No vertical game helping opposing defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Where is the damn vertical game??

Blame it on the Offensive coordinator or Sanchez. The fact that we are not throwing the ball deep with Santonio and Burress on this team is absolutely a joke.

Patriots all day played zone defense in the middle of the field to oversee the typical dink and dunk to LT or Greene.

NBC showed a stat last night where it said the Jets had 29 passes completed last year that were 30+ yards deep from line of scrimmage.

This year it is a goose egg...... Teams like the Patriots will just sit all day with 3 linebackers and wait for Sanchez to beat them with these short passes.

#1 Poeman, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

agreed 100%... and not only not attacking deep, but not attacking outside the hashes. you really just need to cover the short/intermediate area in the middle of the field against us

3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I laughed that we waited until we were down 37-16 to throw a ball 30 yards downfield in the air.

Why do we refuse to throw it deep with Holmes playing against a scrub off the street? No idea.

4. Jagsbch

Jagsbch New Member

Jets inability to establish a deep passing threat, could explain their 24th ranked rushing offenses disposition.

Tebow may have only threw 8 passes, but 6 of those where deep pass plays, plays where the receivers where dropping the balls Tebow threw on Target.

The threat of the deep passing attack, is one of the major reasons why the Broncos have nearly 600 yards on the ground the past 2 weeks.

5. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I am no Schotty apologist, but I think it's hard to say that the Jets didn't try to throw it deep when the OL was having problems protecting for Sanchez. It's hard to throw it deep if you're not getting decent protection. Why we went with empty backfields so often is beyond me. Maybe Schotty was trying to prove that if the Pats can do it so can we. Also, I can't understand why we don't run more (or do more play action) near the goal-line.

6. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

see, thats just it.... if you aare getting pressured, do things that maximize protection, not minimize it. also, its not just deep,... you can exploit poor DB play outside the hashes at the 12-16 yard distance as well. but we dont do that

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

cant argue much with that - but the 30+ yard plays take time to develop and our QB has as much body control as a. maybin after a second or 2.

me thinks some of the hits he has taken in the last couple of years are in his mind too often.

8. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Really missing Braylon Edwards right now.

9. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

All you had to do was look at what we did in Week 1...

If Henne can go for 400 yards................

10. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

i get sick to my stomach everytime the jets empty the backfield, and leave sanchez no protection.

the jets throw 5-20 yards only anyway, so why rush sanchez into throwing that far?

how many times do we see a 5 receiver set, and the opposition blitzing 6+ plus, for a sack, or incompletion?

11. alwaysthejets

alwaysthejets New Member

We should take a shot at Holmes deep, at least TWICE a game. Whether he comes up with the ball or not, almost every time we've taken a shot at him, he's drawn huge PIs and set up touchdowns.

Miami he drew a PI that set up a TD, Buffalo, he drew multiple PIs, set up 2 TDs plus his own, and in SD, same thing. Furthermore, if they could get synched up on that pass, he's usually in a position to catch the ball, if it just wasn't so overthrown.

It makes NO sense that we don't do this every.single.game. when a player like Tone can get the ball or get the PI. We're talking in the range of 42 yard penalties he draws EVERY TIME we do it, because DBs have issues covering him when he starts to sprint down the field, so they have to grab him... COME ON, Schotty!

But, I really wonder if part of this has to do with the fact that the o-line has, in multiple games, played like hot garbage this season.

12. IATA

IATA Trolls

why? so we could not throw it deep to him?

13. Jagsbch

Jagsbch New Member

A deep passing threat allows your QB to act as an exrtra blocker by keeping the safeties honest.

The lack of a deep passing threat is a major source for protection issues given the entire defense is bunched up closer to the line of scrimmage. I have seen this phenomena time and time again, especially while Kyle Orton was the QB for the Broncs. As soon as Tebow stepped in and initiated a deep passing attack, the issues with the o-line virtually disapeared: the current rushing attack seemed to emerged out of thinair.

That is really what it takes, the thin air of a deep passing game to make your offensive line come alive. This is how the QB can be the best blocker on the O-line...

14. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Our O line sucked last night. You can't just throw it down the field 30+ yards if some jag off the street is ontop of your qb 2 seconds into the play.

15. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

I thought with Kerley running quick underneath routes it would open up the vertical passing game more for Holmes and Plax. Sighhhhhh.

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

NBC showed a very telling stat last night. Before last night's game, the Jets threw 4 passes of 30+ yards or more (all incomplete). That's the scheme, not the quarterback.

In my opinion, it's the scheme and the pass protection.

The kid was trying to take some shots down field last night, but he was pressured. It's almost like our offensive line is built to protect on short, quick throws and not for down-the-field throws.

Last night, Sanchez threw excellent deep balls to Kerley and Keller. He can make those throws.

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

This is why it is beyond annoying when there are polls on the home page if we should move on from Sanchez, or questions like "is it too late to suck for luck?"... Sanchez had a pretty good game, drops and protections ruined it for him; combine that with Schotty and Jets fans are in for a long night

The Oline last night couldnt block for shit on pass plays- our pro bowl LT was getting lit up by some scrub. Just complete disorder on the Oline. I thought this problem was fixed but it is evident now that it is not.

Last night was a complete disappointment, and a major setback that Im not sure the Jets can recover from

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

There was a pretty crazy stat they showed last night about teams losing 3 games in a row.

The Niners never lost 3 games in a row from 1980-1999

That is ridiculous.

19. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Can I blame it on the vodka
    Blame it on the henny
    Blame it on the blue top
    Got you feeling dizzy
    Blame it on the a a a a a alcohol

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Joe Montana is the best ever.

There's a reason why Tom Brady is constantly getting compared to Montana. They just don't lose.