Can Jeremy Kerley be our Wes Welker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by thirtyoddfreestyle, Oct 12, 2011.

1. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

rex is all but polishing his cheeks in his press conference. Im thinking with his size and skillset (especially what ive seen in the return game) could he possibly play in the slot like welker and be a scrappy tackle breaker to kill the YAC for sanchez since he checks down almost 70% of the time

2. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

P.S I miss Braylon ... no one has dougied all season in NY

3. IATA

IATA Trolls

Kerley can be our Kerley.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I guess Kerley could be like a white Wes Welker

5. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Can Kerley be an effective slot receiver/returner? Sure, why not.

Can Kerley be a top 5 receiver in the entire league? I don't see it.

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Can Kerley play a few games and be Kerley first? Welker was a nobody for a few years, not sure I want him copying Welker there. Besides can Kerley be a short scrappy white guy? He is going to have to see Michael Jacksons docs first.

7. 624

624 Banned

Kerley could be our white Derrick Mason

8. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

He's a rookie and needs to be development and will improve over time.

Having said that, if he doesn't get 100 yards and score 2 TD's next week he will be dead to me.

9. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

Kerley could be our Eric Smith

10. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

I thought eric smith was our black wes welker?

11. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

Part of the way reason Welker is...well Welker is because of the offensive system he plays in.

Not too turn this into another Schotty shitfest thread but Welker is so deadly because of how the Pats use him. They set picks on defenders just for Wes and that New England offense is predicated on short, quick passes that set up big YAC for Welker.

If Welker was on another team, especially on this offense we just don't run the type of system where Welker or a Welker like receiver such as Kerley would be able to be a real legitamate game changing threat. There are only a select few in the NFL that run offensive schemes that take advantage of a skill set such as Wes Welkers.

Just like Woodhead, the situation is the same. It's all about our offensive system we run vs New Englands.

Kerley may very well have the ability to be a real game changing slot receiver but he will never get used that way in this system. It's just not our style. Sure we all expect J-Kerl to make some plays but it will never be anything like the effectivness Welker produces for the Patsies.

This is also the very reason why "Joe McKnight isn't our Darren Sproles"

#11 AJayJay, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  12. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

A small, tough and gritty black guy? Haha, yeah, good one.

13. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Small : check
    Scrappy : check
    Tough : check
    Special Teams : check
    White : check

14. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Can Wes Welker be New England's Jeremy Kerley?

15. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

He can be, but I doubt he'll get used appropriately so who knows at this point. I think he has upside though, and with that I am excited to have him starting in the slot.

16. patfanken

patfanken Banned

You make it seem like Welker is just a nice average player who gets a lot of short catches because he plays with Tom Brady. This is the myth, but its not close to the reality. The Pats went after him, after BB decided it was better to have him on his team than try and defend him. He was good in a bad offense BEFORE he got to the Pats, and since then the only time he had under 100 catches was the 80+ he go 6 months AFTER he had major ACL/MCL surgery.

He no player has more catches of 20+ yds. or TDs He is averaging close to 17 ypc. There isn't a route that he can't run from 1-9 Believe me if the Jets had Wes Welker, he'd be your best WR PERIOD in whatever offense you ran.

Its kid of ironic that when Welker and Moss first came to the Pats it was common wisdom that Moss was the reason Welker got open and got so many catches. Now it looks like Moss was cramping Wes's style, and now that he's gone, Welker has taken his game up a notch.

BTW- FYI- since the Jets supposedly have all that cap space, they might think about making a run a Welker who will be a FA after this season

As for Kerley, he could very well be the next Wes Welker. However it will take 3 or 4 years of development to find out.

#16 patfanken, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

With all due respect, please. Cut this crap already.

You cannot deny that he fits Patriots offense system very well (which reminds me a lot of the WCO at the heyday). As many teams these days run some form of WCO, he will find his place no matter where he goes - just he may not be as successful as he is in NE.

To assume he will be as successful here in NY is just asinine. That can't be further from the truth. It's a good thing that he is not playing here in NY - he will fail miserably. I have clarified this issue for a while now - combination of the conventional ground attack and WCO style of passing attack is a disaster. We all have seen what kind of disaster it could possibly be in the form of Football Horror Show that is Jets offense. It has never performed better than top 15th in the league under Schottenheimer's watch. Schottenheimer just does not know how to utilize the zone underneath. He does not force the defense to clear out, quite unlike Patriots Offense. It's not even like he forces the defense to respect the deep ball either - Sanchez doesn't throw anything beyond 20 yard. Go figure.

18. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

No, Kerley can not be our Wes Welker. He's not white.

19. 316ROW13Seat20

316ROW13Seat20 New Member

Kerley is going to be a slot receiver but not the same as Wes welker.

20. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Yes, guys, Wes Welker is white. So are Eric Smith and Jeremy Kerley. Ha Ha Ha. Maybe if you keep repeating it over and over again, it will become fresh and funny.

Next person who does a 1-line joke about someone being white in this thread is getting a banning.