Jets open to trading Cotchery (rumor)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pavlus53, Aug 1, 2011.

1. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

haha yeah he's definitely gone.. You can see it in his face when he named all the receivers and he was about to say Cotchery but he stopped and then said Keller.. haha im pretty sure Cotch is a goner.. that blows but lets see what other kinds of moves we make.. I think Tanny will surprise us again somehow..

2. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

If we lose Cotch we NEED to bring in a second TE who can catch / block a bit.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He's not talking about Nick Mangold.

(However, Moore is arguably the most underrated run blocking guard in the NFL - no reason to get rid of him for a while)

4. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Linemen are most certainly not washed up in their early 30's. I'm well aware of that. Brandon Moore's well aware of that, too.

Brandon Moore and I are also well aware that he's been one of the best and most consistent guards in the NFL.

Guess what? Brandon Moore's going to want to get PAID. Maybe he'll be content to hit the free agent market at 33 in 2013. That would be swell. But the guy just had his first major surgery and if I were him, I'd force the Jets' hand and make 2012 my cash-in year.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Cotchery will still be starting this year in 3 WR sets, and i'd expect him to start in a fair amount of 2 WR sets.
    He had an off year likely due to the back injury, but the guy can make plays and has earned his dues in this league.
    I wouldn't be for a trade unless they got something cooking.

As to next year being cut.....probably depends on the level of success he has this year.

6. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

Let's be honest here. Who's gonna trade for Cotchery after he just had surgery on his back? If the fact that we're trying to trade him right after surgery doesn't say anything to a potential suitor, then we should take them for all they're worth. Otherwise I truthfully don't think anyone is going to want to trade with us. Honestly I rather keep the guy since he's been our most consistent receiver since Chrebet.

7. ........

........ Trolls

At $2 mil a year in base salary with no new bonuses? Someone will want him.

8. HOI

HOI Active Member

I think people are being blinded by the fact the Cotch is a good guy and a fan fave. If its time for him to go then so be it. I would trust the organization opinion far more than mine or anyone elses.

I get the chemistry thing with Sanchez but good qbs need to suck it up and get it done anyway. cotch certainly didnt look himself last year. Get what you can for him while you can.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think the operational word should be 'uncharacteristic' here, but if his back injury is a long term concern, then I can understand why the Jets may be looking to move him.

But the Jets brought Tom Moore in to help make the passing game more effective, which means they may be trying to following the trend of 3/4/5 wide offensive attacks that the league is moving toward, although they weren't as devoted to the 2-wide receiver set as you would expect most 'run-heavy' teams to be - Football Outsiders calculated that the Jets had 46% of total offensive snaps with 2 receivers, and 43% with 3/4/5 receivers.

And even in an injury-plagued season, ProFootballFocus has Cotchery listed #10 in snaps played from the slot (455) and one of only 3 in the top 10 that was not considered a starter.

In those 455 snaps, Cotchery dropped 6 passes as a slot receiver. Keller dropped 7 passes when lined up in the slot. Wes Welker led the league with 8 passes dropped from the slot position.

I think that this move is either due to his injury or due to his cap number, not due to his importance in the offense, certainly not because he is so far down the list of options on our offensive roster. Especially if we're trying to evolve our passing game.

10. ........

........ Trolls

If Cotchery plays here this season, he won't be here next season. It doesn't depend on his level of success. It's a financial matter.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Trade him to the browns for marcus bernard. Done.

12. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Yeah you can kinda tell when Tanny isn't being completely honest because he gets awkward. It seems like Cotch is definitely on the trading block. I really wouldn't mind getting a few draft picks for him if we're just trying to free up cap space. We've already started grooming 2 WR's from this past year's draft.

#292 GatorGar, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  13. ........

........ Trolls

A few!?! Try one mid-rounder.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

If there's one GM that can get a 6 and 7 in 2012 and 2013 for a 3rd string possession WR, its Tanny.

And that, sir, constitutes as a "few" draft picks.

:grin:

15. zllehs

zllehs New Member

Cotchery and a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Osi anyone?
    maybe some money left for Bray?

16. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

This isn't fantasy football. Do you know why Osi is mad to begin with, he wants more money.

17. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

They don't need J-Co, and they want a 1st for Osi.

18. zllehs

zllehs New Member

True but he and the Giants aren't even on speaking terms...
    think they will let him just rot on the sidelines this year?
    think he wants to just not play?
    its a game of chicken and hopefully they blink at the jets

doubtful though... the Gmen wont trade him in the division or the city

19. zllehs

zllehs New Member

yea Jerry reese called around and he isnt getting a 1st so that has now come down to a 2 or 3

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ooh I got a better one, Cotchery/B. Thomas/4th rounder for Osi and Antrelle Rolle!!!!