Is derrick mason going to sign?????

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by section134, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

It was actually based off one Rex Ryan comment. Don't remember much Pool buzz out of camp.

2. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

LOL Kerley shouldn't be anything other than a #4. As a #3, you're basically a starter with the amount of 3 WR sets most teams use. You guys really trust this guy to play that much right out of the gate?

3. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Malcolm Floyd back to Chargers, so Mason is going to have to get more $$.

4. ukilledkenny

The Jets didn't use a lot of 3 wide sets last year even though WR was a strong point. The slot position is basically a starter in New England or Indianopolis. Not on the Jets. It is a complimentary role.

5. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Don't know until I've seen him play. If the CS trust him, why wouldn't you?

6. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Cotchery played plenty last year as a #3. IDK, I guess if they trust him, I will, but I don't like trusting a rookie as an integral part of the offense. And if someone gets hurt (very possible with Plax on the team) you guys trust Patrick Turner to step in? Either way, I'm saying we need to sign somebody.

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

That's true, plus Keller can be split out into the slot..

My concern is not having another solid veteran as a stopgap in case Plaxico is not fully ready to go or suffers any kind of injury this season, which unfortunately is likely. The odds of us getting 16 games from a near 100% Plaxico is very slim.. especially at the beginning of the season.

8. #17 with a bullet

#17 with a bullet New Member

9. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

This whole starter issue is just bizarre to me. I seem to recall Holmes, Edwards & Cotchery on the field together a lot. Besides pre-game announcements, I just don't think see why that is such a big deal. It had to have been asking him to take a pay cut, and everything else is just damage control. Cotchery probably won't say anything else because he's a class act and also because he needs to put on his happy face for free agency (since nobody likes players who are critical of their former teams.)

10. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

To me it seems like the Jets must know something to let him just walk away, could it be he may take a lot longer to be 100% after the back issues. If he took a big hit over the middle would that be it for the season and then were really screwed without a 3rd receiver. Something just does not seem right.

11. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Bet Mason goes back to Baltimore now.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets actually used a very close percentage of sets with 3-5 receivers as they did 2 receivers, I think Football Outsiders calculated it at 46% for 2 receiver sets and 43% for 3+. I wouldn't call that 'a lot' but it seems like they're trending upward with that type of attack.

And the hiring of Tom Moore leads me to believe they're going to be opening a more passing-oriented philosophy this year.

13. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

At the age of 37,,,, what is he looking to make money wise,,, Anyone know.???

14. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Mason blows. He is a huge step back from Cotch. I hope this rookie pans out at slot and Burress can toughen up before start of the season. Either way Ground 'N Pound.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Mason blows?

Learn football.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

One question about those numbers - did they count Keller as the 3rd WR if he was in the slot?

17. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

theganggreen.com 180° in 5...4...3...2...

18. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

that and he also left out the most successful guy in the bunch ... blair white

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He was undrafted.

He used draft picks from rounds 5 and 6.

20. ukilledkenny

That number seems high based on my recollection of the season but if those or the numbers then my recollection must be wrong.

There is one factor that can make this issue pretty much moot and that is Mark Sanchez. He was given some very nice training wheels his first two years between a dominating run game year one and 3 top level wr's year two. This year it's gonna be on him to make the offense go. If he is ready for the task then this whole issue of a rookie slot wr or another veteran stop gap will become pretty much moot.

The good QB's in this league make their wr's look good, not the other way around. We all believe he is the real deal, time for him to show that he really is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.