vlad 'the turnstyle' ducasse

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyJETS0511, Aug 15, 2011.

1. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

/thread.

holy reasonable post, batman!

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

If I recall correctly he got completely smoked on an edge rush by a 2nd string DE or a LB. That's not really a mental lapse but it happens. Too early to write him off but holy shit he looks bad. His run blocking is good but you can't be that bad at pass protection and see the field.

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

And it only took him 7 years to do so!

4. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

I don't know what you are talking about with averaging out stats- I made no mention of that, but lets move on.

Put your money where your mouth is. What's going to be in Vlads future?

Good backup this year?
    Bad backup this year?
    Good backup Next year?
    Average starter next year?
    Good starter next year?

What do you predict Vlad will be over the next 3 seasons?

My guess is liability backup this year
    servicable backup next year
    cut before his 4th year.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

By the way, if he doesn't let up any sacks next week, I won't be impressed. That's like being impressed with an alcoholic who doesn't drink for 8 hours. If he keeps the QB's clean for the rest of PS, then maybe we can talk about the guy being solid depth this year. Right now, that's quite a stretch.

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I agree with what you are saying, and posted as much.. Vlad has a lot of potential and all the physical tools to be a very good lineman in the league down the road. I would absolutely not give up on him or call him a bust. He has a lot of room for improvement, and I believe he will. They have to let him stick to one position and just learn that.. he is clearly not able to pick up everything they are throwing at him right now, and was probably the most affected player on the whole roster by the lockout.

That being said, I cringe every time I see him out there protecting Mark Sanchez. It's really not worth risking it at this point. The Jets were sticking to 3 step drops and quick throws last night and he still got beat and got his QB hit more than 1 time.

I realize that it's not physical errors that are causing him to fail on these plays, but will that make you feel any better saying "Well Sanchez broke his leg on a play Vlad had a mental error.. he'll learn his assignments soon, but man his physical tools are great!"

6. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

So to all the Vlad Defenders... a simple question that we can agree or disagree on.

In the unlikely event that a guard or tackle went down, would you be OK with Vlad stepping in to fill the role this season?

I am not, and can't imagine anyone else is.

7. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

the fact that he was drafted in the 2nd round from UMass,,,like he was some kinda secret that they didnt want anyone getting to first,,,,,when on any given day probably Westhoff could get around Vlad from the outside ...ALMOST makes me question the whole gaddamn organization

8. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

After watching parts of the game last night, I only stayed awake until Turner broke his leg mind you. Vlad did look like complete shit, I have read everyone saying that he has too much on his plate, that he was a developmental pick. Well a 2nd round pick needs to be an impact player not a guy that take 3-4 years to develop. If Vlad wa a 5th round pick or later in the draft that is one thing but the production from him up to this point is crap.

Great teams can not afford to miss on top draft picks, between that jerk off the Ghost, Thomas, Vlad etc....we have to hit pay dirt with these picks or this team is in for a piss poor future. Granted I am not saying every pick needs to be Revis caliber but the first few rounds need to ahve guys come in and play big roles on this team if we want to win.

9. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

He's huge, I don't think he'd ever go on a hunger strike.

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I think we found #28Martin's second account

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

ummmm.....
    Ummm, Hunter got a 4 year deal. So he's gunna be a backup. I've said he's a year away. This full season, the offseason in the film room, and then he should be viable, which means if he sees the field he won't shit the bed.
    You would cut a serviceable backup? Why? A team would then scoop him up and improve on what he's done and maybe he turns into Wayne Hunter but instead of being 30 he's 26. If he's a serviceable backup by year 4 he's staying on this team.
    If he doesn't give up any sacks next week, this thread is getting pissed on. Realize that. If he has a good game, then everyone will return to this thread and call every alarmist an idiot and they were right etc. That's how this place works.

If he gave up no sacks this week, we'd be praising him for his amazing progression. And then next week he had last nights performance and someone would make this thread. I can set my watch to how this place will react.

12. Klaus Casanova

Klaus Casanova New Member

I am certainly not. Not without Rob Turner. When Damien Woody was hurt, Schottenheimer was able to disguise Hunter's inexperience by motioning Turner as a tight end. This is a glaring example of how important the loss of Turner is for any stretch of time.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

what are you talking about? BigCotch has been right on this whole time.

That's great that you found a few running plays where he blocked very well but that doesn't mean he is going to have a "bright future" If he cannot or will not pass protect than he will not ever see the field on sundays in sept-jan EVER.

So far I have nothing to be encouraged about watching him play. You guys have got to be kidding me when predicting a bright future for this guy, BigCotch is right, raw or not, a 2nd round pick should have at least provided some competition against guys like Slauson, Hunter and Turner: not exactly world-class lineman.

How anyone can use the fact that he has been in three different positions as an excuse is beyond me. He's been used in all three because he sucks enough that they can't find a good position for him! Couldn't give Slauson any competition at LG, Cannot pass protect so cant be used at RT and is doing the same thing at RG.

Also, as for the analysis on how he plays. It was dead-on, you guys are right if he can improve his awareness and get his assignments down, and block confidently he might be worth something. BUT THATS THE ABSOLUTE WORST CHARACTERISTICS A LINEMAN CAN HAVE. You might as well say if he can get better, he might be good: uhhhh yea. Offensive Lineman need to be smart and need to know that they must confidently HIT someone on every play. That is why Slauson beat him out handily, and Hunter as well, they recognize that above all else don't be tentative and learn the offense.

An offensive lineman that for whatever reason messes up his assignments (not gonna necessarily call him dumb) and for whatever reason won't go out and block someone confidently on pass plays is USELESS, especially in the NFL. That's nice that on a few running plays where it worked out perfectly that he could latch onto someone he pushed around. A guy can be ALL WORLD good blocking one-on-one but that is less than 20 percent of what a lineman actually does.

He was getting McElroy killed trying to block 2nd/3rd stringers (guys who WERENT drafted in the 2nd Round). Can you imagine if Slauson went down in the regular season and this guy had to block a capable starting DL/LB all game? or worse a good one... yikes. Not to mention that in regular season games coaches spend all week game-planning. They would quickly pickup on his deficiencies and scheme blitz him all game long.

Mr. T. get on the phones please, we need actual O-line depth.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Thank You for proving me correct.

15. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

I'll put this thread to rest

If you were a QB and you had Vlad Ducasse as your lone blocker and James Harrison coming at you, would you be OK with that?

16. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

NDMick I'd just like to say I 100% agree with everything you've said. You have to give the guy time, especially since he's been moved around so much.

However, the fact remains that he is so bad at pass protection right now that he's not startable. He is not even a decent backup right now. He really kills our OL depth.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

and that's why he's a year away........

/thread.

Not one person is saying he's good right now. That hypothetical is going to be agreed by everyone that he should protect Sanchez this year.

18. PoPo

PoPo Member

The guy was drafted as a project and as far as I know. If I'm wrong please correct me O have no problem admitting Im wrong. Its going to take this guy a good amount of time and the lockout didn't help.

19. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

I don't see any progression. I know its a short year and all, but you can study assignments. You can look at film. I don't see the improvement. To me he looks just as bad as he did last year.

I have to agree - I see him as a liability this year, possibly a serviceable backup next season, a so-so starter in 3 m-a-y-b-e....and at least 4 to have any shot at being a decent starter. That's f-o-r-e-v-e-r.

....and I don't think he ever going to be dynamic enough mentally to be super good up front. He simply doesn't appear to be terribly smart. I just don't think he is a realistic project. His ROI is too long.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

a year away???? no way in hell after last night's performance he can be seen a year away.

I bet the freakin Jets coaching staff strongly disagrees with you.