2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

The thing is, if it wasnt for us going after nnamdi we wouldnt have had people restructuring ther contracts.

No one is giving up their salary for dawan landry

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Aso was worth the pursuit, but it didn't pan out.
    At this point, i dont want our O or D to take a step back. Signing Cro, Edwards, and Ellis is the best bet.
    We'll have essentially same team as last year minus Woody, Brad Smith, and some role players. But added on some big D lineman and role players.

If you said there was a chance to keep majority of team together at end of last season, i'd have signed up for that.

3. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

guys who restructure often end up making more money, it is just spread out more. like renegotiating this year's number but guaranteeing more money the next 2 years.

4. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

How upset would you guys be with James Jones/Chris Carr instead of Edwards/Cromartie?

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I would not be happy.

6. Very slight downgrade, but probably cheaper. If that came with a good, young pass-rushing OLB, I would take it right now. The team would be more complete that last year's. I think Carr is a very slight downgrade - VERY slight - and Jones might be close to equal with Braylon.

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

james jones has terrrrrible hands.. I'd much rather have Braylon.. bigger, stronger, and has a rapport with Sanchez

8. I've heard that about a certain receiver in the past...a guy whose name is all over this thread.

9. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Not a whole lot difference when it comes to hands between Jones and Braylon. However I agree with you in that I'd rather have Bray back since he knows the system and knows Sanchez alot more.

10. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Don't forget how key Braylon was in crunch time last year. He can be as good as T.O. if he puts his mind to it. James Jones is way too inconsistent. Inconsistency of key personnel = losses that may keep them from getting into the playoffs or a getting home field.

They need a big possession receiver to compliment their slot guy and speed guy. Braylon is a perfect fit.

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

True.. difference is one did it on a crappy team with crappy qb's when he may or may not have mentally checked out. The other dropped a ton of passes with top end qb's on good teams. Would definitely rather have Braylon back, that's all..

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

but it can't come with a good young pass rushing olb.there is not one available.i'm sorry to single you out but between the board and the radio,everyone screaming about upgrading the pass rush is driving me nuts.there are no pass rushers available this year.doesn't everyone think rex and tanny would have like to been able to upgrade that position too.

so please everyone stop with the "we need a pass rusher" because its not going to happen

//rant

13. Pick6Revis

Pick6Revis New Member

James Jones is not close to being on Braylon's level, what type of crack your on.

Give Braylon, Aaron Rodgers and this wouldn't be a discussion.

14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Priority # 1 with Aso out of the picture is getting Cromartie done!

Priority # 2 is Edwards simply because imo it will be easier to trade for a WR over a 1b-2a CB.

At the end of the day all that will be irrelevant because they will both sign. Tanny and Rex will get it done and if not they will replace them with equal or better talent through trades.

15. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

dont worry guys
    [​IMG]

16. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I could live with Carr, I think he'd be fine at Nickel Back. I think by losing Aso we're gonna find out if Wilson can play in this league. Hopefully he plays much better at the #2 position which all signs would appear is more of a style suited towards his game. I don't have much confidence in the kid after that ball smacked him in the face in the AFCCG and my visions of a pick six turned into another fail.

I honestly dont think Cro is coming back btu they better make dam sure they get edwards back now.

17. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Getting Jones/Carr, players who will provide similar production for less money, would probably mean Tannenbaum will end up making a big move with the extra cap space, so I'd be fine with it. And I actually suspect this will be what happens.

Salary aside, I'd rather Edwards than Jones, but I'd also prefer Carr to Cromartie. I don't think people realize how good Carr is. He's a great fit in Rex's D and on a long term contract, his skills won't diminish as quickly as Cromartie's will.

18. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

The same type that gave you that horrid grammar.

19. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

There is alot of uncertainty on this team that will decide where we look in free agency.

Do they like Lowery at Free Safety?
    Do they not like Wilson at CB? (although this question is answered if they resign cromartie)
    Are we keeping Bryan Thomas?

All of these questions will define what we do in the remaining days of free agency.

If we resign Brodney pool or a different fs
    If we go after a Cromartie or if we go after a chris carr
    If we go after a Matt Roth or get depth behind Westerman.

The next week is going to be very interesting. And although we will probably end up losing talent to free agency between cromartie or braylon, Mark Sanchez, our D-line, and our O-line are only going to improve evening out this blow.

20. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

According to the Newark Star-Ledger, the Jets' free agent options at receiver are Malcom Floyd, James Jones, and Braylon Edwards.
    Noticeably absent: Randy Moss. Beat writer Jenny Vrentas concedes that Edwards may be too expensive, but that door hasn't been shut. This is the first we've heard of a Jets interest in Floyd, who has previously been connected to the Vikings and 49ers.
    Related: Jets, Randy Moss, Braylon Edwards, James Jones
    Source: Newark Star-Ledger
    Jul 30, 12:08 AM

I think Floyds a good receiver but I think SD's system and QB helped him alot. I am also not thrilled about his age.

I really really want Braylon back. More than anything.