Sanchez Interceptions: Man or Zone?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rohirrim665, Sep 30, 2011.

1. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Im not sure that this has been posted before and I couldn't really find anything on it. Has anyone taken notice over his career, more so in the last two years than in his rookie year, what defense Sanchez throws the most picks against?

Last week had me thinking, because we were guessing Oaklands defense all wrong, and while Sanchez didn't throw any picks when they started switching up, It had me wondering which type of defense he struggles against more. His rookie year might be less indicative of that because it seems like it was less of a type of defense issue rather than just getting acclimated to the game, though it could still be telling.

Not sure what it could do for us, but it would be an interesting observation, and maybe it is obvious already but its something I haven't taken notice to yet. I wish there was some kind of stat for this, if I ever get time Ill try and rewatch a couple of games I have taped.

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

It's Zone, but it really doesn't matter right now.

With no blocking, no reliable run game, Mark is playing well. Is being hurried too much and being forced to make throws earlier then anticipated.

3. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Its Richard Todd all over again behind that line.... if the CS are not careful they will ruin him this year as already he is bailing as he knows the hit is coming.

4. rohirrim665

I know the O-line is the issue right now but in the grand scheme of things, as I suspected the problem is zone, at least according to madbacker. I felt this way too, but I think it also might be a mixed coverage, because sometimes he seems to throw into a one-on-one situation where a zone saftey will drop down and its essentially a double coverage situation. I remember this a lot in his rookie year, particularly the game at New England, but every once in a while he does it now too. I might have the Jacksonsville game taped, Im going to watch because that might have been a similar incident. Im sure the coaching staff is well aware of all of this, Im just trying to exercise my limited football knowledge here.

Once again, Im aware that the offensive line is the current issue, but im just trying to get a sense for what Sanchez's weak spots are.

5. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

the vast majority of his picks are when the other team disguises zone. If you watch, other than staring down his intended target, most of MS's int's are misreads. In my opinion a lot of his picks come when the WR's or TE's are man up with the respective defender and then the throw is picked off by an underneath defender. Of the 4 picks this year I think 3 were disguised zones or a misread of zone by Sanchez and the underneath player made the play.

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Typically, INTs come from zone coverage. Unless you are throwing against Revis (which is stupid) that's how you throw INTs. DBs in man-to-man coverage can't watch the ball and the WR at the same time. They cue in the adjustments WRs make to disrupt the pass when the ball arrives.

In zone coverages, the defenders are following the eye direction of the QB, while keeping an eye on the receiver nearby. That's different from playing man to man, staying glued to your receiver.

7. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

2 were timing/chemistry issues, Mark expected them to be in one place or they turned the wrong way.

I hate how our receivers don't attack the ball though on the INTs, our receivers are sitting there waiting for it to come to them while the defender makes the grab.

8. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Listen to the blue butt plug. The blue butt plug is 100% correct here.

James calvin thanks the blue butt plug for this post.

9. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

he obviously modeled his game after me in madden....

fuckin zone always get me

10. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

When the defense is playing 'Schotty'

It's one of the best defenses for an opposing QB

11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Yep. Good post. That's why more big plays come out of zone defenses...but at the same time, top QBs will find weaknesses in zones, especially against zone blitzes when you can't cover all of the field. That's when you get throws to wide open areas most often.

12. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Mark deserves alot of credit for what hes doing. Our run game has been horrible, our Oline isnt helping at all, yet through all of this we got the #10 passing offense and he has 7 TD in 3 games.

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^+1

14. SuperNova

SuperNova New Member

It also lends itself to the number of teams that play predominantly Zone coverages vs Man coverages. Though I would like to see Sanchez better recognize coverages for teams that run consistent packages (like how Tampa Bay runs mostly Zone, Ravens' man coverage, etc.)

I think that's what made Sanchez's picks so frustrating in the Jags game: the first, to Middleton, was Sanchez trying to split a CB and safety coming over the top, and underthrew it. The second was Mathis leaving his man for another WR also in his zone. It's basic stuff that he should've kept in mind.

I didn't get a chance to see the Raiders game and couldn't DVR it; did the Raiders run mostly man or zone, or did they switch up coverages?

15. rohirrim665

They started off in man but after a couple injuries switched to predominantly zone. Sanchez threw his pick against man coverage (I believe) but it was more just poor judgement when he should have thrown the ball away. Phil Simms mentioned that late in the game the Jets were "guessing wrong" when it came to the Raiders defense, so I guess they were switching it up even late, and either Schotty or Sanchez or both was just not seeing it.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Guessing wrong as in running when the Raiders were in a run defense and passing when they were in a pass defense? That would sound like the Raiders knew what was coming.

17. rohirrim665

They did, and I am not a schotty hater, but I have to say that bodes ill with the OC.

18. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Looks like MiamiPLUG is green now. How appropriate for game day....

19. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

NOT man...NOT zone....It's simply reckless throws that are the culprit! Stop making BAD decisions, Mark!! Those picks are giving me a butt rupture!!

#19 Al Dorow, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  20. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

What the he'll is butt rupture?

How is it not man or zone? What is it than?