aaron maybin is our best pass rusher

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetRizing89, Oct 17, 2011.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Isn't hussle, high motor and relentlessness characteristics of a good pass rusher? He's a one dimensional but I think he's good at that one dimension.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Not when your impact plays are because you're getting up off the ground, and then pursuing the QB due to great coverage or he took off or the RB is 6 yards up the field. That means you got beat like a drum, and raced back to make the play. That's his game.

He's hustling to make up for it, so I will not say he totally sucks, but in terms of initial pass rush.... he sucks.

We cannot dismiss his initial loss at the point of attack and call him a good pass rusher. That's lying to ourselves.

He can get better. I hope he does. I hope he's the answer. But right now, he's getting beat with ease and just makes up for it with immense hustle. He hustled his way on this team after he got cut.

He had better balance last game, so let's say he improved in one aspect.

A full offseason will help him.

But right now, going into week 7, he's not a good pass rusher, but a great hustle player who makes up for it on the back end of plays. Good for him getting on a team after being labeled a bust.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

If he can square up and keep his feet, he could definitely contain him by the time they play philly.

Or he can blindside him and concuss him.

I like the latter.

4. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

No one's arguing for sound technique or textbook pass rushing. All that I'm saying is that for a guy that got cut and was expected to do nothing, he's exceeded expectations and then some.

Maybe the way he's doing it is sloppy but he has rushed the passer and has been one of, if not the most effective so far at doing it for the Jets. So what if he falls on his ass and hustles back at the QB, his first step and overall speed helps disrupt the pocket and ultimately can lead to a FF or a sack as he's shown. Shit, he can do cartwheels and cripwalks on his way to the QB all I care about is that he gets there. He's shown that he can. His speed was sorely needed on the Jets LB corps

5. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Oh come on, just one little bite...

[​IMG]

6. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

At first I didn't think Maybin could contribute to this team. Now, I am blowed away at his pure speed, and I mean Wow, I never seen a LB that fast!

Damn he is becoming one of my favorite LBs, and he is doing it without the help of the front DL line, thats what is truly amazing. Most LB need the DTs to keep the OLs off them, and depend on it. He's going around the OLs and making plays all by himself. On one play, he was so far out the picture, it was another LB in pursuit that was close enought to make the play, then WAM, Maybin passed him and made the tackle. Maybins was a good 20 to 15 yards out of the play. I was like WTF?

When I say this guy is fast I mean really,really fast and we have not had a LB that fast as far as I can remember. I am officially on the Maybin bandwagon, and I want to give props to all the posters who saw how good he was, which I am seeing now. I am still in disbelief. He's , I can not say it enough,
    Is SuperFast!

Gotdamn speedy gonzalez.

#86 JETFIGHTERS, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Yeah, he's doing more than anyone expected. That I'm not arguing. But let's remember what the thread title is - the best pass rusher. That's not right. He gets beat every single snap. He gets to the QB due to coverage, not because he's the reason why the OL fails to protect the QB. His first step is to the outside on a speed rush, and the LT guides him away from the pocket. Does he allow someone else to get through that gap? Yes, and that's what I want to see Rex scheme for him. That's what I'm excited about - him letting others make a play, or have others free him to make a play. But he's not beating Tackles 1 on 1. That's my point of emphasis.

If he falls on his ass, he got beat. If he gets back up and makes a play, that's the coverage being awesome and him hustling - I can't give anymore praise for that than I already have.
    hahaha, I've already said I was wrong about wanting him back on the team. I didn't think he'd actually take the ice skates off. I'm happy that he's worked to save his career. He loves this game so much, but no one taught him how to play it at the NFL level with NFL technique. Blame the Bills.

8. SeattleJet

SeattleJet Active Member

I think Maybin will turn into a dangerous pass rusher under Rex's system. Not necessarily right now, but as the season progresses, he will find his groove.

He has already accomplished what Gholston could not. I am cautiously excited about Maybin's potential.

9. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Makes sense, considering the Bills are at the bottom of the league in sacks. 4 sacks in 6 games.

#89 BadgerOnLSD, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

More on Maybin from an opinion I really trust, BGA from TheJetsBlog.com.

That site should be read by all Jets fans on a daily basis:

Bent agrees with me. He doesn't have a first move, but his hustle is just amazing. His pursuit from behind is something every player in the league can learn from.

11. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

A mantra that the Giants still live by to this day.

12. AirGreen20

AirGreen20 New Member

MAYBIN is the man! No doubt about it..

Calvin Pace leads the team in sacks with 3.0 Scott has 2.5 n so does Westerman. Tied for Third is Harris & Maybin each with 2.0. Now in only THREE games maybin has 2 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and 4 tackles (3 solo)

only THREE games!

13. TheGreenCantona

But Harris' sack on Moore should count as 10. And that is the no of qb ribs broken.

14. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Love the fact that he just doesn't quit. That's what happens when you're hungry. And that just goes to show (SOORY, I KNOW BUT...) how much of a true pussy Gholston was. Maybin is out to prove a point, so he's going to do what it takes. Look forward to seeing him get betetr.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

And it blows up Gholston's pussy remarks about a coach never giving him a chance.

Here' a guy who was cut and came back and made the most of his opportunity.

Its nice that the Gholston bullshit didn't cripple this team.

16. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

If maybin ever learns how to beat a block before the qb is forced to scramble he will be a much needed answer to pass rushing issues.

As of now he s a liability on anything but an obvious passing down because he can't hold his ground if he needs to.

Everyone appreciates the hustle but hustle can only get you so far in the NFL if you have no technique.

17. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think you're all missing the point. He's forced 3 fumbles in 3 games! He also has 2 sacks in 3 games. I don't care if they can run on him or if he's small. That one dimension is HUGE!

19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I agree with this post.

20. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

If you combined the strength and forcefulness of Vernon Gholston with the tenacity and effort of Aaron Maybin, you'd have a pretty decent pass rusher.

Then again, if you combined roller skates with a muscle suit and a frontal lobotomy, you'd have my Halloween costume this year: Aanon Gholbin.