Is Cromartie worth his 4 year $32 million dollar contract?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Sep 12, 2011.

1. 624

624 Banned

We laughed at you for wanting Carlos Rogers over Cromartie, now we are all laughing harder at you for using stats like they mean shit for a cornerback.

Lets see, here's another stat:

Darrelle Revis:
    15 tackles
    1 interception

Vince Wilfork:
    10 tackles
    2 interceptions

According to these statistics and "Darrelle Revis, Human?" logic, Revis is a better run stopper than Vince Wilfork, but Wilfork is twice as good in coverage as Darrelle Revis.

Vince Wilfork, Human?

2. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

Cromartie sucks man

Should've never resigned this baby maker

3. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Flawless victory.

4. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

We have all watched Cro get embarrassed time after time this season, I use the eyeball test to know the guy is overpaid and overprasied for things he has yet to do.

Ok how's this, instead of patroizing me for using the stats that are available at my disposal. Why don't you go get the numbers for the stats that will prove something so we can have a numerical amount to quantify how bad Cro is playing in compairison to a guy getting paid half what he is.

5. 624

624 Banned

You make an entire post focused solely on stats, then claim you use the "eyeball test to know the guy is overpayed", and then ask for more stats?

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Exactly.

There just aren't football stats that mean that much for cornerbacks. Sorry. Give me the times Cromartie was targeted and how many times he was beaten, maybe, but even that is flawed. Still better than using tackles, what is the point of that?

I'm not a huge Cromartie fan, and I definitely think he's overpaid and not that great. I don't think there's that much of a difference between Cro and Rogers, especially not one to pay Cro twice as much, but I'd take Cro over Rogers probably.

#646 Jetfanmack, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  7. LolTolhurst

LolTolhurst Banned

Stats aside, the Rogers argument is not a bad one. He's a solid DB with some play-making ability, and I'd be willing to bet he doesn't get flagged 10 times a game like Cro does.

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Your argument is faulty. Rogers was on a significant downtrend and is on the wrong side of 30. Again your argument or any argument for the matter, should be based on two things market value and worth.

I don't think based on the numbers I have posted earlier in the thread, that anyone can argue logically the Jets "overpaid or overpayed "for Cro. Now that dovetails into the second argument was he worth it?

The way the team looks I would say not. The smarter play wasn't going all in with Nmandi and settling with Cro that is for sure. I can't honestly say at this point what was the best option other than JJ. Meaning right now I don't think this team would be appreciably worse without having had signed a high dollar CB opposite Revis. If the Jets can't stop the run having Deion as the other cover corner would not matter.

Geez without proper context I can make an argument every single player in the entire NFL is overpaid.

#648 Miamipuck, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Cro is known as a holder to the officials, so they look for his infractions.

I'm not blaming the refs, that's their job, and its on Cro for making himself out to be that way.

It'd be one thing if this was his ceiling and this is just who he is, but the fact that he has so much potential and won't use proper technique to be a top 5 corner is a giant pain in the ass for any Jets fan.

10. DarrelleRevis.Human?

I agree that the stats for corners are flawed, and if I knew where to find amount targeted, numer of yards given up, YAC on who Cro is covering, TD's allowed, I would produce them.

I know those numbers would just tell us what we already know. I would also like to know how many penalties he's drawn this year and how many yards it's cost us. I know it cost us the game in Oakland.
    My reasoning all along for not likeing Cro that much is because he's just so undisciplined, both in his technique and on-field demeanor.

11. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

He got away with holding all last year, this year he's being scrutinized. This gets him called for every hold now, even the small stuff (at the point of contact) that more CBs seem to get away with.

12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

Carlos Rogers just made the stop on 4th - 5 with a 1:16 left in the 4th quarter that led to a 37 yard field goal to give the 49er's a 6 point lead.

13. 624

624 Banned

Well that settles this debate.

14. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

exactly. I mean the fact that Rogers interfered with the receiver is simply irrelevant since the flag didnt come out that time.

15. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

flawless victory, fatality

16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Rogers has bricks for hands. I wish there was a stat on dropped INTs. I'd bet Rogers and Ike Taylor would be at the top of that list. To their credit those dropped INTs are also pass defensed. I like the fact the Cro will get those INTs and there's always the chance of pick 6s.

17. IATA

IATA Trolls

WHAT AN AWFUL PERFORMANCE BY CROMARTIE TODAY. JEsSUS

18. DarrelleRevis.Human?

Just a bit of information that doesn't show up in NFL profile stats, seems pretty relevant to his performance.
    So you found them other stats yet?

Yeah Carlos sure does have bricks for hands they've always been like that too. But I'm not on board with your philosophy that you would rather have a guy that gives up big plays constantly just be cause he has soft hands and can get picks, as opposed to a guy with worse hands but is very dicipline and minimizes big gains.

19. Petey

Petey Active Member

SERIOUSLY. It's like he didn't even show up to play.

20. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I wish I could use this entire post as a sig. Mods should change Mayo Gate's user name to Vince Wilfork, Human?