What Are We Doing With Salary Cap Room?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Namath12, Aug 7, 2011.

1. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

You're right on the money with your analysis. We basically substituted 2 starters on defense and 2 starters on offense. We became younger and bigger which is a good and necessary thing. Ultimately, we will rise or fall on Sanchez's development/performance.

2. bibigon

bibigon Member

Didn't the Patriots do this too? I mean, I don't know a ton about Solder, Dowling, Vereen, or Ridley (their high picks), but the Pats have had a lot of success plugging young players into their system lately as well.

3. twown

twown Well-Known Member

i'm sure someone said this already but...

let's say we stand pat. can't we give that $9M NOW to players whose deals were restructured (for nmamdi, etc.) and thereby save some of that money against the cap in the future?

distribute the $9M to the players who restructured and save equivalent cap space next year and beyond? i love that idea.

unless i have no idea what i'm talking about, which is possible.

4. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

You'd have to restructure the deals again. You can't just give a guy extra money this year and have it come off future cap you have to renegotiate, which usually means giving up something (guaranteeing an extra couple million usually) then file the new version of the contract with the league.
    Edit- so basically while you might be able to save some money in 2012 it would in all likelihood be at the expense of guaranteeing additional money against the cap in 2013.

5. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Teams will be trimming rosters in the next several weeks. There will be some surprises, too much depth at some positions plus the salary cap pretty much insures that. Its always a good time to have some extra $$ on hand to shop for veterans. I don't think we're done, its just that the players we might pick up aren't available yet.

And I don't get the hand-wringing over losing some role players in this thread. We've replaced them with more, cheaper special teamers you haven't had the chance to see yet. And lastly, I believe we will kick ourselves for letting Smith go to Buffalo. I can see him getting 15-20 snaps a game at QB qnd every other team trying to copy that again.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And here is a detailed breakdown that still shows them 8.5 million under as of yesterday. This goes along with what everybody else seems to say so we may have a situation here where there is a cap number and there is a budget number and the Jets are saying they have no more to spend because they have set a budget which is less than the cap.

It could also be that they just don't think there is anybody left out there worth spending any of that money on.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html

#46 Don, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Being in your 30's is not old FFS!!!!!11 They are young men I tell you.

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yes but in terms of football years they're fossils

9. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I have a hard time believing that the Jets budget is even a dollar less than the cap.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Gotta source?

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I don't know if there's a clear source on Ellis, though I think Ellis mentioned that he was told that by Tanny. As for Wilkerson, I've been seeing that mentioned on Twitter that Rex appears to like him a lot. Again, I don't have solid sources, but I'm pretty certain what he wrote is the "truth" at least as far as can be surmised from what's been said publicly.

12. Don

They have it and haven't spent it, I'm open to any other theories. Have any?

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Some beat writers think a trade is in the works.

I think if there are no more moves, can they advance some salary to alleviate the books in later years? 8 mil is enough room to take a player's 6 mil jump next year and move it to this year.

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

Where was this said??

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Well, I do my own share of surmising. But I try not to call them factual statements.

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I didn't think he was presenting them as factual statements. Just basically saying what I clarified, probably after having seen the same sources as myself. I don't think he was intentionally trying to make up information or mislead anyone.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Manish and Cimini I think both tweeted something like "The Jets have cap room for a move, trade perhaps?" in the past.

The second sentence is my own questioning of what can be done.

18. Don

Even a source isn't a source but usually just a link written by some hack who heard from a "source" on a team or in "NFL" headquarters. So why even ask for one as more than likely it is meaningless.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I can add to that.

Rex in his PCs has talked about how Ellis has a writstband that has kept him in position during playcalls and Wilkerson is just going to start day one because he's got the wherewithal to be an immediate starter.

Just another Tanny 1st rounder starting immediately. boom.

20. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Last week Tanny said in his press conference to expect more transactions / moves and stressed that the Jets are not done in finishing the roster. However, this was before Pool , mason , and cotchery so take it for what it's worth