2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Fabian Washington signed somewhere (the Saints)- after Cro, the only option is Mr Rogers

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Which is why I say if Cro's agent is still asking for crazy money for his services than go get Rogers before he realizes we have to overpay him.

3. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

You seem to think this is still 2008. Clements was benched due to poor play in 2009 and his coverage skills have diminished to the point that it's a yearly discussion whether or not to move him to Safety. Also, he'll be 32 this year.

I've always liked Clements, but I'm losing zero sleep or respect for Tanny because we didn't sign this declining player for 5 million+

4. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

I don't think people are hating on Cromartie, but rather saying that it seems likely he will be overpaid.
    I think Cromartie was clearly one of the 3 impact corners available along with Aso and Joseph. Now if he signs for less than Joseph that is a great move, near the same? not bad, but more and you have overpaid. Clements is not as good a player as Cro, but if he is playing for half the money it might have been a good move to get him and put the money elsewhere (roth,WR, S) so I think it is less Cro being hated on as much as concern about over paying or by some that paying close to 20% of the cap on two corners isn't worth it.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

He played against the Jets a number of times, he gave up the winning TD in Super Bowl 42, he scored a pick 6 against the Jets in a playoff game, and he's been a Pro Bowler and an All-Pro. Why are people spelling his name wrong?

I tell ya, that Samuels Jackson, what a bad motherfucker that guy is.

pats-hater, do you like Sams Adams beer?

6. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

you think he just now realizes we're gonna be overpaying? we need to shit or get off the pot soon this is getting ridiculous...you give aso the benefit of the doubt because he's one of the greatest to ever play the position but you can't wait around for cromartie like this

7. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

All I know, is once again it seems we are being held hostage by Cro/Aso's agent. Twice in a week makes ya look a lil foolish, no? Maybe its me...

8. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

+1

Tanny is not looking a lil foolish from my perspective b/c I think he's done a good job thus far, but there may be a feeling w/in the FO to look for alternatives at CB based in part on the Aso merry go round.

9. rock316nyj

rock316nyj Member

Not sure if its in a previous thread, but I was reading up on Derrick Harvey who was cut by the Jags. Drafted 8th overall, two slots ahead of The Ghost, a lot of scouting reports raved about his athleticism and say he has good wingspan, and could potentially make a good transition to 3-4 OLB. With the Jags in 3 yrs, he's recorded 8 sacks (not great but 8 more than Gholston) and could possibly make the transition to OLB. Your thoughts?

10. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

He just isn't explosive enough to be a pass rusher imo... in a 4-3 or in a 3-4...

11. rock316nyj

rock316nyj Member

Not that Calvin Pace has been great, but if I remember correctly, didn't he do next to nothing his first few years in the league? It seems that many DE/OLB players struggle in their first several years adjusting to the strength and speed of the NFL game.

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

He played DE and was awful, then they switched him to OLB and he became a much better pass rusher.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Yiiiikes. Methinks it's time to pursue Carlos Rogers before Condon fucks us yet again.

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta
    RT @caplannfl Veteran CB Phillip Buchanon visited the Jets this weekend. #nyj

Wonder why we are so interested in Buchanon and not even a little bit in Rogers (thus far)... biggest difference (in favor of Buchanon) is that he's had 20 INTs while Rogers only had 8... but the latter is clearly the better player.

#2674 Mambo9, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  15. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

I agree he'd be an interesting flier (if he's cheap, of course.) Although I've never, ever seen him play an NFL down. Anyone see any Jags games? Is this guy a Gholston clone or is there any potential there?

16. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Phillip Buchanon met with the the jets weekend. per adam caplan on twitter.

17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I think Buchanon is more versatile than Rogers

18. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

However I seem to remember Buchanon is stirctly a nickel-dime guy while Rogers can also play on the outside... am I correct?

I'm guessing the thinking behind this is "If we can't get Cromartie then Wilson is our better option on the outside and we need someone to play the nickel/dime along with Strickland". Might make sense I guess...

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I think the idea is 'we're either gonna 20+ million to the CB spot for the next few years or we're gonna give the kid every opportunity in the world to win spot'

20. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

What we need our quick dudes that could keep up with receivers who go across the middle (and can tackle of course). Kyle Wilson's man coverage is pretty good. Just needs to turn the fuck around.