Derrick Mason traded to Texans

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PatPatriot, Oct 11, 2011.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

2 catches for him so far today :(

2. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

OMG How are we ever going to replace 2 catches per game! Season over pack it up just forfeit guys.

3. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

31 more and we get a 7th rounder. Let's go, Derrick!

4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I just meant I hope he picks up the pace so we get our 7th round draft pick

5. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Oh haha sorry then. Was just out earlier and kept hearing about how Mason is one of the most consistent receivers and we are crazy for giving him up for nothing.

6. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

31 more catches Derek and we can get Scotty McKnight's brother/Sanchez's pizza delivery boy.

7. IATA

IATA Trolls

Code:
                   REC	YDS	AVG	TD	LG	TGTS
    J. Jones	4	76	19.0	1	32	7
    K. Walter	6	52	8.7	0	20	8
    A. Foster	6	52	8.7	0	16	11
    D. Mason	3	27	9.0	0	12	4

8. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

So the Texans get him for free if Mason doesn't do what he's suppose to?

9. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

yeah but the jets would've cut him if they didn't trade him. don't listen to anything they said. they were cutting him.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Or a guy who intrigued everyone like Greg McElroy.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Right.

Its better than just outright cutting Mason.

If he works out with them, the Jets get a 7th for a FA acquisition. That's a good deal.

If not, then its no different than the Jets acquiring an FA and then cutting him later.

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

An extra 7 is good because we can use that as part of a mandatory Tanny trade up on a late round pick instead of an earlier round.

13. mute

mute Well-Known Member

the media wont let this die. Rex and crew should of just told the truth that someone (Mason) did talk to him about the offense.

14. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

They got him for the $3mil the jets didn't want to give him.

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

So does that mean we are now 11 Mil under the cap now?

16. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

... and there still wasn't room for Braylon Edwards.

:/

17. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Fuck Mason.

BALTIMORE -- The record books will tell you Derrick Mason debuted for the fourth team of his NFL career when he played for the Texans against the Ravens yesterday at M&T Bank Stadium.

Mason will tell you the Texans are his third NFL team.

The Jets?

As far as Mason is concerned, his five-game career with the Jets -- before he was unceremoniously traded to the Texans last week for what amounted to a pack of bubble gum -- is blank space on the back of his football card.

"To me, I went from Baltimore to here [the Texans]," Mason told The Post after the Ravens beat his new team 29-14. "I don't know what you're talking about when you mention that other place, but this place here I'm excited about.

"The two teams that I've played for -- Tennessee (where he spent his first eight seasons) and Baltimore (where he spent the last six) --that's all I care about. They respected what I did as a player -- inside the locker room, on the field and outside the locker room. That's all I care about.

"What went on with that other team . . . it won't tarnish my career, not one bit."

This was the beginning of a series of thinly-veiled shots Mason took at the Jets, who traded him to the Texans for a conditional seventh-round draft choice last Tuesday night, scapegoating him for the team's sluggish 2-3 start and using him to send a locker room message that no player is safe.

Mason has been careful not to lash out at the Jets, committed to keeping his good-guy reputation intact. But there were several pointed references he made about the Jets and Texans that didn't require very strong prescription glasses to read between the lines.

The Jets' public spin on why they traded Mason -- despite being thin at the receiver position even with him -- was all about his lack of production. Privately, team sources said Mason was having trouble learning the offense.

Mason heard that talk and it rankled him, which is why he took delight in the fact that, despite having less than four days to learn the Texans' system, he caught three passes for 27 yards, including an 11-yard third-down catch on Houston's opening drive.

"Listen, I'm a very, very bright young man," he said sarcastically. "I'm very smart. I was here for three or four days and I picked up on a lot of plays and they threw a lot at me."

Mason's repeated high praise of Texans quarterback Matt Schaub clearly indicated he wasn't very high on Mark Sanchez, who when Mason was traded had a very disinterested, lukewarm response -- an indication he wasn't heartbroken to see Mason dealt.

Mason said Schaub throwing to him on the first series "showed that Matt has a lot of confidence in me. I instantly smiled [when he learned about the trade] because this offense scores a lot of points and they have a very good quarterback. That's a wide receiver's best friend when you have a good quarterback."

You might wonder what all the fuss is about over a 37-year-old No. 3 receiver, and that's a fair question. But the way the Jets so cryptically handled the issue publicly added intrigue to the entire episode.

And Mason, after days of stewing about the way he's been portrayed in New York, finally vented yesterday.

"I fell, I got back up, brushed myself off and moved on," he said. "I'm very resilient. I'm in a place where I'm wanted now. I'm happy."

Asked if he felt he wasn't wanted by the Jets, Mason said, "I continued to smile. That's one thing they were not going to take away from me. Even when they did some things that I thought were a little questionable, I still smiled when I went to work."

Now the only question that remains from this saga is: Who'll have the last laugh?

How was this clown ever considered a good guy in the league? Schaub hasn't done crap in December or January.....0 career playoff games. There's your QB Derrick.

You say you forgot all about us when it is Jet fans who could care less that you are gone and that you were a locker room cancer more than a solution.

#377 BakerMaker, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  18. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

it's funny how the NY Media is destroying the Jets for this.

the Jets could of easily came out, and said, "Yeah. We got rid of Mason, because he was an asshole, and screwing the locker room up."

^^^^The Media wants the Jets to take that position for some odd reason. They also are confused as to why the Jets didn't keep him for depth...

Yeah..Who keeps a 37 year old WR, who doesn't play special teams, and is acting like a major jerk off??

19. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Pretty much. The only reason why the Texans even stepped in was to guarantee they'd get him and pick his brain about Baltimore. Didn't help much.

20. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Likewise the Texans stop Mason from going to his 1st team and rival, the Titans who he turned down to join the Jets.

Mason would be the No.2 possibly in TEN given their WR problems with Britt down for the year.