What Are We Doing With Salary Cap Room?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Namath12, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Namath12

Namath12 New Member

With the Harris long-term contract, didn't the Jets free up a lot of cap space such that they now are roughly $8-$10 million under the cap? What are we doing with this money?

Seems like the decisions to let Braylon Edwards, Brad Smith, Shaun Ellis walk were motivated in part by economics. Has anyone heard of any other free agents we are targeting, or existing players we are going to lock-up long-term with this cap space? If not, I would have thought for a few dollars more we could have kept Edwards and Ellis, and possibly Brad Smith.

I have a lot of faith in Tanny, but if this team is going all-in to try to win a Super Bowl, I don't really understand holding on to a large chunk of cap space. Surely Tanny has something else planned; I just wonder what it is. Thoughts?

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yes they have lots of money and there is nobody at the moment to spend it on. Training camp cuts won't be either. I would guess they are trying to make a trade or two and so far have been unable to do it.

3. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I think this has all been covered already....but

Edwards was a timing issue, the Jets more than likely made him an offer when he still thought he was going to get #1 money. They could not wait and lose out on Burress, so they went ahead with the deal in hand.

Smith was offered way too much from the bills for a guy who would be no more than a ST player and occasional WR. Good for him, great money.

Ellis was going to be no more than a rotational backup at this point. Rex seems enamored with Wilkerson.

4. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

This article on nyjetscap.com suggests two things: Saving up to pay Braylon (obviously not happening now) or restructuring contracts to take a bigger cap hit this year in order to lower the cap number for next year.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/capoptions.php

5. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

we're gonna trade for Osi!!!!!!!

6. warpedsoul

warpedsoul Active Member

If the FO and coaching staff are happy with the players that are in place now, I'm all for restructuring to pay more this year.

But I have a feeling that Tanny will be Tanny and he has a few aces up his sleeve. He's not done yet.

7. Don

Well, it seems the numbers we have all seen may not be correct.

JennyVrentas Jenny Vrentas
    Rex says Jets "are pretty much down to it," salary-wise. Said team won't bring in many more players, if any. #nyj

8. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

That would probably make the most sense, in fact. nyjetscap is a cool site, but it's not like their numbers are "official." Isn't that where we've been getting the "10 million under" figure?

9. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

I would think something is imminent.Why else would you let signficant players go when your a player or two away.If Tannenbaum did this just to save cap space for the future, he's an idiot.I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though.I think a trade is in our future. That being said,it does worry me that I haven't seen ANY type of trade talk other than that one Desean Jackson rumor which appears to be bullshit.

10. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

The Jets are getting ready to trade for Thaddeus Gibson and sign Ricky Sapp mark it down.

11. Don

They had that number but it was based off the number I think Fox( forget that, it was NFL.COM) reported on Thursday. All of the contracts still aren't posted with the league yet. Still, you wonder how the reported and actual numbers could be so far off from each other.

#11 Don, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  12. Klaus Casanova

Klaus Casanova New Member

This makes the most sense to me, and is likely why the Jets FO, aside from the Asomugha incident, have been operating like a team in dire salary situation.

I am sure that Tannenbaum could have signed veterans to back loaded contacts to mortgage the future for the present, but he learned how bad that works out from Bill Parcells.

13. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I assume that they have tried to leave themselves a little space in case a player that they really like gets cut before the season starts, but this is pretty much the roster that we're going forward with.

Don't expect a big move (certainly not Osi.)

14. ........

........ Trolls

Yeah, the Rex comment was less surprising to me than this notion that we had a ton of space sitting under the cap.

15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Jets didn't save tons withe the Harris deal. Details aren't out yet, but Harris will avg $10 mil when he was getting under $11 mil with the tag. If u think 1 mil is huge, then great.

16. Don

Jets saved 6.4 mil this year with that deal and that was said at the time.

Here is the NFL.com list from Thursday night. Shows 8.9 mil before Cotchery was cut and before Mason was signed...still it begs to be asked how the numbers could be so wrong...or are they? We will see when the official lists are out.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/08/04/bucs-top-teams-with-available-salary-cap-space/

17. flajetfanson

flajetfanson New Member

10 million versus 11 million but how much of the 10 million is spread out over the lifetime of the contract?

18. Don

19. REVIS ISLAND 619

REVIS ISLAND 619 New Member

another $910k to spend. would like to have a quality vet on the line for more depth. i love all the rooks but even with them i feel we needed more. were depending on them too much.

20. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Lesson number one for living in 21st century America: whatever happens, whatever you do, blame the economy. Haven't you heard there's a recession on? In these harsh economic times, there's just no way the Jets could have paid more than $910,000 to Ellis.

The Ellis thing was motivated by age, Tannenbaum went with that axiom that its better to give up on a player a year too early than a year too late. I think it's a miscalculation, I think he gave up on Ellis at least two or three years too early, but we shall see. Edwards leaving was motivated by Tannenbaum's apparent infatuation with Plaxico Burress. I'm convinced that without Burress in New York, Edwards would be locked in as the Jets #2 receiver for the next few years at 5 or 6 mil a year. And Smith, well that wasn't really motivated, the Jets were too busy romancing Asomugha to give Smith the time of day so he walked away. Also, Smith found a better opportunity, Chan Gailey made Kordell Stewart into an NFL quarterback. I can imagine Brad Smith taking Ryan Fitzpatrick's job. There's no reason to think Brad Smith was overly eager to stay on this team, he's never been shy about saying he wants to be a quarterback.

It's something I've been wondering too though. The Harris deal was one thing, and then the Jets cleared out space for an Asomugha contract worht 12 mil a year and then signed Cromartie for 8. Unless theres something I'm missing, the Jets have room to maneuver. Maybe Johnson