Derrick Mason traded to Texans

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PatPatriot, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We have no money problems at all. We have 2 FAs next year that they might try to bring back, Leonhard and Pouha, that's it. Plax is gone for starters so that's another 3 mil and then don't be surprised to see the team blown up if we miss the playoffs this year and rightfully so.

2. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Look, I think a lot of this “sending a message” talk is overblown. Mason was unhappy and unproductive, yes, and that was a big reason for his trade. However, I think a lot of this talk of a WR mutiny and rumors of all the WR’s being unhappy is overblown. That’s my opinion. I’m basing this on the fact that after last year, Holmes said he wanted to be a Jet for the rest of his career. He knew what he would be getting into. If he detested the system so much, he would have looked elsewhere to sign. I don’t buy that Holmes is leading a mutiny, but I do believe that Mason (an aging veteran who is probably stuck in his ways) would have a big problem adjusting to a new system late in his career, and I don’t doubt that he bitched about it. Now that he’s gone, we can focus on Jet football.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Strangely enough, it really wouldn't bother me to see them do something like retooling this team. We really did miss our window last year for a SB with the present talent as we're a year older and evidently, a year slower and weaker too.

What I don't want to see is Tanny going on another trading spree using whatever valuable dp's we might have left. If he does something stupid like trading a 2nd or some combo of a high and low dp for a "name" just for the star power, I'm gonna officially join the TannyHaters club. His last few drafts haven't been great but that's no reason to keep trading away picks.

4. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

We have 115 million in commitments next year with zero money allocated to Plax/Leonhard/Pouha/Bryan Thomas/Tomlinson/Turner/O'Connell/Brunell/Folk
    Pool/Strickland/Cole/Westerman/Turner/Maybin/the draft picks. I'm sure Tanny will make it work but it's going to be a very top heavy team and it's going to be very hard to get new, high quality free agents.

Also, how would you blow this team up? Cutting pretty much any of the decent players will have fairly negative cap ramifications--that's the downside of all the deals they made this year that were so friendly for this year's cap.

5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Let's just tell Woody we won't go to the games anymore and he will do something about it. Instead this online petition Tanny to fire Schotty BS.

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

As was I but I don't think it's his blocking we are missing. Plax has done a terrific job with down field blocking. Braylon was a deep threat that we just do not have right now. HOpefully with Kerley getting more PT he can be a deep threat, but even so, we are still missing Braylon's presence in the offense. It was a huge mistake letting him go especially when we could have gotten him back.

7. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

I'm confused as to what you are saying here? I know the contracts are backloaded but it seems crazy that we can lose 24 mil in contracts (estimating) an still increase out salary by 4 million. You are also forgetting that we can add money to the salary cap next year because of the money we saved this year.

Leonhard and Pouha can be resigned for cheap considering they are starters
    Plax will be replaced in the draft or resigned for 3-4 mil.
    Thomas will be replaced in the draft which takes 3.2 off our books.
    Tomlinson only saves us 1.2 mil, but we aren't going to sign anyone to take his place so its just adding 1.2mil to the amount we can spend.

The rest of the players will either be resigned for minimum contracts or replaced with similar talent free agents. Tanny doesn't have much work to do this offseason.

That being said I am extremely scared at the thought of LT leaving. Sanchez sucks at his check down swing passes and without the sure hands of LT that might leave us fucked.

#247 inSANITy, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  8. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

How late in the season can we restructure contracts to take some of next year's hits against this year's cap space? It seems a bit daft to leave $8-10M of space open this season if we're not going to sign anyone else; it would seem to make more sense to get some of next year's money paid now and free up cap room for next season. I can't imagine anyone's going to be upset at getting paid early.

9. patfanken

patfanken Banned

I think what a lot of Jet fans are missing is that in order to create space for THIS year, Tanny deferred structured deals so that money was deferred to the next year. You are paying Holmes 10MM/yr, but he counted only 2MM this year. That so as Holmes cap numbers go up in year 2, that 8MM hit also will show up eventually.

Tanny has played the "I'm going all in" for the last 3 seasons. I think he's done a good job in avoiding paying the bill so far, but it hurt the Jets a little this year. But enough so he had to let some of his people go. But its going to hurt even more each of the next 2 years. And the only relief in sight will be if the NFL sign their next TV deal and the cap gets a big bump. I think that's in 2014

Its not that I think the Jets are deep in cap hell, but they aren't in as good a shape as their competitors, especially Buffalo, and to a lesser degree the Pats

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

The Jets caught a bunch of relief this offseason by cutting several players before the lockout. Their cap situation is not as bad as you would like to make it out to be.

11. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Seems like they're seeing what Kerley can do and figured why bother with Mason if he can't figure out the offense at 37 years old. We got a draft pick for him, good. I don't think this he was the X-factor to us winning or not winning the Super Bowl so fuck it.

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Jeremy Kerley is not a deep threat. He'll do his damage across the middle. That will be his job for quite some time.

The Jets need a true vertical threat opposite Holmes. Good thing for us is that 2012's WR draft class is stacked.

13. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I'm not sure when you have to do an extension to have it count against 2011 but it is pretty easy to save the cap space for future years. The extra space this year will definitely help in the future-I expect extensions from a few of the group of Leonard/Pouha/Moore/Sanchez.

Remember though, they will still probably use another 1-3 million dollars in midseason transactions.

14. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Hell yeah. That's what I'm saying. We need to draft a WR early and stop with these short-term rentals.

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Derrick Mason was the wrong leader for this team...We must get TO.

Relax, I only kid.

16. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I think Holmes and Plax can both get deep, the trick is keeping Sanchez upright long enough for that kind of play to develop.

17. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Mike, you're right. the Jets caught a #10MM break when an obscure section of the new CBA was slipped in. A section that JUST so happened to make the cut off date for saving "dead money" just what the Jets needed to save that $10MM. It must be nice to have an inside man in the commissioner's office..

If that hadn't happened, the carnage would have been even worse. But my point still stands. While the Jets are in decent shape THIS season, Those deals that Tanny restructured are the reason WHY. Payment is eventually going to come due. You have an $8MM time bomb in Holmes contract, and that's just in the first year. Next year will be the the time to extend Sanchez BEFORE he goes into his contract year. That isn't going to be cheap

Like I said, I don't believe the Jets are in cap hell....yet. But I do think you are not as good shape as your nearest competitors. The Bills are in Great Shape. The Pats will be in decent shape, (enough to grab one of the top 2 FA Safeties if I had my druthers). Miami - I have no clue. The point is that Tanny likes to back load contracts to create room. Eventually it catches up to you

#257 patfanken, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  18. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Is this not Plaxico Burress' bread and butter? I don't understand the point of having that giraffe of a receiver when he never gets tossed a deep ball. With the way they're tossing flags for illegal contact/PI Sanchez should toss a 30 yard out to Plax at least twice a game. He may not be the fastest guy on the field but at his height/wingspan you don't really need to be.

19. GrindHouse

GrindHouse Member

+1, this is yet another reason why Schotty must go.

20. patfanken

patfanken Banned

You make a good point, Rocky. It makes some sense, given his size and the way flags are throw. (plus Plex is a master of the push off). Still Plex's best usage will be in the red zone. The problem is, for this offense, is getting INTO the red zone