How about replacing Cro with Nnamdi? (Merged x67)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Titans, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Not much cheaper, if at all.

Besides, Joseph Island doesn't have the same ring to it.

2. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

No, I'm not wrong. They dumped him because he sucked. They dumped him after his third year in the NFL, when, despite being gifted with superstars like David Boston, Tim Dwight, Kasim Osgood and Eric Parker, Brees demonstrated that he just couldn't be a winning quarterback in the NFL. And that's why in the 2004 NFL draft, instead of picking up Larry Fitzgerald (why bother?) they decided to draft a quarterback who was actually capable of winning a championship.

Brees didn't fail in San Diego because he isn't a capable quarterback. He failed because his team refused to build a talented offense around him. I know he had two great seasons- he did that because Antonio Gates emerged as the best tight end in the NFL after his rookie season and the offense became something else besides "give LT the ball."

I can't really argue with someone who's omniscient. The Steelers were one-dimensional in that game- they ran the ball. Our "one in ten fluke loss" had nothing to do with our cornerback play and everything to do with the fact that our linemen and linebackers couldn't tackle or get off the field.

As for BE and Tone... I really can't explain to you why Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes are unique talents if you can't see it with your own eyes. They're playmakers, pure and simple, and they're playmakers who have developed a solid rapport with their quarterback. Maybe Randy Moss is still a playmaker after the worst season of his career. Maybe Plaxico Burress is still a playmaker after being out of football for two years. I don't know. But if they aren't, and that's who we roll out with in 2011... we're going nowhere, regardless of how much we've spent on cornerbacks.

The formula for short term and long term success for this franchise is "give Mark Sanchez every opportunity to succeed." I would obviously be happy about having the best cornerback tandem of all time, but not at the expense of the franchise's overall success.

#262 JCotchrocket, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

except Rivers hasn't been capable of winning a championship and Brees has. I'm assuming you are defending your position by speaking from the perspective of the Chargers on why they drafted Rivers, but considering the Chargers turned out to be completely wrong on that matter it is hardly a position you want to be defending.

you also defeat your your own position by first claiming Brees sucked despite having offensive weapons, then dismissing his success afterwards because of the talent of his TE. you can't have it both ways. not to mention he then went to New Orleans and continued to perform. empirically, we have seen him struggle with talent and then succeed with talent (and without Gates, who you want to credit his success to which is obviopusly false since his success in New Orleans proves he didn't need Gates). since the talent was continuous, then the only logical difference can be he improved, and thus he doesn't suck.

is your argument really that because the Chargers gave up on him after three years then Brees sucks, rather than the more obvious and logical deduction from that scenario -- that the Chargers are the one that sucked in being able to evaluate him. considering those same decision makers have proceeded to ruin what was once a 14-2 team, while he has gone on to win a Super Bowl, I think the rather obvious is that Brees never sucked, the Chargers do.

4. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Pretty sure that he was being sarcastic.

5. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

He was finishing his 5th year in the NFL. His last 2 years in SD he went 27/7 with 3000 yards in 1 years and 24/15 with 3500 yards in the next, and took SD back to the playoffs for the first time in a decade.

Again, he was not resigned because of Rivers, and not because he sucked. Plain and simple.

Brees had 1 bad season that led to the Chargers drafting Rivers. And they only did that because he was a 2nd rounder and not a 1st.

As for NA, you are severely underestimating what 2 dominant corners will allow Rex to do. Rex depends on corners more than any other coach in the NFL, because his system is designed to utilize great secondary play. You give him 2 great corners with Jimmy Leohnard and another decent corner, and this defense might rival the 85 Bears.

So, while BE and Tone are good wr's, they are not top 10 wr's. And if we are being realistic, we know the key to this team winning is running the football 25 times, and playing great defense. If Mark does something good, that is a bonus. But, we will not be a vertical passing team with Rex, Schotty and Mark here. It wont happen. So, to waste big money on 2 wr's is foolish.

6. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

One he was being sarcastic about the "stellar" weapons Brees had his first two years.

Second Rivers has proven he is capable of winning a title. What he did in the postseason (2008?) getting to the AFCCG against the Pats and playing with the torn knee ligaments. Plus Rivers is considered a top 5 QB pretty much on the consensus. He needs the rest of his team to not suck when it matters. It also wouldnt hurt if his superstar WR just showed up and played ball last year...

7. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

From Cimini

If I'm the Jets and I can get Nnamdi Asomugha for Darrelle Revis money (about $11.5 million per year), with a creative, backloaded deal, I'd do it. I'd rather spend a few million more for Asomugha instead of overpaying Antonio Cromartie. How often does a player of Asomugha's caliber hit the open market? I say go for it.

8. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Immediately following the signing:

Jets Future in the Toilet, dump all Their Money into Asomugha

By Rich Cimini

9. JCotchrocket

[​IMG]

First of all, yes you're right- the Chargers let go of Drew Brees because they had Rivers on the bench. And the reason they had Rivers on the bench? Because it seemed clear to them when they had the number 1 pick that Drew Brees couldn't be a successful quarterback in this league.

...but he has been. Not only has he been successful, he's been one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Unfortunately, there were people in the head office and Charger fans at the time who said "we'll never be an effective passing offense with Drew Brees at the helm. It would be foolish to give him more weapons."

Sound familiar?

"If Mark does something good, it's a bonus?" No, dude. Team's win the Super Bowl when they have successful quarterbacks, not because they have stellar cornerback tandems. If you don't think Mark Sanchez is a very good quarterback (you clearly don't) and you don't think our offensive coordinator is very good (you clearly don't) that gives you even more reason to provide each of them with talented players.

You can't just say "Well, our passing offense won't be elite, so why bother trying to improve it? We'll put all the resources into the defensive side of the ball." That's as flawed as logic gets. Good luck running the ball 25 times when every team in the NFL knows that's what we'll do.

So... you're saying that even excellent quarterbacks need good wide receivers? That's crazy talk. We all know that if Rivers was any good, he would have won three Super Bowls by now.

...I should mention that I was being sarcastic with that post so that I don't confuse anyone.

#269 JCotchrocket, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  10. JCotchrocket

No, you're wrong again. The Chargers drafted Rivers after Brees sat for a year and then had two seasons to prove himself. His third season.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

how embarrassing.

12. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

hahahahah....without a doubt. Well done.

13. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

Cimini hopes we spend absurd money on Nnami just so we have no money to spread around to upgrade multiple other positions.

Jackass.

And what is this I hear that ESPN has actually given this retard a promotion?

14. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

lol at people who don't want aso for revis type money. what do you think holmes is getting? not as much but a lot. would that be wasting it on him too?

last time I checked, aso is the best at his position(with revis) and holmes isn't. he's not top 5. top 10 yeah.

15. bibigon

bibigon Member

Asomugha is 30 years old while Holmes is 27.

Also, the difference $7M/year and $11M/year may be the difference between us having Shaun Ellis and Brodney Poole on the roster or not. (Or two other good, but not star level players.) Depending how tight the cap ends up, small salary difference may end being key.

16. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

As has been stated 100 times in this thread, Rex uses DB's like no other coach, not WR's. Sign me up for ASO at Revis type money and sign Edwards for that hometown discount and get Moss, S Moss, Plax or Ocho to replace Holmes. Holmes is not even close to being worth what he is going to get paid.....as for the person that states our QB needs great WR's. Well didnt Trent Dilfer win a superbowl? Rodgers has one good wideout, the rest are just fill ins. The list goes on and on, the Cards had two of the best wideouts in the game and didnt win shit... get ASO plain and simple

17. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

It would be a nightmare for qbs to face both aso and revis.

18. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Is it weird that I'm starting to gain confidence in Aso coming to gang green? I'm starting to drink the Tannenbaum Kool Aid. That mother fucker is gonna pull a fast one.

19. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

It's funny because I'm like 97% sure it wont happen, but there's a big part of me that wants it to happen, and all I can think about is the Favre to the Jets talk. No one bought it at first, no one thought it could or would happen and then BAM! Favre's a Jet. So I guess the best approach is you just never know.

20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

just like me, I deem it near impossible, but you never know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.