Jets reach out to Shaun Ellis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Jul 31, 2011.

1. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

Looks like most of us agree Ellis needs to return and for good coin.
    So how much do you think will Shaun Ellis cost?

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I dunno what you mean by "good coin". $2m/per seems fair... Not sure how our cap situation is, though.

3. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I think you had it spot-on in your first post, BonScott. $3 million seems like a reasonable number. The length of the contract is another question.

4. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Tom Brady was the worst quarterback in the league last season. That's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it.

...shit, I actually kind of like being able to re-write history.

5. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I guess Tannenbaum is ignorant too for wanting to bring Ellis back at or near the vet minimum.

6. nixhead

nixhead Banned

Offer Ellis 1.5 million and he will jump on it. He is worth that much at this point. No multi year contract. Throw some incentives in there. Give him the vet minimum and 100k for each sack. He gets 10 sacks thats another mil.

7. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Huge fan of Ellis and would love to have him back as a depth guy, but Matt Roth might be cheaper and brings the same depth. I definitely want one of the two to sign for an insurance policy.

8. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Take way the pats play off game and this board was pretty full of people saying thats the end of his Jets career....now we are talking $3 milll for a rotational DE.

Has been a great player for us ..yes ....is he worth $3 million....no

Tanny does a great job of removing the green tinted glasses and paying people on what they can give now not based on their CV

9. NEJets

NEJets Member

One thing Pats do better than us is they always cut "old" players at right time.

10. fdcnyc

fdcnyc Active Member

Really?? I don't know about that . To say they always "cut" players at the right time is a little crazy. Faneca and D Woody got cut at exactly the right time it seems . Ellis was better than expected last year I wouldn't mind getting him on a one year deal. He might have a little left in the tank .

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

While I don't think that Ellis has been entirely 'beastly' in his career, he has been in the top echelon of strongside defensive ends in the league a number of seasons in his career.

And you'll have to forgive JWWS. He has never forgiven Ellis for taking the contract that was offered to John Abraham and summarily declined. If you do a search on the word 'Ellis' in his posts, you'll see what I am talking about.

12. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

The Patriots worked out veteran DL Shaun Ellis (Jets) today, ESPNBoston.com's Mike Rodak is reporting.

13. JeTsFaN_in_SoUtHFloRiDa

JennyVrentas Ellis was compensatory pick for Belichick, no? RT @MikeReiss: The Patriots worked out veteran DL Shaun Ellis (Jets) today

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Freaking Patriots.. that would be terrible to see.

15. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

Yes, he was the pick that the Jets got for Belichick.

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Like I said in the free agency thread, if Shaun Ellis signs with New England for a couple hundred thousand dollars more than vet minimum, then he can go fuck himself.

17. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

I dont think he will, I think hes just doing this to make the jets sweat, see if he can squeeze a little more out of them.

Or maybe Im just delusional, I just cant see him playing , or wanting to play anywhere else.

18. JeTsFaN_in_SoUtHFloRiDa

Just pay the fucking guy, were like 10 mill under the cap or some shit. Who cares. Were done signing big ticket FAs and all our rookies are signed.

19. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Other than the playoff game at Foxboro did he really have a particularly good season last time out?

20. JeTsFaN_in_SoUtHFloRiDa

Well its hard to grade a DL bc they dont really make the stat sheet, there job is to eat blocks and let the LBs run free and make plays. That said he was pushed around in the run game but his pass rushing ability (pats po game aside) was virtually non existent all year.