Derrick Mason traded to Texans

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PatPatriot, Oct 11, 2011.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

You're a borderline troll, who's time will come.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

After reading Tanny's comments, it seems that Kerley just plain outperformed Mason.

Granted, I do think that Mason's comments to the media had the Jets thinking about getting rid of him to send a message and keep the ranks from dissenting, but once kerley showed he has playmaking ability Mason was as good as gone.

3. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

ive heard pats fans say the jets will be in cap hell for 4 years. it hasnt happened yet, and i doubt it will happen.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Agreed. Tanny is a master at the cap and I don't think he'll ever put this team in a position where they can't make a big move because of salary issues.

He has to learn not to bank on quick fixes thinking that the team is going to improve.

Hunter, Plax, and Cro are looking like bad investments right now. I think Cro is the only one that can really turn it around. The others aren't going to get much better.

5. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Michael Floyd is 6'3 and can probably get in the 4.5-4.6 range in speed.

Oh and he isn't a diva who whines when he doesn't get the ball whenever Rees/Crist can't get it to him. The Braylon of the draft passed us by....and his name was Johnathan Baldwin.

If the Jets get Blackmon, Floyd or Jeffrey we have to be going absolutely crazy in joy. I understand OLB and RT are big needs(I don't wanna hear anyone taking a guard in the top 20 picks, there are some people who want DeCastro to the Jets in round 1) but Sanchez needs a WR who can get separation. Sanchez has to hold onto the ball because his targets do not get open, not because he can't make reads or because "HE SUCKS!". Its about time you give the man a legit weapon for years rather than these 1-2 year bandages. We said the same thing post Favre that the Jets CANNOT keep using quick fix bandages to fix the QB position......now its about time we grab ourselves a legit go to guy(Keller just isn't going to be that IMO He's not Gates/Gonzalez.)

Jets haven't taken a WR in the 1st since Santana Moss in 2001....10 years.

#305 BakerMaker, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  6. JetsFan56

JetsFan56 New Member

#Jets sign DT Martin Tevaseu, aka MTV, from the practice squad to the 53-man.

7. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

They are just clearing a roster spot for the big Hillis trade.

8. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Riiiiiiight, because that's what they would have produced had they stayed on the Jets. If you don't see how losing Braylon hurt this team then you're clueless.
    Santana Moss still returned punts when he was a starter.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

Ive watched some of floyd and what ive seen is that he catches everything near him, but he seems like he doesnt have that separation speed. Truthfully, not exactly the vertical threat we need right now... But I wouldbe by no means upset if we ended up with him

10. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

To the Pats fan-

1. Sanchez cap number will be down nearly $10 mill by 2013
    2. The cap will be going up obviously
    3. We're close to $10 mill under right now and a percentage of that gets carried over. (I believe)

I do agree we have escalating contracts on some big names but there are also a few that go down, I'm sure some cuts will be coming in years to come too. On many of these contracts they're incentive based as well. Players like Pace and Scott who are aging will restructure or be done.

11. BakerMaker

He is set up on short outside passes near the sidelines as that's where teams cannot double team him and because he's such a menace to try and take down 1 on 1. He has good speed but he's not Desean Jackson or what not. He's not going to burn you but he will convert 1st down markers by mauling corners. After Floyd dominated Michigan St, Michigan and South Florida, teams are now just ganging up on him every single play down the middle or going past 10 yards(Pittsburgh game really brings this point home) where other ND targets are flourishing.

Under Schitty, Floyd could be a weapon as he can just stay on short yards and its going to be tough for corners to take him on 1 on 1. But I think if we pick 15-20, Schottenheimer will be gone so it'll be a moot point.

#311 BakerMaker, Oct 12, 2011
  12. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Since Moss, Jets haven't drafted a WR in the first THREE rounds since 2001. They only drafted Cotch in the first 4 rounds in the last 10 years (plus Brad Smith who was a QB at college). Jets don't draft WRs early on, but then again its been so long, the law of averages say they are much more likely to draft one each year.

13. BakerMaker

Good catch....means even more to address this position early in the draft.

14. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

good thing is Plax is 1 year, and we all know Cro can play ALOT better. Hunter not so much $$, but not the best moves Tanny has made.

15. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

I guess I am naive as I expected a more forthright policy with Rex and his regime. There is no way that Kerley is at Mason's level and unless Mason was totally unrepentant for his behavior in front of management I find the trade (and the sack of nonsense spin by Tanny) difficult to justify and as having the potential of doing more harm than good.

A 7th round pick is a bad deal unless there are conditional provisions in the deal to move up depending on Mason's production in Texas this season.

Also to be considered is what will be the blow back if Mason puts up excellent numbers with the Texans which is entirely possible. I feel pretty certain that Kerley's numbers this year will be nowhere near close to what Mason will end up with in Texas. If or when this happens, the FO's credibility will be negatively impacted just because of their unwillingness to be more truthful about their reason(s) for trading Mason.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Mason had two things that were an issue:

His hated being away from his kids. This is an issue at 37 and when your career is essentially over. A guy like Mason has the right to do what best for his family.

The other is that he wasn't fitting in well with the offense. Kerley has. It made him expendable.

17. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Like I said, no big deal (to me at least), that Mason is gone. He would have been great depth if he contributed, but it seems that his heart/mind wasn't with the Jets on a daily basis.

18. Altoona

That's just how the Giants often used to utilize Burress (albeit on long routes as well) simply because he was physically so much bigger and stronger than any DB covering him. Burress has never been blindingly fast ( I think he ran a 4.6 40 coming into the draft) but even having lost a step or two due to the accumulative impact of age and injuries does not equally diminish his continuing strengths which are his hands, size, strength, body control and the ability use the aforementioned attributes to create sufficient enough separation when none would appear to exist because he has one or two DBs draped all over him.

I would like us to draft of burner with decent size next year if we can.

19. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Mason wasnt getting the separation, Kerley at this point is better imo. After 10 yards Mason was blanketed. Kerley has the quickness and speed to be a factor. He has the best elusiveness on the team besides maybe Holmes, and Mcknight.

I think this is a win win for everybody including Mason and the Texans. Sanchez can now build with Kerley which is vital for a young qb and wr. The Jets may not need to spend crazy $ if Kerley is the real deal , which imo he is.

Lets focus on protecting Sanchez and getting more than 3 yards a carry (offensive line)!

#319 azhar80, Oct 12, 2011
  20. Altoona

I certainly can't argue with your first point. As far as the latter point (above) is concerned, on what do you base your opinion that Kerley has been fitting in with the offense better than Mason did?