2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Honestly he was my #3 (Brad Smith was as good as gone, never considered him as a possibility to return) but that was under the assumption that Braylon was actually in the team's plans somewhere.

At this point I'm fine with either option, this is taking way too fucking long camp opens tomorrow no?

2. JeTsFaN_in_SoUtHFloRiDa

Which is highly possible.

3. ........

........ Trolls

If you sign Cro, Wilson will never grow into the job. Plus, with the maneuvering we've heard suggested, you'll end up with a cap shitstorm to navigate next year. Yes, we all trust Tanny, but he does a lot of cap pushing. It's not a disappearing act. If he removes our biggest aids in the cap game next year, the Pace and Scott restructures, we'll be severely limited in what we can do and who we can work with.

4. So the answer is give Wilson the job now, whether he's ready for it or not? What if he's not?

I have high hopes for the kid, too, but if he's not ready for it, it sabotages the short-term hopes for the franchise.

5. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Cromarties attitude has sucked since the end of the season. Never was going to negotiate with us without testing the market and said so. We test the market and he throws a shitfit.

Not with Edwards we did screw with him, after he came out and said he would even give a discount.

6. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I don't buy the argument that Wilson will never grow into the starting job if he has to play ~3 seasons as a nickel back. The NFL is pass happy these days, so the #3 corner spends tons of time on the field. Also, because Revis follows the other team's #1 receiver all around the field, being the Jets nickel back doesn't mean that you'll never get experience playing on the outside.

Plus, if Wilson ends up being nothing more than a very good nickel back...isn't that pretty solid value for the #29 pick in a draft?

7. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Probably. How likely is it that he has improved sufficiently since then to be the surefire #2 corner for a team going for the Super Bowl?

8. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I am pretty psyched to have Plax - I think he will be a man on a mission this season to prove his value and he'll be an excellent target up top and over the middle for Sanchez. Something tells me this is going to work out very well for Plax and the Jets.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

This will be Cromartie's last big contract and he has 100 kids to take care of, including himself. After football he'll probably be a custodian somewhere. It's hard to blame him for chasing the big cash, and now that he has all the leverage he can just sit back and let his dickhead agent do his thing.

I'd still like Cro back, but I'd be down with Carlos Rogers as a stop-gap.

10. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

You haven't been paying attention ... the Jets were interested in Braylon ... but he price HIMSELF out of the Jets plans. All reports have him seeking #1 WR money ...

I don't blame Cromartie one bit for wanting to see what his worth is on the open market.

11. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Nickel is a different position from #2. Covering guys out of the slot is different from covering guys on the inside. Wilson is much more suited for the latter and by putting him in that position the Jets would be giving him a better chance to succeed sooner.

12. ........

........ Trolls

Cato covered it, but why do people keep asking why he couldn't play the nickel for two or three years? We're talking about whether Cromartie should be signed, NOT whether a vet should be brought in. Cromartie is looking for 4-5 years. That's 5 or 6 years of stashing him in the nickel when we drafted him for his potential outside.

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Did we? Maybe the idea was for Wilson to develop into one of the biggest nickel CBs in the league while Revis and Cro lock down the outside...this is further evidenced by us going all in on Aso (understandbly...our defense would have been unreal with that guy) and now apparently Cromartie.

14. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

As an aside, I'd be shocked if Cromartie gets a true 5 year contract from anybody. He's got too much baggage (a lot of people seem to be forgetting how he got run out of San Diego recently.)

I agree that I don't really want Cro around for 5 years. But if he signs a 5 year deal with a bonus structure that pretty much guarantees that we revisit his contract in 3 seasons? I could live with that for sure.

At the end of the day, I think that the Jets need to go all in to try and win in the next 1-2 years. Cromartie represents the best chance to do that. If we can sign him to a deal that's at all reasonable, I could live with Wilson being set back.

15. CatoTheElder

I really don't like that logic. Do we really need three CBs to be pro-bowl/all-pro calibre to succeed against passing offenses or just guys who can match up to the talent level of the receivers they would be facing.

Yea a lot of QBs can hurt the secondary but they still need weapons to do it and I'm not sure how successful they would be at acquiring those weapons and still having the money to field a competitive team.

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I think it's safe to say you need three capable corners to succeed in today's NFL if you don't have a consistent passrush. Not saying Wilson was drafted to be a Nickel-lifer, but I'd feel A LOT better about our chances with three sound corners given our lack of passrush. Strickland is good but we all know he'll get hurt.

17. CatoTheElder

Until he started getting hurt in Rex's first season as HC, Strickland was very capable as a nickel. That's about the talent level I would expect from a nickel back.

18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Agreed, but he's a bandaid. We need another capable CB in there. I think Fabian Washington or Carlos Rogers would be fine as a stop-gap.... I'm starting to think more and more we should pass on Cro, but another body is needed imo.

BTW, is it gay pride week here or something? What's with all the queer avy's? (Not that there's anything wrong with that).

19. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to Ihedigbo? Didn't we extend him a contract offer a couple of days ago?

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

lol, true. But IDK, I just sense the Jets will resign him. Who knows what Al Davis will do, though.