Richard Todd, The Bird and Steve Serby

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by steviep, Jan 14, 2009.

1. steviep

steviep Active Member

Did Richard todd "flip the bird to the fans"? Was it after losing to the 'Aints?

Also -- the Richard Todd/Steve Serby incident made Bob Costas' career. Costas and Trumpy were doing the Jets/Colt game. Someone was winning by a lot -- I think the Jets. Costas and Trumpy starting arguing on the air (in what later became Costas' trademark -- lawyer like way -- I like Costas -- I know others dont). Costas took Serby's side and Trumpy, argued that it was justified. They ignored the game for about 10 minutes going back and forth. Broadcasts were very very bland back then -- announce the play -- brief analysis -- and then next play. (Sort of the Red Barber/Marty Glickman way). Announcers did not "second guess" or even first guess, play calls, coaching, players, etc.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I believe Todd flipping the bird was in an OT win at home vs the Rams in 1983, could be wrong. The Saints loss was December 1980, their only win in a 1-15 year.

The NBC broadcast you're talking about was in November 1981 after the Todd/Serby incident, the Jets beat the Colts in Baltimore 41-14 and the second half was mostly the announcers arguing, as the game was a blowout. The Jets also appeared in NBC's no-announcer game in the 1980 finale at the Orange Bowl, an upset of the Dolphins.

Losmeister, JetsKickAss and twown like this.
  3. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

That no announcer game was a pleasure. I'd like them to try it again given enhancements of field mics. At the time, the sound quality was pretty bad.

4. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Dolby 5.1 Surround picks up a great deal more audio of field microphones, fan noise and the PA announcer.

I'd love for there to be a way to eliminate hearing the broadcasters. I usually get annoyed with them talking about everything but the game halfway through the first quarter and watch the rest of the game with the volume turned down.

nycarl likes this.
  5. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Damn man. If you remembered all that off the top of your head I'm seriously impressed!

JetsKickAss likes this.
  6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

a friend of my stepfather was close with richard todd back in the day....i met him several times (i was between 13-15 years old at the time) and he treated me just fine and was good with kids......

though i did hear my SF bitch about him a few times about things not football related.

jil

7. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Thanks. I had a lot less shit on my mind in the early 80s, more time to focus on the Jets. I couldn't tell you about the past few years nearly as well--a sign of age, I think.

8. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

The guy seriously made me prematurely grey, but looking back I feel a great deal of affinity for him. He obviously followed the toughest act possible.
    In about 72/73 --I think it was Todd's first year, my parents were in Vegas and Todd and Joe Willie were together playing craps or 21. My parents got me both of their autographs on the same piece of paper. And Joe made it out to me specifically. Still have it!

NY Jets68 likes this.
  9. Bosko

Bosko Guest

I remember that game as well. I thoroughly enjoyed it and still haven't figured out why everyone afterwards claimed that the game ws destroyed without announcers. Hello?!?! Many of us watch the game without announcers. It's called: "Watching a football game with a lot of people in a bar while getting drunk!"

10. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

If there was some way to toggle the announcers off/on, I'd pay decent money for it.

11. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I remember that game and the argument.....Costas was very raw, Trumpy was a top-flight analyst. I was surprised they went at it.

Yeah, the Jets blew out the Colts....I remember it wasn't close. Curtis Dickey had some good runs, I remember.

12. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Stories about Richard Todd always remind me of his happy feet, and our chants of "Re-Todd" "Re-Todd".

13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Todd gave the middle finger to fans at Shea during the 1983 Rams game. It was caught by CBS cameras and resulted in a fine. The Jets had decided to kneel and run out the clock in regulation to force OT and the fans, upset by the decision, cursed at Todd as he walked back towards the Jets sidelines. There were several fines handed out that day by the NFL. This game was also the Gastineau-Slater fight game where both benches cleared just before halftime following a Gastineau sack dance resulting in a mob scene on the field.........

As far as the 1981 Jets-Colts game goes does anyone else remember Bert Jones being physically restrained by Gastineau from going after one of his own OL after being sacked? I'm sure Jones was dumped several times that afternoon and was obviously frustrated by the Colts 1-8 record at the time....

#13 mrjet80, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
    twown likes this.
  14. mrjet80

Costas was a young man back then...not even 30 yet. I'm pretty sure it was his first year regularly doing Jets games. Yes, very raw but smart very articulate as he is today....

15. mrjet80

Sounds like a nice piece of Jets history.....do you mean it was Todd's first year with the Jets or with Alabama? The Jets drafted him in 1976.....

16. JetsKickAss

I remember that game !

I don't remember that....did Bert Jones play ? I can't recall....

17. JetsKickAss

Todd gets alot of flack, but he wasn't a bad QB. He played great in the 2 games in the 1982 playoffs and got alot of flack for the Mud Bowl.

What was surprising was that when Joe Walton -- who turned Todd's career around --was made HC, his and Todd's relationship went to pot in 1 year. Very surprising -- but alot of guys on both the O and D who liked Walton as OC hated him as HC.

Leon Hess blew it by firing Walt Michaels -- the 1983 team was one of the most disappointing in Jets history.

18. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Sadly, I remember that game very well.

My Dad and I were hoping they would win before getting to the Jets. In fact, the week before, they choked a HUGE lead away against the 49ers. Still beat the Jets 21-20 (I'm almost certain). A true low point in Jets history.

19. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I remember it differently. I believe Todd flipped the fans the bird after the Jets beat the Dolphins at home early in the 1978 season. I remember the 83 win against the Rams and the fans were not upset by the win. There was the Slater-Gastineau incident in that game, but I don't remember anything regarding Todd.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  20. GangGreenKing

GangGreenKing New Member