vlad 'the turnstyle' ducasse

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyJETS0511, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Much like we can go through pretty much ever single one of your posts for a mistake or something factually incorrect, we can go through every single NFL GM's resume and find a draft pick they made, that sucked. It is a fact, 50% of 1st round draft picks bust and it only gets worse from there.

Up until the 2010 (the jury is still out on this draft, I know) draft, the only upper round picks that MT made that were awful, no 2 ways about it, was Gholston and if you want to count the boar hunter and KC as busts in 06', hey go for it, even though 3rd rounders are much worse than a coin flip and KC was a back up for quite awhile. That is a hell of a resume in 6 years as a GM.

So surely even a person with your puny intellect should be able to understand why Jets fans hold him in high regard.

2. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Don proves yet again why he is always my vote for most ignorant poster.

Tannebaum is one of the top 5 GM in the NFL.

3. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

First round picks are much better than that; about 75% end up being pretty good. But your overall point is fair; with a second round pick it's about fifty/fifty as to whether you get a player.

4. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Hey I thought it was lower............but if I am wrong I am wrong on the percentage.

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Let's just pray we don't have to see Ducasse play any meaningful snaps this year, except as an extra blocking tight end in jumbo packages.

He has a ton of potential, but he could really submarine the team's chances to win THIS year if he has to be out there for any extended period.

6. maynardsmyhero-uk

we have drafted revis, harris, mangold, ferguson, smith b , smith e , washington, slauson, mangold, sanchez, pouha , keller ...anyone who complains about our drafts and our GM is fucking clueless....

7. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Yea he is not ready to start this year and if he does he will get Mark killed but he is a force in the run game. Guy has a lot of strength and gets a nice push he just has trouble with any pass rusher with a decent move.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Haha..really hit a nerve there, huh?

9. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Don says hello..............the knock on Tanny, is there isn't enough of them. Meaning they should be making more than 4-5 picks a year. That is a much more valid criticism.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

With you too.....

11. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

No actually, you really didn't. Quite the opposite, I think your ignorance is among the funniest things we see on a day to day basis @ TGG.

12. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I don't know, maybe drafting Revis, Harris, Mangold, D'Brick, Keller, and trading for Santonio, Cromartie, Braylon, Jenks, and picking up Burress, Woody, Pace, and Bart Scott made him feel that way?

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

There are recent picks we know sucked, if by that is meant a standard where they fell well below what one should reasonably expect from where they were picked in the draft. Gholston, Schlegel clearly fit that description. I think even if Vlad ends up sticking he is awfully close to this standard.

Clemens I would say was not a bust per se because he was the backup Qb for a few years. But he did underperform to expectations for a second round pick.

Don't forget the jury is still out on Wilson, too. I am more optimistic about him now than last year, but he was the first round pick, and imo he's nowhere near starter quality right now.

Even Sanchez deserves some consideration here. Is he where the fifth overall pick in the draft should be as he commences his third year in the league? Arguably somewhere short of that.

Tanny has done some great things bringing FA's in. I even give him credit for the Favre move since at the very least that allowed the team to move on from Chadwick. He's recently done excellent work getting the team's core players re-signed up, although the Revis situation was somewhat ambiguous.

But while he rightly deserves to be considered a top GM in the league, if that were determined solely on his picks and the consistency thereof, I don't know if I would say that.

#453 Big Blocker, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  14. maynardsmyhero-uk

Only 2 picks of 1st / 2nd rd can be considered busts ...Gholston ...

Clemens was a serviceable backup but failed to pogress so can be considered a failure

Ducasse looks a liability but deserves another season

Wilson shows flashes but has to pick it up

Of the others we drafted franchise qb , no1 cb, no 1 centre , top 5 lt , top5 ilb and a top 10 te

i will settle for that success rate when drafting players

15. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

And remember he's had a lot of very high picks to work with.

The 2006 draft was excellent and he's generally done very well with his first and second round picks but I'm not sure it's all that good overall. However his free agent signings and trades have been awesome.

16. maynardsmyhero-uk

also through trade we acquired a top 10 cb , cromartie who is in his prime.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Right. I agree.

As someone else mentioned here, one can criticize Tanny for packaging picks and moving up too much, meaning the total number of players taken in the draft is below average as a result. But on balance i give him credit. He took a chance going for Revis and Harris, but that draft worked out brilliantly. Others? Not quite so much.

It's definitely more of a mixed bag with Tanny on his picks compared to other parts of his job.

18. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Tanny's draft record is pretty damn good. Look around the league and compare his record pick for pick with any other GM and he is in the top 10 as far as drafting good players.

The problem is, he trades a lot of picks away and monetizes them, for lack of a better term. Now if you consider he got an upper tier starting CB with a 2nd (Cro) and an upper tier WR with a 5th (Holmes), that can make his draft record even better. The trades come with a proviso only if you are in the camp that allows for lumping a draft pick trade into a GM's overall draft record.

Now his 2006 and 2007 drafts are perhaps the best back to back drafts in franchise history. 2008-2009 can be really good or really bad depending on how Sanchez shakes out.

2010-2011 are very difficult to say. Even if we add the likely bust factor of Vlad, it really doesn't change anything. The lack of an off season really hampered that class's development, so we will not be able to tell till the end of 2012 most likely.

FTR I am not too optimistic on 2010 draft. I am hoping for the best though.

19. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

He got one year of Cro for a second (worth it in my book) and one year of Holmes for a fifth (clearly worth it).

The Cro/Holmes re-signings go into the free agent list and we are way too early in those deals to judge them yet.

20. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

He uses mid/late round picks as currency. That is a legit knock on him, not making enough picks. However if you go throught the mid to late picks he has made many of them are still in the league if not contributing.

I went back and looked, not including 2010-11, he has drafted 23 players, avg 5.6 players a year. Out of that a total of 7 are our of the league or will be shortly:

1.) Titus Adams
    2.) Boar Hunter
    3.)Jason Posciak
    4.) J. Bender
    5.) Gholston
    6.) M. Henry
    7.) Ainge

That is a good track record so far. Again, if you are saying he doesn't make enough picks, than yes I agree. Then again that isn't a zero sum argument, which Big Blocker and you I am sure agree.

#460 Miamipuck, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011