Jets open to trading Cotchery (rumor)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pavlus53, Aug 1, 2011.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Yeah and the way it worked out Cro's agent pretty much had us bent over. I was fully in support of going into the season without Co if we just added a average vet CB from somewhere.

In 2009 we didn't have 2 elite CBs starting, and our D actually fared better.

This whole offseason I wanted it to be about Sanchez, for whatever reason the Jets want no part of Braylon and now are going to trade Cotch. Cotch may of had his worst season last year but you could tell he was still Mark's security blanket, mostly.

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Hahaha please become a mod :p

3. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Someone else said Burress was 38 and that's why I made the comment.

4. ........

........ Trolls

He really doesn't make enough to be restructured. Almost half of his cap hit comes from his signing bonus. You can't restructure that. The only thing to do if you foresee money trouble next year is trade him and accelerate the hit.

Cellar-door mentioned this explicitly, and I alluded to it, but here's our salary cap status for 2012:

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary12.html

That's $88 million in money on the cap. This does not include:

Santonio Holmes (with the tiny cap hit this year, he likely drives the number up to $100 million)
    Antonio Cromartie (let's assume $6.5 million, which pushes it to $106.5 million)
    David Harris (If he signs for, say, $7 million per, we can assume at least $5 million, pushing it to $115.5 million)
    Eric Smith (Assuming $2 million on the cap next year, $117.5 million)
    Wayne Hunter (Assuming $2.5 million on the cap next year, $120 million)
    Current rookies (Assume $3.5 million)

$123.5 million. Pace and Scott can't be restructured next year, and they were the MOST friendly restructures for 2012. Sanchez can save up to $4-5 million on the cap.

So, we're looking at $118 million at best in 2012. This year's cap was $120 million. The cap will rise next year, but how much? Will it be comfortable for us or allow us to sign FAs (Bryan Thomas, LT, Plax all disappear off the payroll)? Trading Cotch this year saves us $4 million next year.

If Tanny picks anyone else up this season, it'll probably be a one year deal. There's just no room available next season, and he's never had this little flexibility with contracts to perform his magic.

5. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

He adjusts to a new weapon well. He adjusted well to bringing in one new receiver in 2009. He adjusted well to bringing in one new receiver in 2010.

We're expecting this guy to adjust well to- with the exception of the shortest tenured wide receiver- a completely new wide receiver corps.

The kid doesn't do "Jets West" because it's swell fun. He does it because he's a smart kid and he recognizes that quarterback-receiver chemistry is critically important. There's a reason Tom Brady blew the fuck up last season once the Randy Moss was replaced by Deion Branch. It sure as shit isn't because Deion Branch is more talented than Randy Moss.

6. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Think of how much better the chemistry was between Sanchez and Braylon last season, imagine how it could be this season.

Getting Braylon back is the only way this makes sense.

Even then I would have rather done it another way

7. ........

........ Trolls

Gives you a sense of why the team spent that last pick on Scotty McKnight. Even though they've never played together on a team, they have a definite rapport and chemistry.

8. MaximusPrime

MaximusPrime New Member

^This.

Cotchery is a stand up, all around excellent guy that you'd want as your team mate. I despise the idea of this move entirely.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

S.smith is coming off a big injury.nicks isn't exactly durable.the fact that they made an offer to plax says they aren't thrilled at wr.

And they are not getting a first fot osi

Nit saying the giants would do it.but it wouldnt be a bad deal

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

before the lockout ended everyone figured we would need to pay Cro 7-9m to keep him

11. MadBacker Prime

That makes sense then, because he's making $8.

Hey you, good job! :up:

12. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Precisely. I'm not going to suggest that Scotty McKnight is going to take the NFL by storm, but there's a valid reason why drafting McKnight is a better decision than drafting a more-talented Dane Sanzenbacher.

Like I said, I'm trying very to hard to not let sentimentality influence my opinion of these developments, and I just can't see how this is a smart move for the team. I can't envision a scenario that will benefit Mark Sanchez in 2011 that involves losing the one receiver that has been here for the duration of his short career.

13. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

And J-Co isn't exactly coming off a insignificant injury either. Even if Smith missed time, they have Manningham. If he didn't miss time, J-Co would be fighting for the #3 WR spot there, not exactly worth it to the Giants.

They don't exactly have to move him for pennies either, which a 3rd and J-Co would be...

14. MadBacker Prime

Cotchery is still recovering from his backiotomy, that's a hell of an injury.

15. Phear

Phear New Member

Of course our d fared better, we had injuries in 2010 we did not have in 09. Revis, Leonhard. Hell we even had Jenkins for a while before he went down in 09, unlike last year he went down in game 1. we were still a top 5 defense despite those injuries.

#175 Phear, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  16. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

Tanny clearly said "i believe we are set at the WR position".

One of the draft pick is going to be #3. Were trading cotch either for draft picks or a defensive player for cotch + pick/s

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

If Cotchery's traded, another receiver will be acquired. ...either through a trade or we'll just pick up a vet free agent.

18. kaboom

kaboom Member

Just sayin.

That other than the heroic catch JC made with a pulled hammy and another one in the NE playoff game, Cotch had a very poor 2010 season. Numerous drops on catchable balls and he was never a big seperation guy to begin with so drops for Cotch is a big problem.

It may very well be that with an older Plax (who didn't get any faster in prison) that the Jets Brass feel that swapping Cotch out for another wideout that can stretch the field some more is in the best interest of the offense.

I am not opposed to the idea, depending upon who they would bring in to play that role. I am opposed to the move it were not connected to bringing in another WR from the outside as I think that it would be too risky to shed a vet like Cotch from an unproven replacement (without a high draft pedigree).

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Oops forgot about jco's back.
    *backs away slowly*

20. MadBacker Prime

Point is we don't need 2 Elite CB's to dominate the league, or win a Super Bowl.

Actually it's quite rare for a team with 2 elite CB's to win the SB because that usually means they have some glaring holes elsewhere.