The battle for Holmes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFanDoc, Jul 25, 2011.

1. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I agree. I'm sure most Jets fans like Braylon's attitude better regarding wanting to be a Jet for life. However, his skill set is easier to replace in this market than Holmes'. There aren't many free agents that can adequately replace the explosiveness of Holmes. The Jets front office seems to agree with that.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Braylon sign before Holmes though if the Jets are gung-ho about keeping both of them no matter what. Braylon should be easier to sign if he's honest about his intentions of remaining a Jet.

2. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

His 'Skillset" as a "tall WR" can be replaced but, You're not going to get a Randy Moss, Ocho or most other guys that Block down the field like he does...

His blocking, and all around work ethic is so underrated.

IMO, Rex gushes over Braylon in his book and how they would show film clips of the "little things" braylon does all game... and Braylon will hopefully stay.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Fuck that. Drive the price through the roof. Send him to Washington.

Sign Plax.

If He wants to get paid, let him go to Washington.

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Plax..........

5. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

This is true. I really like Braylon and I hope he re-signs. No one will replace everything he does. But its so hard to deny the game changing ability of Holmes.

He's kind of like the smoking hot chick at the bar and Braylon is the really nice one. As much as you like the nice chick, you just can't turn down the hot one at the end of the night.

6. mute

mute Well-Known Member

like I said before, I would rather keep Edwards for the simple fact that hes better at blocking for the run and has been pretty solid since becoming a JET (removed a lot of butter from his fingers).

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Holmes is nice and all, but I don't think our FO is going to give him all that cash and try and outbid the Redskins, it just won't happen

Braylon, J-Co, Keller with LT in the backfield plenty of options for Sanchez to make plays ... Keller needs to be integrated for a full 16 - simple as that, when Holmes came

8. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Will you grow a vag?

9. IATA

IATA Trolls

braylon is the better fit for this team all around. we need to throw the bank at him

10. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Holmes will be too expensive, not worth it. Besides, I think Kerley will provide a similar skill set. Braylon's the better choice.

11. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

Holmes still made many clutch plays for you guys, I can think of the Lions game and the Browns game he made game winning plays for you guys. He was a big threat. I think I fear him more than Braylon due to his big play potential

but as long as you guys don't keep both, I will be content lol

12. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

As long as we sign Braylon, I don't care what happens to Holmes.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'm not sure Kerley will ever be that kind of receiver. He's got the ability to be a very good slot receiver/return man though.

Not even close. The two aren't on the same level.

If you want to compare Kerley to a receiver we've seen a lot of, then compare him to Chansi Stuckey.

#33 Mr Electric, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  14. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

To follow up on this, Braylon was wide open on the Holmes TD, Mark just never looked his way.

15. mute

mute Well-Known Member

:beer:
    [YOUTUBE]TUY6sd3DJOU[/YOUTUBE]

16. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Start the video at 7:35. Holmes is arguably the best receiver in the NFL after the catch. As for Edwards, you can find tall receivers that can block (Michael Jenkins anyone?). That should not be a factor in deciding which receiver to re-sign. Looking towards the future, we can find a receiver with Braylon's skillset through the draft. They are not that rare. As for Holmes, there aren't many receivers with his combination of speed and route running ability. It's fine if you prefer Edwards over Holmes but don't act as if it would be a colossal mistake to re-sign Holmes instead.

17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Holmes is the better receiver. Can get open deep and is devastating underneath after the catch.

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I have moved into the Holmes 1 and Braylon 1A category BUT we have been looking for a big, physical WR like Braylon since the day we traded Keyshawn 11 years ago so guys like Braylon aren't easy to replace either.

19. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I'm a hundred percent with you. Edwards is a very good receiver, but Holmes is an outstanding true gamebreaker, maybe a top five or six guy in the league.

20. IATA

IATA Trolls

sadly, there are no other tall fast black guys in the NFL. Holmes is the only one.

you cant act like either player is unique, but you can argue the value of an big strong blocking wr who knows our system and our runners over a tall fast guy.