Latest Namath Rant

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

He's allowed to comment on the team just like how Cris Carter, Steve Young, Rodney Harrison, Keyshawn Johnson, Marty Lyons, Ray Lucas, Joe Klecko, and many, many others are allowed to comment on the team. I don't understand why some Jets fans are up in arms about this.

2. magic77

magic77 New Member

^He is entitled like everyone else is. It's just been 30 years and now we start hearing him rip into people. I don't get why all of a sudden he is

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

He's Namath. Someone stuck a microphone in his face so he's going to talk. If he wants to rant and complain that's fine. Commentators do it on TV all the time and I even hear that there is some type of internet community that allows people to do basically the same thing.

He's not a part of the team anymore aside from it's history so it's really no different than what we've been doing here.

However, if he thinks his uninvited, public criticisms are going to be met with applause and thank you then he's kidding himself.

4. CatoTheElder

Maybe people are asking him more. Maybe he's making himself more available for questions. Who gives a shit?

5. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

That's because, like us, he has high hopes for this team. It's been awhile since any of us have witnessed the Jets in such a level as they have achieved so far. We're close to winning a championship now and it would be a shame if we took a step back this year.

6. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

7. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

i think Rex,, and rex letting players take shots at namath is a BIG mistake....the more Jets lose , the more vocal Namath WILL get.....and the more loyal fans will side with our #1 icon.....it could cost Rex big as he is basically going to dissociate himself from fanbase.....i do not believe Jets win but 7-8 games this year ...this gonna spiral watch

8. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

What are you talking about?

9. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

10. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

BIG mistake ,,Rex , Slauson and the whole f*kin team better STFU,,,and thank Joe for his
    excellent observations

11. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Namath is like a dried up piece of shit. Doesn't have the ego to just flush himself.

12. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

Because people are interviewing him? What the hell do you expect him to say?

"THE GUYS ARE LOOKIN' GREAT OUT THERE, THE LINE IS UNPENETRABLE. THEY'RE THE ODDS ON FAVORITE SUPER BOWL WINNERS IN MY BOOK."

If he said that, everyone would consider him a crazy old coot. What he said was perfectly within reason and he even went on to say that the season is still young and they could correct the faults.

13. CatoTheElder

He's a fan that the media actually wants to hear at this point. He has every right for saying it and Slauson had the right response.

14. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

At least Namath cares. That's the sign of a true fan, if you ask me.

15. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

For some bizarre reason there are apparently fans on here who choose to massively overreact to reasonable and legit comments and instead think Namath should just make up a bunch of bs about how wonderful the team looks. I have no idea what the heck matt slauson thinks he is doing but Rex needs to muzzle on that goofball and tell him to focus on the blocking sled.

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I disagree that they should admit Vladimir Ducasse is a bust publicly. What good will that do?

17. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Agree with this. Slauson could have shown more respect, but they can't care what Namath thinks. Sanchez has great answers with that about how they respect him.

Then again, if you're asked every week about what Namath said, it will get old. This is where the New York media is crazy.

Namath is a fan of the team, not really an analyst. But since he's Joe Namath, ESPN wants to speak with him, and it probably gives Joe something to do in life and feel relevant and talk to Jets fans. I don't think he's said anything outlandish.

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

That's the one part I disagree with Namath on. Maybe they shouldn't have put him in, but maybe they thought his size could help out against Baltimore. If that's why they tried him out, then I'm okay with it. If it's because of the snaps, I think that's largely on Sanchez.

But every team misses on draft picks. The Jets should have been more proactive at getting depth, seeing how bad it looks now. 2 injuries in 4 weeks haven't helped, but this line has looked bad from week 1 and only gotten worse once Mangold got hurt.

19. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Namath knows the team is (was) relevant for the first time in a LONG time and now that he's sober Joe he can make some insightful comments that people consider. Yes we all miss drunk Joe (btw.. I saw Suzy Kolber on tv last week and she's not aging well).

Yes he's a fan and good thing, he's saying things we are all thinking. How often do people bitch one here and it falls on deaf ears or just the ears of other fans? When he talks the team KNOWS what he's saying, he's echoing a lot of what the fans thinks and its making its way to the staff and players.

As fans we can't ask for more, they're being held accountable by a fan and a legend.

He may not be right with everything but he's damn close on many things he's said.

He's caused players and coaches to respond. They may not like it but its good to know they have to, they can't just ignore screw ups to the fan base because there is a voice that echos across the media to us and them.

Vlad IS a bust. Most of us know it, some still defend his run blocking but that's becoming a weaker and weaker argument as the days pass.

Let him say what he wants, its good to have a f'ing gnat in Rex's ear letting him know he has to take responsibility.

20. IWillPeeGreen

IWillPeeGreen Member

Obviously Joe Namath is irrelevant to current players and fans, like Al Davis sorta is. But Matt Slauson made a big mistake here, you just have to take the criticism without hostility. Players make it harder for themselves when they react like that. Brandon Marshall ripped Mike Mayock and Sterling Sharpe for not being HOF players, looks like a damn moron in the process.

The criticism is valid and pretty much what everyones been thinking. Joe Namath probably comments about the Jets all the time, it just makes headlines when they're losing.