Revis' mentoring of Wilson- offseason regimen

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Aug 10, 2011.

1. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/08/after_training_with_darrelle_r.html

After training with Darrelle Revis, cornerback Kyle Wilson looks to improve in second year with Jets

Published: Wednesday, August 10, 2011, 4:30 AM Updated: Wednesday, August 10, 2011, 5:31 AM
    Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Their days began at 8 a.m. in Phoenix.

At Fischer Sports, Darrelle Revis and Kyle Wilson threw themselves into a rigorous sequence of physical therapy; core work with sledgehammers, tires and medicine balls; 40 minutes of flexibility exercises; speed work indoors and out; defensive back drills, and strength training with ropes and sleds.
    Video: NY Jets Darrelle Revis talks about playing a full season with a full training camp Video: NY Jets Darrelle Revis talks about playing a full season with a full training camp NY Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis talks to media about being able to start the whole season with a training camp under his belt and also about helping teammate Kyle Wilson in his 2nd year and about getting to the ultimate goal of a Super Bowl.

At noon, the Jets cornerbacks ate lunch. They spent afternoons breaking down film of their performance last year and the opposing receivers they expect to face this season.

This is the routine that helped Revis achieve All-Pro status. And it’s the one he introduced to Wilson this May during a month-long boot camp as Wilson worked to transform from an inconsistent rookie to a solid nickel cornerback. Already in training camp, his coaches have seen a change.

“Right now, he’s different,” coach Rex Ryan said. “And I think he’s carrying himself differently.”

Part of the difference, Ryan said, is Wilson’s strength — a necessary attribute in Ryan’s aggressive defensive scheme. But it’s also confidence, something Wilson’s coaches saw take a hit when the first-round pick had some early struggles last season.

This year, the Jets are counting on Wilson to be consistent in his nickel cornerback role alongside Revis and Antonio Cromartie — three cornerbacks Ryan has said he’s very satisfied to have for at least three more years.

“I want to play consistent, play well and be a factor on the field,” Wilson said. “That’s my attitude coming into camp. That’s why I worked so hard this offseason.”

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said Wilson’s rookie struggles were “a little overblown.” But Wilson no doubt hit some early bumps, which the coaches attributed in part to an information overload.

During Revis’ holdout, Wilson was getting time at the outside cornerback position and nickel cornerback — which he did not play at Boise State — as well as trying his hand at punt returns.

When Revis injured his hamstring, Wilson was asked to start in Week 3 at Miami, a forgettable performance in which he got beaten a few times. Calling Wilson “snakebitten,” the Jets turned to Drew Coleman the following week. Coleman’s performance limited Wilson’s role until later in the season, when Wilson earned back some playing time.

“He had some confidence issues,” Pettine said. “I think it got a little overwhelming for him. As a rookie, that is a lot of pressure, especially to be in our defense, our style of defense. Sometimes that’s the hardest position. If your confidence goes as a corner, very similar to what happened to Lito Sheppard two years ago.”

Enter Revis. Also a former first-round pick, he understands expectations as well as anyone. So he invited Wilson to Arizona — to train together, and to get to know each other better.

At first, Wilson was amazed at Revis’ industrious approach to the offseason, said Brett Fischer, owner of Fischer Sports. But Wilson also was a sponge, gaining strength and knowledge and confidence daily.

One target area was Wilson’s core, Fischer said, which ties into balance and how fluid your hips are — critical for a cornerback. Will Sullivan, a speed coach and defensive backs coach who works out of Fischer Sports, also refined Wilson’s technique: working with him on using his hands against opposing receivers in the permitted 5-yard range, instead of just being a mirror image to their movements, and teaching him to slide with receivers in the slot, rather than backing up and allowing them space to get past him, as he did last year.

Fischer saw the positive reviews of Wilson’s performance in camp so far and texted Revis Monday night: “Thank you so much for bringing Kyle out. You made a difference.”

“I remember my rookie year, it was tough,” Revis said. “My head was spinning left and right, and I just think it’s just one of those things, you need to learn and grow. Now you can see it. You can see the confidence when he walks into the building, and you can see the confidence when he steps out on the field.”

Safety Jim Leonhard has noticed Wilson is spending less time thinking about his responsibilities on each call, and instead focusing on reading the receiver. His footwork is cleaner, Leonhard added, and he’s becoming more assured in the blitzes the Jets like to draw up for their nickel corners.

Wilson is ready for the season to start, so he can show the rest of the league how far he has come.

“The big thing is, I haven’t forgotten last year,” Wilson said. “I go out each day trying to improve and use that as experience.”

#1 bojanglesman, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

4 weeks of doing all that stuff. wish he had some ota's, but i think hes going to win the starting slot job. if, kyle is what we think he will be, and having strickland as the 4th cb.... looks good.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Nickle is his to lose.

4. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

This article is your typical feel-good hype bullshit but I believe every word of it. KW showed he has top-flight NFL talent but his brain was still in college. Confidence is paramount to success, if he's got it and his knowledge of the defense is up to speed Wilson can shine.

5. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

Excited about Wilson. Having three good corners would be awesome.

6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

With Revis around and Cro locked up, at what position is Wilson getting the most of his reps? Last season he was thrown in as the first team CB in training camp then was playing a different position when the regular season began. At least this season he'll have more consistency.

7. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

On first day of training camp, Jets DB coach Dennis Thurman called Kyle Wilson to hi

" "If you want to pick a guy to shadow to get yourself better, [Revis] isn't a bad choice," defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said Tuesday.

Say this for Wilson: He's eager to improve. He picked up and moved to Arizona, on his dime, working out with Revis and trying to think like Revis. Physical training aside, they spent an inordinate amount of time studying tape, mostly of wide receivers on the Jets' 2011 schedule.

Revis let Wilson into his world, sharing his insider secrets. He taught Wilson the importance of reading body language, how a receiver can tip his intentions. How you can tell if it's an out-breaking route by which leg is up in the receiver's stance. How you can determine if your man is the No. 1 read by his demeanor as he breaks the huddle.

Wilson went to Revis' offseason hideaway and, right there in the desert, discovered a fountain of knowledge.

"To bond with him, I thought that was big," said Wilson, who soon will be moving his locker so he can be next to Revis'. "When he called, I said I'd be there."

Wilson entered the league with a lot of hype, but he got roughed up by the Miami Dolphins in Week 3 and eventually lost his nickel-back job to Drew Coleman. More than his job, Wilson lost his confidence, according to his coaches. A cornerback without confidence is a gunslinger without a gun.

ESPN New York Hall of Fame

You choose the inaugural class for ESPN New York's Hall of Fame. Vote now!

"It got a little overwhelming for him as a rookie," Pettine said.

After the season, the Jets' coaches did an intensive breakdown of Wilson's 2010 performance, evaluating every play. Removed from the week-to-week intensity of the season, they were able to look at him objectively and they determined that it was better than they thought. Reports of his rookie struggles were "overblown," according to Pettine.

On the first day of training camp, secondary coach Dennis Thurman summoned Wilson to his office and apologized. It's not often a coach will do that, but Thurman felt it needed to be said. Wilson thanked him.

"Yeah, we lost a little confidence in him, but we were trying to win games and the expectations were high," said Thurman, explaining why Wilson dropped on the depth chart. "When we looked at the cut-ups in the offseason, we saw that Kyle played pretty well overall." "

More here- http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...tage-opportunity-train-darrelle-revis-lockout

I'm glad they apologized, and I agree that is was way overblown.

8. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

I agree with Pettine that his struggles were a bit overblown.He had a lot on his plate, from the start, and no Revis to help him.Really,he didnt have much of Cromartie either because Cro was learning himself.Hopefully,he improves and makes an impact.If so,that could be huge for us.We'll have teams very one dimenional out there.Improved Cromartie and Wilson + promising rookies...this might be the most anxious I've ever been for a pre-season.I love when players take initiative to perfect their craft without being told.

9. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

Not like it was hard considering where he started, but Wilson's play dramatically improved over the course of the regular season into the playoffs. He went from "total liability" to "competent depth cornerback." Hopefully, he makes another big leap this year to "above-average corner," which would be great for the D.

10. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

It's great to see that Wilson isn't sitting on his first contract and just hoping to become a better player. Instead, he is working at his craft and learning what it takes to become a professional. Kudos to Revis for giving Wilson a look into his preparation. That's leadership.

11. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Great articles.

With the growing tendency for multiple receiver looks, slot receivers being so important especially with one corner who nobody throws against..and another who played pretty damn well....the nickel is a huge position for this team..huge. Hope they spent a bunch of extra time on Mr Welker.

12. lax7

lax7 New Member

kyle wilson will be very good in my opinion.

i was looking forward to seeing him be are number 2 but he will be a number 3 if the jets decide to keep him and not trade him.

cro signing that big contract put his chance start at 2 to rest

13. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Lol at Pettine calling out Lito.

14. surviveone

surviveone New Member

Kyle Wilson is not Vernon Gholston

New York Post Updated: Thu., Aug. 25, 2011, 8:21 AM
    Jets CB Wilson not getting picked on any longer

By HOWARD KUSSOY

Last Updated: 8:21 AM, August 25, 2011

Posted: 2:52 AM, August 25, 2011

Kyle Wilson is not Vernon Gholston.

After a rookie season in which the Jets cornerback struggled to meet the heightened expectations that came with being a first-round pick, Wilson, unlike the released Gholston, appears to be molding into the player the team thought it was drafting with last year’s 29th overall pick.

“He’s having a great camp,” Mark Sanchez said of Wilson yesterday in Florham Park. “He’s a first-round pick. He’s supposed to be a stud. We saw flashes of it last year and now he’s starting to be more consistent.”

Replaced as the team’s third cornerback by Drew Coleman early last season, Wilson has regained the spot with Coleman’s departure to Jacksonville and is eager to contribute to the loaded Jets secondary in the manner he knows he’s capable.

“Everything from last year, you get to do it all over again and that’s the beauty of the game,” Wilson told The Post. “I feel a lot better and definitely have a better understanding of how things work. I want to be great, so I expect [bigger] expectations. I’ve worked harder to be a consistent force out there.”

While Sanchez already endures difficult practices, throwing against Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie, the third-year quarterback now has to account for someone he admits he used to take advantage of.

“Before you could try and pick on Kyle and understand exactly what they’re doing on defense and he’d kind of give it away,” Sanchez said. “[It’d be] obvious he’s coming on the blitz, so we’d adjust the protection and you’d send [tackle] Wayne Hunter out there and he’d just knock him over. That’s what happens your rookie year. Now, he’s moving all over the place so it makes it a lot more difficult. He’s come through a couple times clean and totally fooled us.”

During a play in practice yesterday, Wilson was matched up with Santonio Holmes in the slot. Just before Sanchez snapped the ball, Wilson left the receiver and faked a blitz, causing the offense to hesitate, resulting in a false start. The 24-year-old clapped a few times, said a quick word to his teammates and immediately lined back up for the next rep. He’s learning quickly.

“The big thing I did last year was take notes on everything,” Wilson said. “I have to know what’s going on. You have to know it like the back of your hand. That’s one thing in the offseason I did, studying up the playbook and the terminology, really all the ins and outs of all the coverages, what this is for and what we want it to look like, understanding it at another level.”

Sanchez said he noticed a difference at the beginning of camp. The soft-spoken cornerback was being much more vocal. The change was also evident to linebacker Bart Scott, known to say a few words himself.

“He’s comfortable in telling Darrelle something, where he was taking instruction, now he can give out some out about how he wants to play certain formations,” Scott said. “He had all the tools, but sometimes you don’t know which tool to use until you’ve been in certain situations.”

howard.kussoy@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets...icked_on_dhBFfTzUtq6ExWdH25VwrM#ixzz1W2mzZGcO

15. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Wilson has been all over his WR. When he allows a pass completion, he is right there, and is a sure tackler. Looks like the game has slowed down for him. Hopefully like Revis, Wilson becomes ahead of the game, and knows where to be .5-1second faster. Looks good though.

Funny thing is the only tackle I really remember him missing last year, was a sack on Brady hahah.

16. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

That play notwithstanding he played really well that game.

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

This is a clear cut example of what happens when you show a player some patience. Not every 1st round pick is going to contribute to their full potential right out of the gate.

Glad to see KW growing into his role. I look forward to seeing that translate on the field during the regular season.

18. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I've noticed Wilson playing off his man in the nickel then closing once the ball is thrown. Seems like he will allow the short catch but then makes the tackle as soon as the ball is caught (at least in the Cinci game). Not sure if the coaching staff wants him to play that way as to not over pursue and get beat over the top. He's looked much improved and I haven't seen mistakes.

To be honest I think Wilson would have a bigger impact if he played as a ballhawking FS.

19. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

What's awesome to think about is that if Wilson continues to improve and becomes an above-average corner (not even great, just above average), then we are completely set at all CB positions for about the next 5 years.