves to be re-signed after this season. I'd like to see Sanchez (and the rest of the offense) under a different OC before making any final judgements.

14. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

Blocker, just curious then, would you vote for option #1 in the poll then?

15. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Someone needs to find more plays like this and gif them into a collection so we can have an entire thread as evidence of Schotty's stupidity.

16. ........

........ Trolls

That gif of 5 3rd down 4 routes makes me physically ill every time.

17. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

What do people think about Norv Turner coming in to coach the offense next year. Between him and Rex we would have solid coaches on both sides of the ball.

18. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Chances are Rex burned that bridge. But if they're able to kiss and make up... I wouldn't hate it.

19. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I think we all agree that our offense sucks and it has held the team back. IMO, that falls on Schotty. He's responsible for everything that happens on offense, from game planning, to play calling, to in-game adjustments, to personnel evaluation. If he believed Sanchez wasn't ready for prime time, he needed to speak up and demand that we have a better backup than Brunnell. If he wanted to stick with Ground and Pound, he should've demanded more help on the OLine once Turner went down.

I fully understand that Rex is ultimately responsible, but it seems to me that he and Schotty have been incompatible from the start. Rex never got to choose his own OC - it was chosen for him. Rex wanted a new identity for this team and Schotty wanted to stick with what worked with Pennington. Rex wants to line up and punish you, while Schotty wants to be cute with misdirection.

Firing Schotty will not cure all of our ills on offense, but it is clearly the first step in a progression. Let Rex hire his own guy and see what happens. If our offense continues to struggle and lose more games under a new OC, then it will be time to look at deeper changes in the coaching staff and personnel, starting with Rex and/or Sanchez.

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Yes, Rex likes a run-first approach. Rex also likes winning. Do you think Rex tells him he wants him to be completely uncreative and stuck in 2001 with his offense? Do you think Rex likes not having plays designed to get his playmakers the ball in space? Do you think Rex likes 5 receivers doing 4 yard curls on 3rd and 5 every time? Do you think likes his OWN PLAYERS complaining about how predictable the offense is?

For som reason I don't think that's the case.. especially since this hasn't JUST been Shittenheimer's M.O. under Rex.. he did the same crap under Mangini. He did it with Chad. He did it with Clemens. He did it with Favre. The offensive scheme and play design absolutely sucks and it is majorly holding back this offense.