Week 9- Jets @ Bills Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BK_Jetsfan, Oct 31, 2011.

1. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

i just wonder which jets will show up - will i be screaming at the playcalling and execution in the first half like i usually am or will the jets perform like they are capable of right out the gate. it always seems we have to have a backs against the wall to "play like jets"

2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

sincere question.

Can someone -- preferably a diehard bills guy -- explain to me how the bills turned a borderline semi-pro team into this apparent contender in one off-season?

buffalo's defense last year was woeful, and it seemed like a serious rebuilding year was in order. now they're a juggernaut? how did it come together so quickly, when so many pieces seemed to be missing?

thanks in advance.

3. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Rice, Peterson, McFadden, McCoy, and Foster are all much better RBs.

4. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

You left out Gore, MJD, Forte,Wells and Turner.

5. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

MJD who manages to gain any yards on that team is oustanding, Turner is having a good season as well, and Matt Forte is a monster.

Edit: Sniped lol

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Its due to good QB play, a line that finally looks good, and a general belief that they can actually be a force in this league. Gailey's system is being bought into by the players.

Dareus has helped. For once the injury bug hasn't put 9 starters on the IR. Fred Jackson is having a career year.

Its the typical formula for a team to come from the shitter and play hard.

7. BuffaloPhysco

BuffaloPhysco Member

Got to give Gailey and Nix all the credit. In the 2 years they been here, they have seemingly made all the right moves including some questionable ones at the time like trading Evans for a 4th (who has been injury plagued and hardly played for the Ravens) They have put together 2 great drafts (something we hadn;t done the previous decade, we drafted better players in the 5th then we did in the 1rst). Plus Gailey actually plays to our players strength (I know thats what all coaches do but Gailey does it well) and exploits matchups.

Some of our young players have developed like Andy Levitre, Eric Wood, and Demetrius Bell. We now have the best Offense line in over a decade. That in return has opened up holes and the playmaking of Freddie Jackson. Stevie Johnson has shown he can be a COMPLETE #1 WR unlike Evans who had just been a vertical deep threat for years.

Jury is still out on the defense but Dareus, Kyle Williams, and Byrd who has developed into a run stopping safety as well are all studs. If we can ever get a legit pass rusher and a true 3-4 NT we could have a damn good defense.

8. BuffaloPhysco

BuffaloPhysco Member

A.D, Forte, MJD, Mccoy, Steven Jackson, Gore, Rice, and Arian Foster are the only backs I would take over Freddie right now. So like i said I would have him around 10th.

9. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

You're not going to take one of the best backs in the league in McFadden?

10. foreboding

foreboding Member

I can answer it, mostly. Because some of it is the magic of team chemistry.
    If you watched the Bills last year, it was apparent that this team played hard and never quit. They showed some moments of what they could become last year, despite the record.

Here a few reasons why, in my opinion of why they are looking pretty good.

1. Chan Gailey - This guy is very, very good coach. Never gets out smarted, and has an amazing offensive mind. He also changes what he does every week depending on the opponent and the personnel he has on hand. His players love him and he and Fitz have a great relationship, they mutually respect one another. Plus, he is a class act, hard not to love Chan. Jerry Jones has said it was his biggest mistake as the owner of Dallas, was firing Chan. I now see why. Aikman the other day, during the telecast actually praised Chan for getting all the production he did out of the aging Cowboys.

2. Ryan Fitzpatrick - He can play, pure and simple. He is a leader and he may never be the most talented QB in the league, but he will fight the entire game and he is smart and the team loves this guy. Jim Kelly cannot say enough about him. You will see him directing all the blocking schemes, changing plays, Ryan knows what he is doing. When he screws up it is a physical error, rarely mental. He always throws to the open man. He gets rid of the ball quickly.

3. Freddy and Stevie - They both ball and Fred is playing as well as any back in the NFL in all phases.

4. Some very good but not splashy FA acquisitions and subtractions - Adding guys like Nick Barnett is hard to quantify, but Buddy Nix, a real football guy, evaluates talent, he finds some gems deep in the draft or as UDFA. He was the real talent man for all those players SD stockpiled. Look at the resume of the Bills offensive line (practice squad pickups, UDFA) who are playing out of their minds, despite playing three different LT's this year. Losing Lee Evans, Whitner and Pozluzny helped the Bills believe it or not. We got the young talent in there and they can play.

The never quit attitude this team has is a big part of it. They actually think they can beat anyone no matter the score or how far back they are.

Chan has done an impressive job and knowing we have our QB for the foreseeable future really helps a lot.

#110 foreboding, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  11. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Bills dont scare me like 5-2 team would..

I still cant take em seriously

12. foreboding

foreboding Member

Pats fans said the same thing...

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

it took a Brady meltdown for the Bills to win that game.

Let's not pretend like the Bills played them tough all game only to eek out a win.

14. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

he threw four picks in that game, that happens once a decade

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

literally.

The Bills lost 15 straight to them, and then Brady throws 4 picks and loses by a last minute FG.

16. cooterhooter

cooterhooter Banned

Right...take out the 80 yard rushing td and he didn't have a good game. Agreed, but he did have an 80 yard td run and that alone is a good game. How many Jets fans can honestly say they have a better back or running game now?

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

the Jets' running game has shown life in recent weeks.

Jackson is having a career year.

18. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Totally correct taking out long runs because they appear to be statistical outliers is total horseshit. That isn't how the fucking run game works.

I saw something that said Barry Sanders had the most negative or flat plays out of any RB of that era. Not a single person here wouldn't kill to have him as an Rb of the Jets.

Not comparing Fred to him either but it points out that the best running back I ever saw had a fuck load of negative plays or neutral plays before he broke one. It's nonsense I don't do it with the Jets either even though something like 20% of the yards they have given up vs the run have come on 5 plays.

#118 Miamipuck, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  19. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Bills fans: what went wrong in your two losses?

20. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

This bills improvement didn't start this season. It started in the middle of last year (not long after we blew them out). After they traded Lynch, Fred Jackson played pretty close to the level he's playing at now and so did Ryan Fitzpatrick. They've made some moves that have helped their defense (Nick Barnett, Marcel Dareus) but they're really not THAT much different of a team. They gave a lot of teams a run for their money last year (they should have beaten both Kansas City and Pittsburgh, to name a few). The only difference this year is they're winning those close games. This didn't come out of nowhere.

In fact, remember that high scoring game they had against the pats and almost won? THey just came out on the right side of it this year. This isn't a drastically different team like people make it out to be.

That doesn't change the fact that this team matches up horribly against us. We destroyed them last year twice, and once was when we had a bunch of backups. Fitzpatrick and Jackson were both the focal points of that team that we beat in the last game of the year. And the whole argument that they didn't have anything to play for is completely inane considering WE're the team that really had nothing to play for.

The NFL is all about matchups, this particular team is not one that matches up well against us. We can make this team incredibly one dimensional, and that changes everything.

we win this game by 10 points or more